I'm hooked

artto

I've never been much of a gamer.

Yesterday I finally got my PS3 configured and setup for games. The only one I have I bought for Xmas with the PS3, "Formula One Championship Edition".

I'm addicted. [<:o)][:S]

After I got the DualShock controller properly configured so the steering wasn't so sensitive and twitchy, that was it. What a great way to get wasted and waste hours of time.

Folks, if, you're going to drink and drive - this is the way to do it!!! LOL

But seriously, this thing is so cool. I sure hope they come out with a 1080p version of this. In the meantime I think I'm going to pickup Gran Turismo Prologue 5 or GRID. I believe these are 1080p. (?)

Any recommendations or comments on what's good/what's not? I don't need anything that is going to take a lot of time to start having fun. Sci-Fi stuff would be cool too.

I've been thinking about making the jump into gaming myself. I'm thinking about selling my BD player and getting a PS3.............. Just a thought for now though. I bought a XBOX 360 about 1.5 years after it came out. I played it religously for about 3 months, then didn't touch it for about 5 months; so I sold it to a friend. I dont' want that to happen again if I do get a PS3

• Moderators

I played it religously for about 3 months, then didn't touch it for about 5 months; so I sold it to a friend. I dont' want that to happen again if I do get a PS3

I don't think you will have that problem with the PS3. I'm not a big gamer myself but I enjoy playing them. The good thing is that even if you only play games occasionally, you still can enjoy the benefit of the media server, storing photos or using them as a slideshow, network capability for firmware upgrades, full internet access, download tons of game demos, movie trailers, rent or buy movies online and the best and most used feature, Bluray player. As long as you don't need multi-channel outputs (PS3 only has HDMI), it's a great unit.

If you are lokking for a great driving game in 1080p try Gran Turismo 5, all I can so is wow!

if you have a cable modem download some demos from the PS3 network.

As for sci-fi games try Fallout 3( it is a long game, kinda RPG) what a cool game or Dead Space.

Grand Theft Auto 4 was agreat game, sometimes its just nice to cause sh#t..the game is in 1080P

• Moderators

But seriously, this thing is so cool. I sure hope they come out with a 1080p version of this. In the meantime I think I'm going to pickup Gran Turismo Prologue 5 or GRID. I believe these are 1080p.

According to Wikepedia, it is.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III features 16-player online races, over 70 cars (including tuned cars), 6 tracks, 12 layouts, 60 frame/s (during races, replays are 30 frame/s), Full HD 1080p and LPCM 7.1ch high definition sound.

I love race car games myself and have always loved Gran Turismo. I don't buy many games since I'm cheap and do not like to pay $30 - $50 for a game. If I can find them around $25 or less, I pick them up. I just went online (ebay, amazon etc) to see what the current price of it is. I'm now watching a few of them on ebay. See what you've done? LOL.

As long as you don't need multi-channel outputs (PS3 only has HDMI), it's a great unit.

My A/V receiver does not have HDMI and I had 5.1 surround sound with the PS3 that I sold you so it should have a optical out but not coax.

Now the latest versions of the PS3 may only have HDMI.

• Moderators

If you are lokking for a great driving game in 1080p try Gran Turismo 5, all I can so is wow!

if you have a cable modem download some demos from the PS3 network.

I've tried to find the demo for GT5 but I do not see it. I'm guessing they just want you to buy the game. LOL.

I downloaded the demo of Wheelman. The "wheelman" is Vin Diesel. Cinematics are great, lot of fun to play. Definitely worth downloading to check it out.

You can still download the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue online but I'd recommend just buying it. It isn't any cheaper to download it and you might find it on sale in-store.

The Gran Turismo series of games are hands down the most realistic driving simulators available, although none of them feature vehicle damage. I'd personally like to see the car get damaged when I hit a wall at 200+ MPH instead of just bouncing off of it. Rumor has it that the final version of Gran Turismo 5 will have damage.

• Moderators

My A/V receiver does not have HDMI and I had 5.1 surround sound with the PS3 that I sold you so it should have a optical out but not coax.

You are correct. The PS3 does have optical output. The multi-channel output that I'm referring to is shown below called "analog output" or sometimes referred to as "5.1 Output". I should have clarified that if you want to take advantage of the new HD audio formats (DTS-Master, Dolby TrueHD etc), you either have to use HDMI or Multi-channel outputs and the PS3 does not have Multi-channel outputs. Both Toslink (Optical) and Digital Coax cannot handle the bandwith required for HD audio.

