external amp question

shortstack31489

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your speakers will get plugged into the Rotel. Use the pre outs for the speakers on the back of the receiver, and plug them into the inputs on your Rotel. Make sure you plug the right ones into the right ones. I.E. right channel out on the receiver to the right channel in on the rotel

sounds like to me you have received sound advice.

also, like me my external amp was a xdemo and the swith at the back was set to 12v trigger and when testing I did not have the 12v trigger cord connected. so if your near no sound coming through when connected make sure the 12v trigger swith is appropriately selected.

Enjoy

sorry for the stupid question, but are these good amps? are they klipsch quality?

also, i currently have the Onkyo TXSR504. will these amps be compatible with my current receiver? so i would send the 2 front channels to the amp, and let the receiver handle the rest of hte channels?

You mean Emotiva amps? I've never heard or owned one, but they're sworn by by a few forum members here. I didn't get one because I came across a GREAT deal on my Rotel....... Yes, the Emotiva will be compatible with your receiver as long as it has preouts as described earlier in the thread, and yes, you'd let the Emotiva run your mains, and the receiver push the rest. Or, if you have the extra cash, get a 3 channel amp to run the front soundstage. (L,C,R)

• Moderators

sorry for the stupid question, but are these good amps?

I personally have not heard either of these, but both Emotiva and Acurus have been recommended and praised from many forum members. Some like Rotel, others like B&K, some use pro gear (Crown, QSC) etc. There are sooooo many options. I was recommending ones that I knew that would fit within your budget. When I buy an external amp, it will likely be the Emotiva XPA-3 which is 200 watts x 3. I will use them to power the front three and let my Yamaha power the surrounds.

I just looked at the back of your receiver and the Onkyo 504 does not have preouts for an external amp so unfortunately you will not be able to add an external amp without upgrading your receiver.

ohh, another question. if i want to upgrade the receiver, what is my best option? considering that I will get an Emotiva Amp to power the front two? I wouldn't want to spend to much on the new receiver, as the Emotiva already cost $300. so my price range is probably $300-$400 for the AVR. and I don't need the fancy features, just good quality sound to power the center, surround, and sub.