7.1 rear speaker question, Direct (RB) or dispersive (RS)

Rockingout

Hi everyone! First time posting here. I have a theater that I am setting up and already have for speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52 and now I am planning for 7.1. I am using the RS-52 on the sides. What speakers should I use as the rear for this system, RB-61, RB-81 or another set of RS-52? The room is 14x24 and seating is about 8-9 feet from back wall Thanks!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. A lot of it boils down to preference. Some here have WS for side and rear. If you use it for mostly HT, it would work fine that way. If you listen to a lot of multichannel music, then some form of Direct firing speaker would be better for the rears. I'm still at 5.1 but have the RB-35's for my back speakers and will use the RS-62 for my sides. Many from this forum suggest this is an ideal way to setup a 7.1 system. Direct will of course be more directional whereas the WS will be more encompassing. This again comes down to preference.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the RB-61 or RB-81 for rears. Both are great speakers.

My guess is that in your case, since the main seating is 9ft away, direct firing might be the better approach. Good luck with your system.