Blu-Ray poll question....

InVeNtOr

in my current set up i feel as if something is missing. those who have seen my livingroom set up, either in person or pics, will say my side surrounds are too forward. i agree this may be part of the problem, but not the whole reason i am not that satisified.

the first bullseye was on the onkyo 805, but after reading countless reviews with nothing but positive remarks, it just may not be that.

the only other piece of equipement it could be is the HD-A3.

so my question is people who have a blu-ray player and use to have and HD player, did you notice a difference in the sound? was it like you got a whole new system? like a major upgrade? i assume there will be a huge difference between a regular dvd and blu-ray so i didn't even ask that question. i remember someone did a test between transformers HD and Blu-ray and said the LFE in the blu-ray was much better. what i would like to know is how the effects are, not just the LFE.

i might be a victim of an open livingroom with bad acustics.

i am all ready to ditch the 805 and get the emotiva umc-1 with a new xpa-3, but i may spend that money on the Oppo blu-ray player instead and see how that goes.

I have a Panasonic dmp-bd55 for blu-ray and an HD-A3 for HD-DVD and I can definitely say that blu-ray sounds better for a couple reasons. First, almost all blu-rays are encoded in some sort of lossless audio (either Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio) while not that many HDDVDs are after looking back at my collection. The other reason blu-ray may sound better is the quality of the player itself, as there are a lot of great blu-ray player options that are finally becoming affordable. However, the jump from HD-DVD to blu-ray audio quality is not nearly as big as the leap from DVD to HD-DVD is.

Did you notice a difference in sound?Yes..much better

was it like you got a whole new system? I wouldnt go that far but much better again

I actually have the Oppo BDP-83 and it is a excellent player for both blu-rays and SD dvd movies and it also shine's in SACD..DVD-A is there but wont play all as of current state(firmware)..But all in all I highly recommend buying the oppo player when officailly released! Iam also waiting the UMC-1 arrival but iam kinda holding my breath..Maybe acouple of month or more....

I have a Panasonic dmp-bd55 for blu-ray and an HD-A3 for HD-DVD and I can definitely say that blu-ray sounds better for a couple reasons. First, almost all blu-rays are encoded in some sort of lossless audio (either Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio) while not that many HDDVDs are after looking back at my collection. The other reason blu-ray may sound better is the quality of the player itself, as there are a lot of great blu-ray player options that are finally becoming affordable. However, the jump from HD-DVD to blu-ray audio quality is not nearly as big as the leap from DVD to HD-DVD is.

I think derekd2 is right

Going from HD DVD to Blue Ray was not a huge improvement but it was definitely better

berserk,

you got one of the early release players? oh i so hate you! lol i was on that list but didn't get the chance! i have to wait untill the offical release like everybody else.

falcon,

you heard my set up, did you hear anything lacking or am i crazy?

For those with HDMI issues.... The Sony Blue Ray 550, let the DVD player do the sound codecs... Analog out for you older legacy people.

YES, It is awesome...

And every picture from other old non BR discs looks great too.. And I am just at 720p.

The best Blue Ray player out there is the PS-3. HDMI a must!

For those with HDMI issues.... The Sony Blue Ray 550, let the DVD player do the sound codecs... Analog out for you older legacy people.

YES, It is awesome...

And every picture from other old non BR discs looks great too.. And I am just at 720p.

hey Indy.. question about PS3 (which I have) and analog out for the sound codes. PS3 only has, to my knowledge, one hdmi in ad one hdmi out and optical out. I have an older receiver re DTS, Dolby Digital. If i wanted to hear the new formats can I buy a cable that has hdmi on one side of the cable and the other side the rca for analog out?

berserk,

you got one of the early release players? oh i so hate you! lol i was on that list but didn't get the chance! i have to wait untill the offical release like everybody else.

Sorry...lol..Luck of the lotto....I was amazed i got chosen! But your in luck if your on there interest list..Those people will get priority first..I think there going to release the unit to public in mid april if all goes well with voteing! Which iam sure it will! Just My 2 cents..I change my avatar to show what the oppo and emotive look together..I think they mate up real good...

I still have both (HD-A35 and DMP-BD35). If I'm doing a demo for someone, the disc I'm most likely to break out is a Blu-Ray, but I've got some very awesome HD-DVDs (Matrix, Batman Begins, etc). I don't find HD-DVD, as a format, lacking, but if all you own is HD-DVD you are definitely limited on selection.

With Blu-Ray, you have more storage capacity on the disc, which equals a greater likelihood of a Lossless or PCM track. Many of my favorite Blu-Rays have the dts-HD Master track, which simply doesn't/didn't exist on HD-DVD. This isn't to say that Dolby Digital + isn't excellent, I could show you some phenomenal discs with no lossless track (Chronicles of riddick, King Kong, Transformers, Serenity).

In the near future, I will definitely rent some of the titles listed above and do a comparison. I already own King Kong on both formats, but I purchased the Blu-Ray because it had an extended cut of the movie, not because I thought it was an "upgrade." I'd say the lossless audio was a bit of an improvement, but not night and day by any means. I'm not real big on "double dipping," and I already owned the standard DVD of many of my High Definition discs, so to buy it a third time isn't something I care to do if it isn't completely worth it.

YES, It is awesome...

hey Indy.. question about PS3 (which I have) and analog out for the sound codes. PS3 only has, to my knowledge, one hdmi in ad one hdmi out and optical out. I have an older receiver re DTS, Dolby Digital. If i wanted to hear the new formats can I buy a cable that has hdmi on one side of the cable and the other side the rca for analog out?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.. Not on the PS-3 in 2009.

You MUST use the HDMI outs, to get the codecs..

Now, if a "newer" PS-3 comes out with analog outs..... With 7.1..... that would work!

