RF 7 with an RW 12 question

irishhitman

In my setup I have RF 7's an RC 7 center with a RW 12 along the frontline. When performing your speaker setup, do you choose the SWR, MAIN or BOTH option? I have historically chosen the Sub only option but have been wondering if the (2) 10's in the RF's should be used more in the theater setup. Also, do you leave the power switch of the Sub in the ON position or the AUTO position? I am somewhat curious to find a sampling of the collective wisdom choose to do in these situations.

I'm assuming you are setting up a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration. To let your receiver handle the crossover duties, choose the "small" speaker selection. Experiment with crossover points from 40 to 80 Hz and see which one sounds best. Be sure the subwoofer option is selected in your receiver (in the "on or "yes" mode). If your subwoofer wakes up with a normal signal you can use the the auto position on the sub amp. If your sub needs a loud signal to wake up, then just leave it "on". It really doesn't use more current in the on mode as opposed to auto.

I took your guys advice on the speaker size selection moving the front 3 channels to the SML setting. I then moved the Sub crossover point to 80 and I am pleased with the result so far with movies as well as music. Up until recently I had an Arcam AVP 700 as the processor but it lost a channel and needs a repair. I went with my old tried and true RX-V 1000 Yamaha coupled with my Aragon 2007 Amp as a backup and I have to say that I am very pleased with the 1000 as a Pre. The setup as referenced above has given my dedicated theater (13.6 wide by 22 long) a much deeper soundfield which I felt was lacking.

Personally, I think you aren't giving the RF-7's a chance by setting them to small. If the RF-7's aren't "large", I don't know what is.

By setting them to "small", you are missing out on alot of the mid-range.

Actually, midrange frequencies are around 500Hz-5Khz (subwoofers don't handle these frequencies). Even with a "small" setting, you will be playing these frequencies through the RF-7s. Unless you were talking about midbass frequencies which are about 40Hz-80Hz.

Personally, I think you aren't giving the RF-7's a chance by setting them to small. If the RF-7's aren't "large", I don't know what is...

The RF-7s can be run as large without with a capable AVR/Amp and without a subwoofer...

That being said, I don't know how the RW-12 performs, but I would try the crossover at 60 Hz (and possibly 40 Hz given that you are running separate amplification), but it really depends on how well your RW-12 keeps up in it's present location.

Try it both ways and see what your ears prefer.

I used to always run my 7's on Large----->LFE + MAIN crossed over at 60hz.

It just worked well in my particular room and the added oomph that the 7's put out was impressive. YMMV [:D]

I agree about trying LFE + main but you aren't going to be able to set a crossover for the RF-7s in that configuration.

I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't be able to set a crossover for the 7's in this manner?

Can you explain?

Hmmm. Crossover or not....when I had it set up this way I found that watching movies was best set at 40hz on the receiver and for music 60hz sounded best to me. This varied from movie to movie and different types of music. I was always changing and experimenting with different crossover points on the receiver's settings with very noticable results. Sometimes I would listen to Metallica at 100hz and then Smooth Jazz at 40hz.

Changing the crossover setting on the receiver was definitely doing something. Just trying to understand. [:D]

Your AVR was changing the crossover from the other speakers that you had as Small (and directing the low end to the RF-7s and sub), but the RF-7s were still getting the Full Range signal...Fwiw, that is what the Large setting is for. EDIT: before I had the option of setting my mains different than the other speakers I also lowered the crossover to 60 Hz for music and ran my RF-7s as large....Now I set all of my speakers to Small and cross the RF-7s and RF-3s at 60 Hz and the rest of my speakers higher.

The way Bass Management works is that all Large speakers get a Full range signal. If you had all of your speakers set to Large then there is no crossover splitting the signal to the sub. This dynamic will change if you have any speaker set to Small (such as a center channel) and change the crossover.

Ah....I see what you're saying now about the crossover. Thanks for schooling me on that. [:D]

On a side note, what I was saying is that even though the RF-7's are getting a full range signal equal to the signal going to the subs because they are set to LARGE........you'll still get a significant change in sound by changing the crossover settings on the receiver even though there is no crossover splitting the signal as you said.

I usually would set my speakers to SMALL for movies......sometimes LARGE. I would always set them on LARGE for music though.

After moving the settings around this weekend this is my current setup that gives me good quality deep bass and mid's. The front 3 channels now are set to LARGE, the LFE signal being split or placed in the BOTH position and the crossover at 60. What I had failed to mention in previous post is that I split the LFE signal between the RW12 and a Jamo amp that powers the transducers mounted under the seats of my theater. I am not certain that this has changed the way the room sounds overall but I was willling to trade off some of the bass for the rumble of the seats.

That being said, I don't know how the RW-12 performs, but I would try the crossover at 60 Hz (and possibly 40 Hz given that you are running separate amplification), but it really depends on how well your RW-12 keeps up in it's present location.

i have to say that i also have rw12 and using a seperate amp, I read this post so i changed my crossover to 40hz for movies and i have no idea if it is my imagination or what BUT it is like I have a whole new system... in the better way of course..

tkdamerica [Y]