Guest David H

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest David H

This looks interesting. Nice job on this guys. OK, so what uses does it have? Cornscala, Khorn, how low and high does it play acceptably?

Thanks for the comment, It's uses include basically any speaker that currently incorporates a K-400, can also be used in Belle with HF Motor board modifications and of course DIY Cornscala, I also have a similar horn built specifically for Cornwall / Cornscala.

Testing, if you look at page 1 you will see this horns graph VS: K-400. The K-400 obviously will play lower, but this horn responded well from 400Hz to 6Khz, I suspect 500Hz would be an ideal crossover point.

That is an awesome horn! Its great to see a drop in replacement for the K-400. I am curious, why a 500 Hz horn instead of 400 Hz? Is physical site the reason?

Danel

Yes the 400 Hz tractix horn has a bigger mouth surface area, it is only slightly smaller than an Altec 511B.

Very nice work!

So these bolt right up where the stock K400 bolts in, and mate to the K55? Has anyone compared this horn to the 511B's with the K55? I would love to have a stock look if these sounded on the same level with the 511B's (or better).

BTW, how much? :-)

Mike

I've compared GH's slightly larger tractrix to the 511B with an Altec 902 driver. No contest, the tractrix sounded warmer with a more neutral tonal balance, natural. The 511B in comparison sounded somewhat cold, a bit lacking down below. I listened to both in a two-way configuration w/ a first-order network w/ a bit of passive EQ. The 511's did reach higher, but I still prefered the tractrix, even in this config. I would recommend running the tractrix in a three-way set-up.

Just a simple parallel RC in series with the squawker to flatten out the response. I used the RTA plot of the 511/902 combo posted on the forum as a starting point. Not sure if this is the best approach, but the result sounded nice. Wish I had a way to measure it at the time.

BTW, GH I received the horns today, excellent packing job - the horns look great. The hint of fresh paint smell is a bonus. Hope to get everything installed this weekend, but am still waiting on some crossover parts.

Guest David H

BTW, GH I received the horns today, excellent packing job - the horns look great. The hint of fresh paint smell is a bonus. Hope to get everything installed this weekend, but am still waiting on some crossover parts.

Good to hear, I am anxious to hear your thoughts on the horns, I just emailed you to see if they arrived safely. Guess I should have checked this thread first.

Very nice work!

So these bolt right up where the stock K400 bolts in, and mate to the K55? Has anyone compared this horn to the 511B's with the K55? I would love to have a stock look if these sounded on the same level with the 511B's (or better).

BTW, how much? :-)

Mike

Guest David H

This evening I built adapters for the JBL 2426J and ran a few tests. As you can see the JBL driver has far better frequency extension, and this horn is capable of much higher frequency response than I originally thought.

post-24405-13819465491174_thumb.jpg