The PS3 is still working great! Thanks again. I hate that you had to sell it due to your unfortunate layoff. I hope you are back on your feet and have found a new job.

onkyo-dv-sp800-dvd-player-rear-panel.jpg

5_1out.jpg

As long as you don't need multi-channel outputs (PS3 only has HDMI), it's a great unit.

Now the latest versions of the PS3 may only have HDMI.

My PS3 is the 80GB version (no SACD playback) & it has HDMI and and optical output. I use the optical directly to the reciever (no HDMI) and get 5CH surround from the PS3

artto,

If you want I'd be happy to send you my copy of the Gran Turismo 5 prologue to make sure you like it before you buy it. Just a few bucks for shipping it would be cool. Yes

Thanks dude. I was going to maybe rent it. Best Buy and WalMart are both sold out over here, so I guess that's a good sign. I've decided to just buy it even though it's sort of a demo.

That F1 game is so cool. Even my dog is laying by the couch watching ~ like its a car ride or something, LMAO. So far I've only tried the Monte Carlo (Monaco), which IMHO, is the most difficult course they drive - but what do I know? That curved tunnel is one of the most difficult parts of the course.

• Moderators

You can still download the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue online but I'd recommend just buying it. It isn't any cheaper to download it and you might find it on sale in-store.

I was actually looking to download the demo of the game (which is a demo itself). LOL. I guess they didn't make a free demo download like they have for most of the other games. Guess I'll have to just suck it up and buy it. [:D]

I miss gaming. I was an Unreal Tournament junkie. Unfortunately this led me to hands going numb and waking with tingly arms. After giving up the game no more tingles :). I just found it easier to quit. If I ever get crapal tunnel surgery perhaps I'll play again.

• Moderators

Very weird, that was the first game I downloaded when I got my PS3. I haven't been on the PS3 network in a few months, I don't have a cable modem anymore, we moved out of bounds.

I'll check again tonight to see if Gran Turismo 5 can be downloaded as a free demo. If anyone knows where it is, please let me know. I would love to check it out.

I've never been much of a gamer.

Yesterday I finally got my PS3 configured and setup for games. The only one I have I bought for Xmas with the PS3, "Formula One Championship Edition".

I'm addicted. Party!!!Tongue Tied

After I got the DualShock controller properly configured so the steering wasn't so sensitive and twitchy, that was it. What a great way to get wasted and waste hours of time.

Folks, if, you're going to drink and drive - this is the way to do it!!! LOL

But seriously, this thing is so cool. I sure hope they come out with a 1080p version of this. In the meantime I think I'm going to pickup Gran Turismo Prologue 5 or GRID. I believe these are 1080p. (?)

Any recommendations or comments on what's good/what's not? I don't need anything that is going to take a lot of time to start having fun. Sci-Fi stuff would be cool too.

Same thing happened to me as well, Artto.

I'm a die hard PC gamer and only bought the PS3 for blu-ray and net capabilities..That was until I bought Call of Duty 3 (Yes, I'm behind the times) and Extreme bowling. I'm hooked...but only to games that mainly require the use of the right side of the controller. My brain and left hand just can't seem to work the other side of the controller.

Have fun!!!!

JJ

OK. I found another Best Buy not too far away so I went out bought Grand Turismo Prologue 5 (had some "Rewards" to use up you understand) [:D]

Pretty cool graphics. My main disappointment is that although it supports the "Dual Shock" feature, it doesn't configure for turning by simply tilting the handheld controller (like F1 does). GRRR. Hopefully the final release will include this. I really don't want to buy a "steering wheel", especially for F1 since that thing they call a steering wheel is more like the PS handheld controller.

BTW......just won my first race [*] (took about 6-8 tries LOL)

I guess I ought to put mine to use. The thing was pretty much sitting there since last September, just being a $500 heat sink and dust collector. Originally bought it since I wanted to play some COD 4 with a couple of my friends, but got busy with the skiing and work and have not really touched the thing since. I haven't tried playing any BD movies through it either.

Gotta admit, that COD 4 game was pretty bad-*** on my HT rig, though [:o]. Have been eyeing that Fallout 3 game as well, though. Also looking forward to when Final Fantasy VIII becomes available (probably should still try to finish FF VII on my PS/2, which I still have hooked up in my system).

PS. my "gamer tag" on the PSNetwork is "SkiBumMSP" if anybody is interested.