diy speaker wire

Is this an actual problem?

Generally, shielding is required when the impedance is high (source to pre-amp, pre-amp to amp, etc). In these conditions it is possible that the cable could pick up hum or interference.

Fortunately, the impedance from the amp to the speaker is low. This condition would not typically warrant shielded cable.

Your money might be better spent elsewhere.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Interconnects need to be shielded, but speaker wires carry much more power, so interference is much less of a problem, possibly even not at all. Even so, you can get twisted pair speaker wire from various sources. Twisted pair cables are able to reject most interference.

I like the 12 gauge stranded copper wire sold at The Home Depot for outdoor applications. It's about $0.75 a foot. You can get some spade lugs to attach to the ends of the wires at Radio Shack. If you have older Klipsches that have the screw-on terminal blocks, be sure your spades are narrow enough. I like Monster banana terminals, also from RS, for the amp end. This doesn't cost a mint and it doesn't look very sexy, but it sounds good.

Good luck,

George Roland

I made some CAT5 speaker cables using the Gomer recipe, using Belden 1585A cable that I found on ebay for $.25 a foot delivered. I only made the three strand version because the length was close to 20'. All I can say is compared to the 16 Ga. I was using on my Fortes there is no comparison.

http://members.tripod.com/beyond_gomer/origin.htm

Regards, Todd