American Icon Kodachrome is fading away

LarryC

Nice job on the scans Amy. 058- that face looks just like Steven, any family link?

I have a Nikon CoolScan but they stopped updating the software for later operating systems so I'll need to use an older computer to use it. I have probably 30 slide trays from my Father. All negatives and prints vanished including my very compresive childhood scrapbook with notations by Mom. Don't know when all that got destroyed. Mom went to her grave never confiding in us boys that many of our memories were no more.... very sad.

M

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Nice job on the scans Amy. 058- that face looks just like Steven, any family link?

I was thinking the same thing, nice pictures Amy. You don't think much of the pictures when there being taken but many years later they are something special, your lucky to have them.

• Moderators

Thanks, Michael!

Do you mean the 058 of the girl holding the fish? (There are a few 058s...) If so, that is also Aunt Julie. All these shots are of my mom's immediate family.

Getting good scans is as much an art as a science, and if you're looking to make archive-quality scans, it's well worth employing a professional to do it. You need somebody who really understands digital color management if you're going to get it right.

It is easy to find a pro if you have slides mounted already but almost impossible for getting rolls of film scanned. The one lab I found that could was going to charge mucho money. I have a film roll of my friends wedding I wanted scanned but it was going to be several hundred dollars????wth. My scans aren't perfect but they are good and I can make anaglyph 3d from the stereo scans with software. It takes patience and time to get good scans.

• Moderators

Titled 'beach Grandma'... is that you in the little beach lounger?

Amy, your aunt Julie was a beautiful lady, sorry to hear of her passing last year. That's her HS photo in B&W isn't it? Love that dimple on her chin, very distinctive.

Yes, that's little ol' me (mom is in the background on the dock). I still need to go though and put titles on them.

She was, and thank you. Yes, that is her in the B&W.. Steven has a similar dimple, but not quite as pronounced. That was grandpa's [:)]

Lets see

My Hasselblad is loaded with TriX, My F3 has Velvia in it, My Linhof consumes a steady diet of 4x5 Tmax .... I even have a 8mm Bolex that get a few spools of positive B&W run thru it for projection in my Bolex projector.

I still fire up my darkroom regularly

Film is only dead if you allow it to be

You're WAY beyond me!! I have a 4 X 5 Linhof, but never use it. I still have my F3, the last SLR that was basic and simple enough for me to master. I mostly use an M-6 Leica for travel photos anyway. I just bought some K-chrome 64 for my next trip.

Where are you traveling? Stop by if you're out this way! I can probably still get tickets for Strathmore for next (4/25) Friday's Klipschfest.

Larry

I went the other route and bought the lenses in between. 30 fish, 50FLE, 80T*, 120 macro, 180F4 LOVED em all, still have them. Haven't pulled the trigger in probably two years. With those, two bodies, 5 backs, lighting, and the Nikon rigs for candids I usually showed up at weddings with about $30K in the trunk. And I used them all. That was supposed to be a career for a life.

Then digital....they took the 'Professional' out of 'Photography'

...............Then digital....they took the 'Professional' out of 'Photography'

Same vibe here ... I still work as a 1st assistant for one photographer ... We go out in the summers and do dealer brochures for Honda motorcycles on location.

I tend to say that digital took the "Craft" out of photography. I feel it is still a profession ... but the dedication to craft and making a quality product has been thrown out the window.

More and faster are the only concepts left in professional photography.

Bolex, yes, I remember----no sound, no low level light capability, no widescreen, no date stamp, no indoor/outdoor compensation, poor battery life, huge tote bag, huge processing costs, huge delay in processing, no stabilization capability, requires special preparation for extreme heat and cold climates, requires a light meter and tripod, requires indoor flash stuff, Hummer required to transport film magazines, etc.

JJK

...............Then digital....they took the 'Professional' out of 'Photography'

Same vibe here ... I still work as a 1st assistant for one photographer ... We go out in the summers and do dealer brochures for Honda motorcycles on location.

I tend to say that digital took the "Craft" out of photography. I feel it is still a profession ... but the dedication to craft and making a quality product has been thrown out the window.

More and faster are the only concepts left in professional photography.

I understand where the two of you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. The craft is the same, but there is another set of tools. Just as it took more than a camera and a darkroom, it takes more than a camera and Photoshop to make a good photographer.