Is the K55X a 2" driver?

The K-55 (all of the varients) is a nice sounding driver. Just because there are better drivers out there doesn't mean it sucks. And here's the best part -- just because a driver is "better", doesn't mean you're going to like the sound of it.

Agree in part. Some really dislike the K-55, but I would not go so far as to say it "sucks." With a really nice horn on it and its upper end limited, I have heard some pretty decent sound coming out of K-55s.

I would not, however, go so far as to call it a nice sounding driver. YMMV.

Carl.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a pair (K-55V)? Just sitting on the shelves collecting dust......

I suspect the only difference between those drivers is the diaphram. Somebody send me a K55/PD5VH and I'll take em apart side by side with photos. I guess thats the only way we will really know. Those castings certainly look the same.

If somebody can point me to a picture of the open halves of a PD5VH I would appreciate it and then I could at least compare.

I think that for the average speaker buyer, the diaphragm size would be what he was looking for. The throat size would be of interest to buyers who are more knowledgeable and/or are thinking of combining the driver with a different horn.

An automotive analogy might be the average buyer wants to know the rim size (15", 16", 17", whatever), while a parts swapper might want to know the bolt circle diameter.

I think that for the average speaker buyer, the diaphragm size would be what he was looking for. The throat size would be of interest to buyers who are more knowledgeable and/or are thinking of combining the driver with a different horn.

An automotive analogy might be the average buyer wants to know the rim size (15", 16", 17", whatever), while a parts swapper might want to know the bolt circle diameter.

Disagree. The average consumer does not care about diaphragm size or a driver's exit size.

I like Gil's analysis. The "somewhat" educated Khorn buyer is not focusing on the spec in order to swap out the driver/horn, etc., but may think the spec refers to exit size - and that probably plays a factor in the purchasing decision. A little knowledge can be dangerous. . . . . .

I do not think that the spec as stated clearly conveys that the Khorn has a two inch diaphragm as opposed to having a two inch exit size - but I would not necessarily characterize it as "misleading" When I first glanced at the spec, I also thought that maybe the two inch referred to the exit size.

And then I slapped myself, remembered Atlas, and thought better of that conclusion.

Carl.

Disagree. The average consumer does not care about diaphragm size or a driver's exit size.

When the average consumer (I'd include myself, in this case) buys a typical (non-horn-loaded) speaker, he certainly wants to know what size drivers are behind the grille cloth. The size of the diaphragms seems like the equivalent spec to me, and something I'd like to know, but maybe I'm just one of those guys who likes reading spec sheets.

Guest " "

guy's

the SD-70 and the PD5VH have the exact same single phase plug and front face assembly

The magnet on the SD-70 is a little thicker and frequently has a threaded bolt hole where the klipsch logo would be.

the SD-70 typically has an 8 ohm diaphragm instead of the 16 ohm one in the pd5hv

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't going to reply to this thread again and try to show some grace, but out of the blue I get an email that exemplifies my point exactly. Someone inquiring about the V-Trac horn wrote to me:

Hi Greg,
I'm really interested in your work on the mids and tweeter for the Klipschorn ; seems very interesting but I don't quite understand your description about the size of the midrange compression driver. I have recently bought a new pair of 60ths and it seems to me that it is a 2" driver and yet in the description of your V-Trac horn, you talk about it's improvement because it is a 2" over the 1" of the Khorn ???
Can you please clarify this point ?

I'm being accurate in my description, Klipsch is not. Actually I'm being generous as to the 1" part. The throat size of a K400 horn is slightly less than 3/4". The throat size of the 2" BMS driver and the V-Trac horn is 2". The 1" description is the thread size of the K55 driver.

Greg

• Like 1