narrowed down to 3 recievers...........help

johnny24c

I am for sure ordering one of these recievers tomorrow.Harmon kardon 520, denon 3802 or Onkyo 797.

I have Klipsch RF-7,RC-7,KSW-15 and soon RS-7.

50% music, 50% movies. want the best of both.

I am interested in detail and good base at moderate listning levels. and how much difference does the 192/24 hz converter have over the 96/24 hz. any opions at all greatly apreatiated. thanks

This message has been edited by johnny24c on 02-19-2002 at 12:10 AM

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

johnny24c,

Not so fast. Denon is good, no doubt. But check out the H/K again first. I've auditioned both the Denon and H/K models you are looking at. Both have good high-current power (the H/K =/-35amps). H/K has a warmer, richer, more laid-back sound that pairs well with Klipsch IMHO.

You should also check out the H/K AVR 220 or 320. May be able to save some cash. I'm using H/Ks AVR-110 and am very impressed with this receiver. OK, only 40 watts X 5 but I'm driving Forte IIs, SS-1s, KV-3 no problem and this system can easily handle the volume at cinematic levels. The high +/- 25 amps of high current power blows my old 100W Sony out of the water. And for music, the 50 Watts X 2 is plenty. When I test drove these units there was also no detectable difference in power when watching scenes from "Mission Impossible II". Nice thing too is that the 220/320 have pre-amp outs so if you get the bug to upgrade you can always use as pre/pro and buy a multi-channel power amp. And you will have saved a few hundred bucks in the long run. Don't buy into the "untruth" of thinking you need all these "watts" to power Klipsch speakers.

I know Denon is good too (lots of happy Denon fans in this forum) but I have had reliability problems with them. I'm trying to get a CD Changer repaired and getting service from Denon is truly an aweful waste of time. Second bad experinece I've had with them. But, I could be just unlucky.

And, I am a bit biased. I like really like H/K for the money. Either way you can't go wrong. Never listened to Onkyo so no opinion there.

Enjoy

MM

Why not the Outlaw 1050?

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

I second that? Why not the Outlaw 1050? Especially if you'll be playing equal amounts of music as movies. This purchase has been my favorite audio equipment purchase I've ever made. Well maybe except my 4.2s. Give 'em a shot. You won't regret it.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

johnny24, I just purchased the Onkyo DS-TX797B and could not have been happier with the purchase. I have heard the Denon and it does sound fantastic but the Onkyo seemed that much clearer. The 797 will allow a greater flexability for system expansion IMO. It has 3 optical,3 coax, 2 wideband inputs and 1 output, a 6 channel input for SACD and other formats. The list goes on and on. Plus the 797 recognizes the THX EX automatically when you set up the inputs correctly. I did find the remote to be sort of cryptic at first but after reading about the connectivity it is rather simple. And the remote controls every piece of equipment I have.cwm15.gif

At least give it a try, you will not be dissapointed.

2 '78 Heresy

1 KV2 Center

4 KG1.2 surrounds

1 SW-12

Thorens TD-124

Dokorder R-R

RCA DVD

No question in my mind. H/K is absolutely the best. The 520 is expecially nice. 75watts is twice as much as you ever need especially with the Klipsch. The logic 7 mode is just great and I believe they have a logic 7 II. The Denon seems to be quite popular; however, I believe this is more word of mouth than actual performance. When side by side with H/K I believe H/K wins 75% of the time. IMO

Thanks for the advice so far guys....My purchase has been put off untile thursday, So please keep them comming. I know listning would be best, but I don't have any of these close enough to demo. that would make things alot easier. So I am counting on THE BOARD.

I don't want to upgrade again for a long time. Like 5 years............

H/K recievers have the best built in amps,they are all "high current" and its true to say a 75W H/K will ouperform Denon/Yamaha/Marantz/Onkyo 100W units with ease.

Take a look at H/K's largest unit the 8000,this 5 times 110W unit can provide +/- 75AMPS current!And its rated all channels driven full bandwith!Just to look at the big torroid and large caps you know where the money went.

The H/K 8000 beats the Pioneer VSX49(a $4000 reciever!)and is the equal of the Denon 5800!H/K sounds quite good with Klipsch.

I did not and will not buy H/K for a few reasons...

1) H/K recievers feel plasticky and cheap

2) H/K recievers preamp/pro section cannot be upgraded(like Onkyo,Denon and company)

Other than that H/K is a great choice.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Do yourself a favor - get the Outlaw 1050 @ 499 and save for separates. Or just apply the $499 to separates.

A Lexicon MC12 pre/pro mated to 2 Bryston 6BST's should set you up nicely for the next 10 years.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200