PG-13

What do those of you who have children under 13 do when watching movies that are PG-13 rated? I have inherited two boys now 7 & 9 years old. Alot of the movies I would like to share with them happen to be PG-13. Should I not let them see said movies, or tell them to leave at certain scenes.... what is acceptable protocol for this? Alot of it just happens to be bad language... what do you do then?

I normally look to see why it got the PG-13 rating and go from there. Sometimes it's crude humor (not so bad) sometimes it's language or "adult" situations (not so good). Sometimes my wife and I will watch a movie and if we deem it appropriate, let my daughter watch it the next day.

My 5yr old and his 4 cousins ages 5,5,4,3 that visit here do not get to watch PG13 movies, period. We looked at Dark Knight (PG13) one night at my parents for a short while and it was way too much. Now get this, next day my son's talking like the Joker. That wasn't cool one bit. His little K5 teacher wasn't too impressed either.[:$]

Also, some PG movies are pretty bad. Really have to watch the movies that your kids watch!

There is a useful parent resource website "www.kidsinmind.com" which publishes detailed reviews of nearly all current movies. They give considerably more info than the sparse MPAA ratings phrase, e.g, "Rated PG-13 for language." K-I-M breaks down the movie into several content areas, with details about each, such as "Language: 3 utterances of the 'S-word', 7 utterances of 'D-amn'; Nudity - 2-sec shot of bare behind" and so on.

Ah Thanks Richard, I had no idea of that website! That will come in pretty handy.

I also agree on the dark knight... definitely not appropriate. But movies like Ironman, I didn't think was too bad. There were a few questionable scenes, but most of it was language.

What do those of you who have children under 13 do when watching movies that are PG-13 rated? I have inherited two boys now 7 & 9 years old. Alot of the movies I would like to share with them happen to be PG-13. Should I not let them see said movies, or tell them to leave at certain scenes.... what is acceptable protocol for this? Alot of it just happens to be bad language... what do you do then?

If they are 7 and 9 do not let them see the movie. Preview it yourself. Then the next day, after the 7 year old had alrady downladed the bittorrent of the movie in its uncut version and sold 85 copies and Craigslist, you can all discuss.