new toy

Just bought a jolida 100 on audiogon- 745.00 NIB + ship with tube upgrades- how did I do????????????

My old lady is gonna kick my @ss

That's the CD player I use. Very good player. - One thing you might think about doing is replacing the 12ax7s with some 5751 black plates. They have less gain than the 12ax7s, but that is also an advantage to me. I prefer the sound of the 5751s.

I ask because being new2tubes, to steal a word (acroynm), I honor the copyright, I have heard rumored that you stand a good chance to get less than stellar tubes when buying.

Actually, I have been satisfied about 95% of the time. I've had a few losers, but I have had some real bargains too. If you buy from a reputable tube source, you will be satisfied, but you won't come up with a 'real score' either ---- And some of the scores I've made on E-bay have more than made up for the few losers I have got! - Not to mention that Old Stock Tubes have appreciated big time over the last 10 years. They have certainly done far better than the stock market (which I know is not saying much)

Bitten hard buy the BUG-- ya think??? If I could afford a flyswatter at this point I would squash the son of a &^&&.

Avatar?? maybe a picture of the poorhouse located next to the divorce lawyer's office- maybe just a pic of a frying pan- or guy with a black eye getting chased by a mad woman trying to choke him with audioquest spaeker cables- still trying to decide

I am hiding in the man cave waiting on the lady to go to bed so I can sneak the 2nd pair of Lascallas in the door that I bought today. Just pulled into the driveway from Cigarbum's place. Plus I used her Tahoe to go pick them up leaving her to bum a ride home from work. I rank somewhere between Osama bin laden and toxic shock syndrone on the s&^& list right about now. If she shoots me you guys can fight over my stuff.

This jolida came from a dealer in Fla. It is NIB with a warranty. I can get black for an extra 50 bucks. It is "upgraded "???with "electro harmonic tubes" whatever that is. I know NOTHING about "tubes-" unless they are choke tubes in a shotgun. I have aceess to some "loaner" tubes to try when the unit arrives. I realy needed sometrhing other than my blue ray to play CDs and I felt that this was too good to pass up for the $$$$. this was an Audiogon acution. 745 was the reserve.

i spent the afternoon listening to a box stock Jolida head to head against a 4000.00 Mac playing alternating CDs. TheJolida was just M A Y B E a touch brighter/ harsher than the Mac. But the 2 were awfully close. IMHO the Jolida is a no brainer in terms of value. Thanks for the feedback

Question- is the jolida compable with SACD??????- seems to be some difference of opinion on this.

Beg borrow or buy an sacd and stick it in there to find out if it works or not.[:P]

You lucky dog! new toys are quite enjoyable especially when they make an improvement in the sound.

I asked the dealer that I bought it from about it and he said NO. Red box and XRCDs only. but.. I was at Cigarbums house Friday and he played an SACD on his identical Jolida. Then he took out his papers and he had an review from somebody that stated that the unit is SACD compatible.

When I asked the dealer about this he said that this must have been a "single layer SACD but most of them were multi layered and would not work" So WT# ?????? I was confident that someone here owned one and had addressed the issue. I will call the factory and setle this once and for all(unless I get voice mail or an idiot-likely scenario these days)

Pat- You have some really nice stuff- how do you like the Peach?---lurking.

This jolida came from a dealer in Fla. It is NIB with a warranty. I can get black for an extra 50 bucks. It is "upgraded "???with "electro harmonic tubes" whatever that is. I know NOTHING about "tubes-" unless they are choke tubes in a shotgun. I have aceess to some "loaner" tubes to try when the unit arrives. I realy needed sometrhing other than my blue ray to play CDs and I felt that this was too good to pass up for the $$$$. this was an Audiogon acution. 745 was the reserve.

i spent the afternoon listening to a box stock Jolida head to head against a 4000.00 Mac playing alternating CDs. TheJolida was just M A Y B E a touch brighter/ harsher than the Mac. But the 2 were awfully close. IMHO the Jolida is a no brainer in terms of value. Thanks for the feedback

Electro harmonix tubes are pretty much stock tubes for the Jolida, nothing special. If the Jolida had the black Plate 5751s in it when you compared it against the Mac, I'm guessing that you would have preffered the Jolida.

Yes- I found out yesterday that the factory is now shipping them with the Electro tubes as stock. I would suspect that the unit I listened to Friday was bone stock prior to the electro tubes. I will check the box of extra tubes that I can use and see if the 5751s are in the mix. I have head enough good to go out and buy them.

With the jazz horn CDs or guitar rock selections- I did prefer the Jolida- The blusey stuff with soft voices- I preferred the mac. But they are sooooo close that it is a Bud lite/Miller lite or a BMW/MB comparison. One person is going to prefer one over the other- but results would differ. I am thrilled to have the jolida on the way but would also love to own the mac. However in my opinion- the mac is way overpriced. lots of cool stuff can be had for that kind of $$$$.

Yes- I have several s x s doubles- win 21s and 23s. Numerous o/u s browinigs and Perazzis.A load of model 70s including many rare calibers.Old Colts/ smiths. New kimbers and most of the HKs. Styer rifles with swarovski glass. Assorted benellis- AR15s and assorted browning 22s.

Really bad habit- worse than audio stuff.