Home theatre recievers

jetboat

Looking for some suggestions for a mid level reciever for my home theatre. I hava C2 centre,S1 surrounds, Sub 10.and F2's. Something that will do True HD . I looked at the STDRG820 Sony however being new I cant seem to find any input on this one. As well I live in Canada and with the dollar diff at the moment a 500.00 reciever in the US is roughly 750.00 or more here. Any suggestions, Onkyo etc? Also thanks to all who helped with my Sub 10 question. Much appreciated. Dave

Well, I am an Yamaha man and my RX-V 663, which is a mid level AVR, has all the latest codecs and handles HD audio just fine. I do run it with an outboard amp for the front mains and it seems to make a big difference with the quality of the output as the AVR only needs to power the center, sides and rears. It is limited on the HDMI inputs but I only need 2 anyway so I am fine. I got mine through a BB employee discount (my sons friend) for $350 US out the door (including the $50 tip to the employee) But list on it is right at the $500 mark, or was when I bought it last November anyway.

Take a look at Pioneer Elite. I've loved ours for 5 years now. - Glenn

[Y]

We see a lot of receiver questions on here, and IMHO, they can be "difficult" to answer. I say that because there are SO many different brands, which all have great products with great sound/performance. I'm surprised the only two recommended so far on here have been Pioneer and Yammy. Like I said, there are SO many options! I don't mean to confuse you, but also consider: Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Denon, etc. Unless it's one of the ES ones, stear clear of Sony receivers.

I have the Yammie 3900 and couldn't be happier with it. It is my 4th Yammie and the best receiver I have ever had. While I have owned Denon, Pioneer , and Onkyo I always go back to Yamaha. I personally love their sound, build quality, and ease of setup. And they have all been rock solid!

Yeah I got the issue in the mail the other day. Sound and Visions' review of it was even better (as was What Hi-Fi's). It is interesting to see the differences in measured power output between HT and S&V's reviews. I suspect they each measure power differently. At any rate, the 3900 has more than enough power and dynamic headroom for highly efficient Klipsch speakers . Having said that I will probably add an external amp next year anyhow.

I had the v861 which is a step up from your receiver and a year older - anyway, I replaced it with a marantz 8001 and ended up making money in the deal. The marantz is 10x better on sound quality and it does the exact same thing. (I don't know if 10x is accurate, but it's a lot better!).

I'd take a look at some of the first 1.3 hdmi marantz line. They are a year old now and probably going for a great price.