9.1? (Pro Logic IIz)

tommyboy

I read about this in Sound and Vision today. There's no more surrounds, but two "height" channels in the front. They are set at least 3' above the mains. The way it works is there is a discrete channel, just like the surrounds, that allows the processor to send signals to the speakers. They said it was pretty cool with video games, and cool with movies also. Not so much with music. Basically, say there's a helicopter taking off, it would go from the mains, to the "height" channels, and provide more of a ............. "enveloping sound". I'm a little bit skeptical, but they said that once you've watched a movie in this sound mode, normal 5.1 or 7.1 will sound "collapsed". Onkyo's supposed to start manufacturing receivers with this capability in the very near future. (within the next couple of months)

Anyone else heard anything about this new 9.1 stuff???

Here's a couple quotes:

(playing a game) I first heard the copter from behind, then it gradually moved over head. As I tilted my character's head up, the copter appeared onscreen, right where my ears told me it would be. I was able to track its movements by ear, just as if a real copter were circling.

What I heard next blew me away. During the opening scene of Ratatouille, in which a rainstorm drenches the French country side, it sounded like I was standing in the middle of a real downpour. Conventional 5 or 7.1 sounded like rain was comng from the sides on the room-an affect that seemed acceptable before but now sounded hokey by comparison.

Any surround sound aficionado who hears a Pro Logic IIz demo will instantly realize that the ht sound systems we've been listening too are missing something

Yamaha calls the extra two channels Presence channels and has had this feature for years. My 2005 RX-V750 has 7 output channels (plus .1 LFE, of course) and can be set for the usual 7.1 surround, or for 5.1 plus 2 Presence channels (instead of rear surround channels). The "height" of the Presence speakers can be adjusted in the receiver's settings.

The flagship RX-Z line of Yamaha receivers has been 9.1 or 9.2 for years, but I don't think many people actually use the Presence channels. The Presence channels use a signal derived from the DSP programs, since I don't believe there is any material yet available that's encoded in 9.1 or 9.2 surround.

klipsch had something like this on their main page. it was with Lucas making a Klipsch theater with a new 10.2 set up. the add showed the theater built, at least the inside, but i really didn't pay too much attention to it. i think once the dvd's get encoded it would be cool. maybe a little waste of money right now.

• Moderators

Yamaha calls the extra two channels Presence channels and has had this feature for years.

Islander is correct, here is the information from my owner's manual. I personally don't care to add speakers unless they have descrete sound, not derived from existing information in other channels.

post-27215-13819456014918_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Here is the link on the Dolby website.

Apparently, these will not utilize dedicated channel but will derive their content from existing channels. Again...I'll pass.

Just as with the surround channels in existing Pro Logic IIx
technology, the height extensions do not offer any new kinds of program
content to drive the height channel outputs. The extensions are
designed to more effectively use existing program material when height
channel speaker outputs are present. The height extensions can be used
to upmix a variety of sources from movies and music, but are
particularly well-suited to upmix game content.