The Addition of Subwoofers for audio playback...

Schu

I am still a little confused by the addition of a Subwoofer(or two subwoofers) as they pertain to playback of audio. In conversation, some people have said they would NOT add a sub for music, and some folks add two(left right)... is this a personal preference or is this a setup issue in making sure that the subs do not over power the main l/r klipsch speakers.

I was thinking about adding a pair of 10" subs to add some low end on my heresey fronts, but if its a waste of money for audio then I will forgo that addition

thanks

Go somewhere that you can listen with a sub.....and without. If you can experiment with placement even better. You'll hear and feel the difference. If you can demo or borrow a sub to try in your listening room that would be best.

I think one reason why a lot of people don't like a subwoofer for music is that many subwoofers aren't integrated very well into people's systems. The result is overly emphasized bass or subwoofers who are a one note wonder and don't have any output other than an annoying boom-boom-boom with no musicality.

I could easily overpower my other speakers with my SVS Ultras but I have them dialed in within a couple decibels of my other speakers and it sounds amazing for movies and music.

Most people don't take the necessary time to find the right place in the room for the sub, the correct crossover settings, the correct output level, the correct phase level, etc. It takes time to get everything set up right but once it is I wouldn't ever recommend against a good subwoofer for music.

Heresys roll off pretty early, you will need a sub for the very low end. The reason some people don't recommend subs is that it's better to have a hole in the low frequency than to have an overpowering sub. If you want a cost effective sub try the 10 inch Hsu Research. I think they have a 30 day return policy so you'll just be out some shipping if it doesn't work for you (I think it will). One subwill work unless your room is really big or you like to play really loud.

Thanx, Russ

... I have them dialed in within a couple decibels of my other speakers and it sounds amazing for movies and music.

Most people don't take the necessary time to find the right place in the room for the sub, the correct crossover settings, the correct output level, the correct phase level, etc. It takes time to get everything set up right but once it is I wouldn't ever recommend against a good subwoofer for music.

I agree. I also use the EQ program in my AVR and it sounds excellent.

I think one reason why a lot of people don't like a subwoofer for music is that many subwoofers aren't integrated very well into people's systems. The result is overly emphasized bass or subwoofers who are a one note wonder and don't have any output other than an annoying boom-boom-boom with no musicality.

I could easily overpower my other speakers with my SVS Ultras but I have them dialed in within a couple decibels of my other speakers and it sounds amazing for movies and music.

Well put wuzzer. [Y]

Well put wuzzer. Yes

wuzzer said what i was gonna say...only he said it mucho better [Y][Y][Y]

Thirty years ago I used to sell people subs that didn't go as low as their main speakers, and it always sounded better.

The improvement was in midrange clarity.

These subwoofers were properly implemented, meaning they had filters to remove the bass from the main speakers.

This can be done with many home theater receivers by setting to 'small' in the bass management menu.

If a low crossover point can be made to work, one subwoofer may be sufficient.

The biggest problem is people turn the subwoofer up very loud for video, and then it sounds bad on music.

Before I purchased a sub for the K-horns I thought I could not hear below 40 hz. After the sub was on line I could easily hear to 19 hz. and 30 hz was as loud as 40 hz. What this means is that K-horns and Cornwalls are pathetic below 40 hz. Not opinion just fact. My cutoff is set at 80 hz.

JJK