v-trac demo impressions

khorn#1

One of my problems is making sure the improvements I hear are 'real' and not some psychological impression based on expectation. It takes a some time of continued listening to clarify what is reality vs. expectation. Not to mention the fact that I'm no expert.

Rudy all you have to do is swap out your original setup for the demo's and then swap them back, your ears will tell you what's right and what's not!!!

Jay

I received the V-trac demo unit this past Friday. All I have to say is WOW! - I wish I never heard it. At the moment, I cannot afford to the pursue the upgrade; however, I will probably be listing a many items on e-bay/forums to start collecting money for this upgrade - sooner or later - I have to have it.

Quite honestly - I wish I never heard it. I was perfectly content with my system - until Greg ruined my life by introducing me to the V-Trac - d*mn him!

The BMS+Vtrac is and stellar combination.

I have been listening to the system with my family (non-audiophile people) - noone wants me to do the upgrade because of the cost involved - at the sametime, everyone agreed that the BMS+Vtrac sounds significantly better than my current setup.

A common comment was that the BMS+Vtrac combo sounded very natural - the upgrade does not scream, it simply sings. It is so clear and so smooth.

Its hard to tell the difference in the upgrade when listening to instrumental music - however, it is very very evident when listening to any vocals.

I will be listening to the system pretty much every evening this week. I wan to get use to the sound of this combo. Then I am curious how long I will last when I switch back to my previous system. I want to know whether I will miss Vtac? or will I think that my previous system still sounds good?

I am also planning to audition a Oris system towards the end of the month/early September. I have the opportunity to buy an oris 200 system for about $2000 (including x-over). < I currious to know which system will sound better.

I will keep everyone posted.

I will end by saying that the VTrac+BMS might be the best system I have ever heard.

I'm glad to hear the V-tracs made it safely! Like those did you? They do sound amazing. I too found that the cost of the upgrade is simply too much for me to justify.....amazing as it is. I had the opportunity to compare the V-tracs with the Al's Trahorns. The horns are very similar in physical construction, although the material used on the Trachorn is different. I found it impossible to compare the sound of one horn with the other. The drivers are so vastly different that it was time wasted. The Trachorns, like the V-trac, produce much better mannered vocals and a much smoother mid range overall as compared to the K400. The biggest difference between the wood horns is the the driver, I'm guessing. The BMS seems to have a better response in the lower frequency range and you can hear it. There is no way to compare the BMS with the K55, it is just in a different league.

I am currently looking for a 1" driver that has some resemblance to the BMS 2". It turns out that is a tall order. For those that can afford the upgrade it is a wonderful thing.

Enjoy your demo.

If I end up going with the upgrade, I might modify my conrwalls using AL Trachorn (unless I have someone interested in purchasing it).

I think you may be able to find a 1" driver that may sound as good as the 2" BMS - but none will play down to 400hz as easily as the 2" BMS <-- and that is imperative as that is the upper limit of the Khorn bass bin. I can see many people designing bass horns that will play higher than the khorn bass bins - but after hearling the BMS, I like the fact the the mids reside in the v-trac as oppose to the bass bin.

It is a really nice upgrade, and man I wish I can consider upgrade (anyone intersted in ALK trachorn+khorn assemnbly+JBL 2470+JBL2404s???).

Greg,

Quick question - is it possible to just use the vtrac horn and buy a BMS 4592ND (i.e. NOT THE MID-ONLY version).

This could eliminate the need for the Beyma as the tweeter is already coaxiled into the mid-driver (and the x-over is built in).

That way you could simply put the vtac right in the middle of the khorn and have the sound of the tweeter+mid come from the save driver (same time since they are aligned) and elimiated the need to 3-way crossover.

Let met know your thoughts.

Thanks

I think you may be able to find a 1" driver that may sound as good as the 2" BMS - but none will play down to 400hz as easily as the 2" BMS <-- and that is imperative as that is the upper limit of the Khorn bass bin. I can see many people designing bass horns that will play higher than the khorn bass bins - but after hearling the BMS, I like the fact the the mids reside in the v-trac as oppose to the bass bin.

So far, the problem is finding any 1" driver that goes down to 400Hz or lower. To me, this is where the BMS really shines. Frankly, I'm amazed the K55 does what it does. The other issue is that such a driver needs to be reasonably priced. If you make this upgrade from a stock speaker, it is going to put quite a dent in your wallet. I already have the ALK network, the Crites tweeters, and I still find it a very expensive upgrade.

The V-trac demo is a heart breaker. I too thought my system was pretty good, until I listened to the V-tracs and it's smooth, effortless mid range.

I'm just curious. How much would you guys spend on a really good quality 1" driver?

You do know, don't you, that even the very best 1" driver will not have the same kind of sound as the BMS4592ND? The larger format has a lot to do with getting that sound.

Comparing to a stock K400/K55 setup, I'd say the improvement in sound from the V-Trac horns breaks down something like this. Tractrix wood horn 20%, 2" format versus 11/16" throat opening 45%, the quality of the BMS driver 35%.

Greg

Greg,

Quick question - is it possible to just use the vtrac horn and buy a BMS 4592ND (i.e. NOT THE MID-ONLY version).

This could eliminate the need for the Beyma as the tweeter is already coaxiled into the mid-driver (and the x-over is built in).

That way you could simply put the vtac right in the middle of the khorn and have the sound of the tweeter+mid come from the save driver (same time since they are aligned) and elimiated the need to 3-way crossover.

Let met know your thoughts.

Thanks

I don't know right now, but I should be able to tell you very soon. I've got the Jamborees up and running and I'm just waiting for Derek to get back from vacation so he can help me move them into my living room. I have the mid horns loaded with the BMS4592ND Coaxial's, and I also have Beyma CP-25 tweeters so I can try them both ways.

Greg

I'm just curious. How much would you guys spend on a really good quality 1" driver?

You do know, don't you, that even the very best 1" driver will not have the same kind of sound as the BMS4592ND? The larger format has a lot to do with getting that sound.

Greg

Greg: No doubt about the quality of the BMS 2" driver. Needless to say I would not spend anywhere near what the BMS 2" costs. What would be the point. In my case, I'll just have to work on getting as close as I can to the 2" BMS sound without spending $1600 in drivers ( I would need 3).

Coupling the BMS driver to your 2" horn was a great combination.

Well I have had them for almost a week and I am really enjoying them, I too hated to spend the cash; but I am sooooo!!!!!!! glad I did. I realize everyone is going to have a little different expirence with them in their systems, but what I am hearing is kinda like hearing most all of my music all over again or hearing it for the first time. It is a little strange when I listen to music I am very familiar with and hear things that I either never heard before or they were way off in the distance. Thanks Greg for making the effort and your time spend on a truly wonderful combonation. I am really really enjoying my new sounds.

Jay