What do you put your TV on?

iTide

I am getting ready to buy the TV for our HT system. We are looking for a 52" LCD. I do not want to mount the TV to the wall. I want it on a TV stand. I would love for the stand to have a slot for a center channel centered under the tv. Well, this is hard to find! I have an RC25 so the slot has to have a little size to it, roughly 20" by 6". Any ideas where to find this? Right now we are leaning toward having our cabinet man custom make us a TV console. Just wanted to make sure we are not missing something. Oh, we don't want to go broke buying the TV stand and it must be wooden. Thanks,

i had this built for $400 and then stained for $150. quick math....$550 total. it's made out of the best oak for building furinature period. there's nothing better. the tv is mounted on wall, but you could alther the design and have the top shelf raised to allow the tv to be placed on top.

i'd try calling some local furinature dealers and see what they can do. it took me 4 or 5 different shops before i decided on this one. all the others wanted between $850 and $1100.

post-23806-13819464508814_thumb.jpg

Uh, ok - not to be jerk, but if I am going to spend $2k on something, it ain't gonna be glorified box to put my TV on, it is going to be another pair of (speakers/amps/cables/hooters/beers, take your pick), no matter *how* many noise inducing fans it contains!

Seriously though, I have some rather weighty stereo machinery, and I have most of it on an Ikea shelf that let's me get it all off the ground about 5 ft., as I have a 3 year old who likes "cool" things with lights and knobs and such - it ain't pretty, and it certainly isn't solid wood (more cardboard) but it holds an ancient and heavy CRT (sound more important than picture at this point) - and the rack with wheels cost me like $200. When I want to settle down and start buying furniture instead of CD's, DVD's, BRD's, cables, tubes, etc., I may think about one of those racks - they do look nice, but Ikea suits me just fine.

I know some of you hate Ikea, but with a little kid, the stuff can't can;t be beat - or rather it *can* get beat, and I don't feel bad about it...

Go check them out - now if you want to spend a buck or two, I have always liked the look of www.boltz.com, I have 5 (yes, I said 5) of their big DVD standing racks.

B

I know you wanted glass but I got this a few years back and can say that it is still looking good. the equipment in the picture is what I have the stand and equipment rack. I really got it to match my cherry RF-83's and fit the RC-64 which it does very nicely.

I have always liked the look of www.boltz.com, I have 5 (yes, I said 5) of their big DVD standing racks.

B, I have seen these and wanted to get the CD rack for so long but when the time came it just didn't fit the space that I needed it to so I had to make a CD/DVD rack which I stained cherry to match. I still like them and wish they could have worked out. WOW, 5, what kind of movie collection do you have?

James

Thanks guys, I am going to check out the Salamander Design items at a local shop tomorrow. My wife and I are going to Atlanta tomorrow so I will also drop by Ikea to see what all they might have. I love the standout designs stuff too though. I am thinking I may have to go with custom made. I want a quality piece and I am thinking I can have one made for what one from standout or salamander would cost. I have it drawn out, so I need to run by a couple of shops and see what they can do.

Good luck with your stand. I almost had to go the custom build route, trying to find something that will hold kl-650 is impossible. Luckily I came across Standout Designs 702, it’s the only cabinet I found that would house such a tall center.

Be sure and shop around. The quality builders I found where giving me prices close to Standout’s. I could have saved some money with custom, but you just never really know what your going to get, or how long it will actually take to build. Figured I’d spend a little more money and save on the possible headaches. You might find the same thing when you start getting quotes. Good luck