What Jazz Are You Listening Right At This Moment.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does this count?

Manhattan Transfer Live MFSL

I got it in a grab bag assortment, not bad for a buck!~

Nice score for a buck Michael. I have that record also but I don't think it has ever seen the light of day since I've owned it. If I was in charge of determining what does and does not count as "jazz" I would have to nix that one. I think I would call it "swing" instead.

Sorry, I'll try harder next time. Points for stretching?

The cover has some mildew damage but disc is good. Not my cup of tea. Into the 'give away pile' with it.

Michael,

Even with the mildew, you can probably get $15 or $20 for it on ebay. Don't put it in the giveaway pile just yet!

hey Gary, does this one count? It's got JAZZ stamped on the label LOL

Sonny Rollins Green Dolphin Street. I have several of Sonny's CD's from the Concorde group purchase last year so put this on first thing this morning. Man can he cook! Dont recognize some of the names here but Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones played with Coltrane, Mickey Roker with Dizzy, and there's this really cool cat on piano- Ray Bryant- very light handed, VERY quick runs on the keys. This 'collection' LP is a bit of hodgepodge of musical styles, probably because of the two different backing bands, but enjoyable for a morning's house cleaning.

post-10755-13819456036192_thumb.jpg

This one goes waay back in time and the pace is not quite arduous but measured. I picked it up because it has guess Lionel Hampton on vibes and I really enjoy Milt Jackson with MJQ, but this is from an entirely different era- 40's I'd say from the sound and liner notes. I don't think I'm a big fan of the clarinet.

post-10755-1381945604682_thumb.jpg

Wes Montgomery: His Finest Hour. One of the greatest guitarists of any genre,

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist/releases/default.aspx?pid=10297&aid=2889

Wes is a product of Indiana I believe. Check out the players on that disc- nothing but the best. I'm starting to get so I can pick out the big names in the crowd.

Personnel includes: Wes Montgomery (guitar); Oliver Nelson, Don Sebesky
(conductor); Clark Terry (trumpet); Ray Alonge (French horn); Jimmy
Cleveland, Urbie Green (trombone); Margaret Ross (harp); Mike Mainieri
(vibraphone); Herbie Hancock, Roger Kellaway, Wynton Kelly (piano);
Jimmy Smith (organ); Bucky Pizzarelli (guitar); Ron Carter, Bob
Cranshaw, Paul Chambers, Richard Davis (bass); Grady Tate, Jimmy Cobb
(drums); Ray Barretto (congas, percussion).

hey Gary, does this one count? It's got JAZZ stamped on the label LOL

Sonny Rollins Green Dolphin Street. I have several of Sonny's CD's from the Concorde group purchase last year so put this on first thing this morning. Man can he cook! Dont recognize some of the names here but Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones played with Coltrane, Mickey Roker with Dizzy, and there's this really cool cat on piano- Ray Bryant- very light handed, VERY quick runs on the keys. This 'collection' LP is a bit of hodgepodge of musical styles, probably because of the two different backing bands, but enjoyable for a morning's house cleaning.

You're kidding, right? Sonny Rollins counts every time mi amigo!

So who did this Ray Bryant run with?

Ray Bryant (Raphael Homer Bryant) (born December 24, 1931 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a American jazz pianist and composer.

Ray Bryant began playing the piano at the age of six, also performing on bass in junior High School. Turning professional before his age of majority, Bryant has accompanied many other leading players such as Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Melba Liston and Coleman Hawkins, as well as singers like Carmen McRae and Aretha Franklin. From the late 1950s he also led a trio, performing throughout the world, and also working solo. He is also a noted jazz composer with well known themes such as "Cubano Chant", "The Madison Time" and "Little Susie" to his credit.

The musicians Kevin Eubanks and Robin Eubanks are his nephews and his brother was the bass player Tommy Bryant (May 21, 1930March 1, 1982). He also has another brother, Len Bryant, who plays drums and sings.

I am listening, and watching, "A History of Modern Jazz" which is the story of Blue Note on OvationTV. The sound is EXCELLENT and the pix, while not HD. are enthralling. Good enough to siphon off the PVR via S-Video for a DVD. I'm going to search and see if I can buy one before going to that trouble.

Folks, this is AWESOME if you love jazz.

I just switched from Comcast to DirectTV recently, and if OvationTV was the only reason it would be enough.

Dave