I've read and read that the PS3 is the best Blu Ray player more than once, I on many levels have to disagree. The PS3 is loud and noisy, it does a poor job at upscaling Standard DVDs and is also shotty on the audio side. The benefits of the PS3 is speed and connectivity. The speed is nice, the connectivity thing is moot because BD Live is still in its infancy so profile 2.0 IMO is a waste of time.

in the 399.99 price bracket the PS3 gives the most bang for your buck but lacks in actual performance.The performance gap is closing ever so fast.

I've read and read that the PS3 is the best Blu Ray player more than once,

It connects to the internet, fixes itself of issues, and does have a great separate
audio and video card. If another format comes out it, will download
that off of the internet... hmm sounds like it is a home run to me?

That is because of the upgradeability I guess.

Yes.

I, on many levels, have to disagree.

That is ok, you can. But really say why. With your experience too?

The PS3 is loud and noisy,

I would disagree here... It does have fan noise perhaps louder than you prefer, because maybe you do not hear your BR DVD player in your standard rack. It tends to run hot too... (Loud and noisy the same thing here??) but again, away from you some distance, you should not hear it? Is this what you mean?

it does a poor job at upscaling Standard DVDs and is also shotty on the audio side.

If you have one, maybe you do not have it set up right? I would again just disagree here....

The benefits of the PS3 is speed and connectivity.The speed is nice, the connectivity thing is moot because BD Live is still in its infancy so profile 2.0 IMO is a waste of time.

Speed is always a plus for gamers, it also helps to process audio and video. Connectivity to your pre amp is HDMI, so one cable. I agree with you the BD live and profile is so new, it is not really developed yet. That said, new updates to firmware is a great thing, and again if something else comes out.. It will download it, and make it available to you too.. THAT is a plus.

in the 399.99 price bracket the PS3 gives the most bang for your buck but lacks in actual performance.The performance gap is closing ever so fast.

If you want to spend 399.99, this is a KILLER machine.. Sure if you spend 1,200, 3,000,... 10,000 - 20,000 dollars you "might" get better audio and video cards...but you should expect that too. But can you seriously hear it and see it? And will they upgrade to newer formats..?? Most will not. Were talking about shades of grey here.

When SONY launched this box, they hoped it would last 10 years or so in the market. That was a very agressive long term bet, it looks like they got it right! (OK, some early models had some issues..yes.. But today, it is a non issue.) In an age of, "I got to have it now...." you get it home, brag about it to your buddies on here, then read something else is sooooo much better and you throw it away in 2-3 years later, this is welcomed to the general public. As for us, we play new and older video games on this machine from the PS-3 and PS-2 era. With two small kids, their friends... My wife and I, it gets a lot of playing time, trust me. We also play movies on it, surf the net (yes possible and cool) ... It has performed flawlessly.

Performance gap?? OK, I will give you a lot of companies are chasing SONY and getting closer. But let's really stop here for a second... they all work off of the same standards really to be truthful. Or do you want say performance like a Anthem D-2 statement audio and video corrections through ARC in your gaming audio/video output of your BR DVD player? Heck, most Blu Ray movies are disappointing to me, because they are in 5.1. (I have 7.1) But they are getting better at going for 7.1 now it seems.

The biggest seller is the new codecs and or fixes for your machine through the internet. Add the gaming and internet options too... for 399.99 this is a great buy. I am not looking for a fight with you on this issue, but if you had one set up properly I doubt you would be saying the same things. I have a PS-3, and also a Sony 550 as well. Audio and video wise... both are just outstanding! Be careful your not getting into the hype of advertisers in print or on the net for your sole source of what is better! They gotta sell magazines or have a internet site move product too. What you get at home may change after you hook it to your system as well. To others reading this.. keep your eyes n ears open!

I've read and read that the PS3 is the best Blu Ray player more than once, I on many levels have to disagree. The PS3 is loud and noisy, it does a poor job at upscaling Standard DVDs and is also shotty on the audio side. The benefits of  the PS3 is speed and connectivity. The speed is nice, the connectivity thing is moot because BD Live is still in its infancy so profile 2.0 IMO is a waste of time.

Do you even have a PS3?

• Moderators

I've been totally satisfied with the PS3. Everyday, I begin to appreciate it more and more. Video and audio quality is fantastic. The network capabilities offers much more than just BD Live. Firmware updates, internet connectivity, download game demos, movie trailers, rent movies, purchase movies, plus standard online surfing. Fan is not noticable unless you are sitting next to it.

Picked up my PS3 yesterday...I only got one thing to say...WOW! I am totally blown away by the video quality...we watched our first blu ray movie last night...awesome....also watched Shrek 2 on Dvd I musta watched this movie 10 times...big improvement over my old Panasonic RP-62. Games are terrific....Yeah I like it. Just how can you go wrong for $399??

I have had in the last few years the LG BH-100, PS3, X-Box 360 HD-DVD, and Sony S550. There is not a whole heck of a-lot of difference between sound quality of HD-DVD and Blu-ray. I believe that products like the BH-100 and PS3 were over-engineered devices in that they were almost like prototypes and so the newer players have suffered in comparison as manufacturers have cut corners trying to find the sweet spot between excellent performance and diminishing returns. Your HD-A3 may well fall into this category (I have no experience with it) I know that the S550 sounds every bit as good as the BH-100 initially (more on this later) and I would say that the stand alone Blu-ray manufacturers are definitely challenging the PS3 with this year's offerings. I don't know about the Oppo, if they followed the overbuilt proto-design theory, it is probably going to be great. If they tried to make do with skimpy materials to save a buck, it might not measure up. One of the main complaints I have with most disk players is that after awhile they start oscillating. You can feel it if you touch the Sony S550 after it has been playing for several minutes. Build quality should trump feature sets IMO!!