ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB AV-8 Wave

JohnA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike, as for the solos, that IS the way they are recorded. In fact, they just almost leap out at you, especially with horns. This happens with Cannonball, Coltrane, and Miles. So What is a real shocker in this regard. As for the piano, Bill Evans is simply amazing. He is really almost second to none (Wynton Kelly is great as well on KOB). If you have a TT, make sure you find the double album of Evans at the Village Vanguard. This album is NOT out on CD (only pieces of it are). IT is a Masterpiece.

Danny, thanks for the words. Hey, I guess that was complimentary...heh. Well, I will say your earn the FIRST PERSON award. I have NEVER been told I "dont have any equipment" before! Heh, I had to laugh at that one since most people say I have way TOO MUCH equipment! I finally sold all my solid state amps and I still have tube amps and speakers lying all over the place, up the stairwell, on the floor. Audrey shakes her head at the whole affair. I guess when I first came on here, I didnt have any solid state power houses having dumped my last pair of monoblocks on AudiogoN. But I know what you mean...

This board has a lot of life to it as people seem to constantly trying new things out, something that you dont find on other boards where the more jaded thrive. There is nothing better than seeing someone hear their music in a new way and watch them get excited through the text.

As for your equipment stand, there are many thoughts on the matter. I have the threaded rod affair going on right now. I actually used birch plywood but others like two pieces of MDF glued together and routed. This is amazingly stable and sturdy and very inert. I think a good piece of birch ply is better than one layer of MDF, but two layers of MDF (close grain stuff) glued together REALLY is the best. The loons at Lowes will even cut it for you if nice. If you look at the Michael Green Deluxe Justarack, you will see what I am talking about. There are several places online that give directions. You can pick the paint and be rather creative here. I found the Birch Ply to be fine, however. The TNT Flexi rack is not my favorite as I dont believe in the three leg approach. Greg Weaver does a version but you can make yours look much better. Some of the samples at the TNT site are neat as well. Here is the rather pedestrian Weaver affair at Soundstage:

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize061998.htm

There are many options. Drop me an email if you have any questions.

kh

ps - Mike, if you dont buy those damn amps, I'm coming down there!!!!!

pps- Danny, did Kevin tell you to get those power cords? Just curious.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-21-2002 at 03:36 PM

It's nice to hear people newly intiated, and not newly intiated to Jazz still in awe of Miles and company on the "Kind of Blue" recording. Without a doubt it is my all time favorite. My son always comments on how much I play it. After all these years I still can not hear it enough. Jazz is alive and well on vinyl! I wish there was a vinyl shop like the one Max G found in Greece where Jazz LPs were only $6 US a pop near me. I'd go nuts and have to come by with a station wagon or a UHaul.

Klipsch out.

Day 2 with the Svet tubes.

I'm really starting to like these amps.

The Kinda Blue I have is Ck40579. I think my system is getting to the point that any flaw's show up.

Last night I went to the house I'm staying at and put on Josh Joplin Group while I was nuking dinner. Sounded really good. The sound stage is getting wider and vocals are towards the front. Cymbals sound like cymbals.

I then put on Keith Jarret "Why Not". Even his humming sounded so clear. The 2nd CD has a little drum solo and it sound like I was sitting on the riser.

This morning while I was drinking coffee I put on this month's favorite CD Jimmy Smith "Dot Blues Com" (Dr John, Keb Mo, Taj Mahal, BB King, and Ms Etta James)and it just sounded so darn good. I was an hour late getting to work.

I just hung up with the mortgage company. My loan went through. I'm not homeless anymore. I have home theater but no home.

I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I do the Cap and resistor upgrade. I want to let everything burn in.

Oh yea. Two things I made sure about the house were (1) when I can afford them I have room for Khorns and (2) it had a big fenced in back yard for my dog. I looked at about 30 houses and couldn't ever get this combo, until last Sunday.

Danny

Danny, I think that is really wise to wait on the cap/resistor upgrade; I would say the same thing for new owners of any piece of gear. I know some people are itching to mod their vintage Klipsch offerings and this goes double for them.

You need to get a handle on the sound of the unit, no matter what it is thereby seeing how it integrates with your system (and at the same time, learning its character). Also, as I have said in the past, much to the chagrin of others, some components take awhile to "break in." I have seen this time and time again, and cant stress it enough. I will admit that some are worse than others in this regard, and we are not talking life changing differences with many pieces; it is, however, a very real piece of the puzzle and a good reason to wait as well.

All the above being said, even with parts substitutions, you might not get just what you want with the little AV-8. I think a transformer upgrade would make a big difference; but the cost might not be worth it. It would easily equal the price you paid for the amps!

Still, they make a great little platform. And for the money, I dont see ANYTHING NEW at the same price, especially for monoblocks.

Glad the valves are bringing out the music. I've been listening to my Cary/Moondog/Cornwall combo all morning and smiling like a fiend, drunk on red wine...

kh

junk f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-23-2002 at 11:45 AM

The Wave test is over for the time being. I pulled them out yesterday morning and put the Parasound back in.

I was spending too much time listening to the amps and not the music.

When I move into the new house and I have time to play with them I will give them another chance.

The breaker was Saturday night when my girlfriend and I were eating dinner and she said I really don't like the sound of those amps. They sound good, but the system was sounding so good with the tube pre amp and the old amp. You have stepped back.

I get hiss out of the system with the waves in. I have a stereo cabinet. I think if they were just on shelves with no sides it would quite things down.

So for the time being I'm back to tube Pre and SS amp.

Danny

Mobile,

I think the hiss is coming from the pre amp.

My SS has input level adjust's so I can contol them.

The pre is using JAN 6SN7WGT tubes. If I leave the door open for the cabinet (wood door frame with mesh panel) the hiss goes away. I placed the pre amp on top of the cabinet and the hiss was still present.

When I move I am going to use the cabinet for my HT set up and build a DYI cabinet.

I'm also using a AC strip, plugging all my components into it. Speaker wire is laying close to the strip. This may also be causing some noise.

This has been fun and frustrating. The waves are letting me play around with tubes. I can upgrade componets and see what changes they make. I am still going to get either a pair of Moondogs or The Wrights next year.

When I move into the house all I have is a bed, couch, refrigerator,45 inch TV and kitchen table. I have to buy everything else.

Danny

Your divorce horror story makes tube vs solid state sound meager! Sounds like you are on the right track now, however. Who nees Ethan Allen, anyway?

One quick comment. Not sure about this hissing with cabinet door open vs closed etc thing. Trying to make sense of it and only scratching head.

I will say one thing. If you have all your gear plugged into a power strip, including the two AV-8 monoblocks, I would rectify this rather quickly. Plugging your amps (whether they be solid state or the little AV-8) into a power strip with your other components is not helping matters in the slightest. I would see if you could give the amps their own outlet/plug and have them go directly into the wall.

Perhaps you are saying something else here.

kh

Mobile,

The first thing I'm going to do to the new house is put in 2 outlets, seperate runs for stereo. Nothing else will be on these circuits.

The door thing happens if I close the door fully on the cabinet. If I leave it open the hiss goes away.

I'll figure this all out when I move. I should close on the last Friday in April.

Danny

I attempted to recommend Auricaps as a great cap for vintage and new mods but was shot down from all sides. It is not that expensive (at least compared to some) and offers VERY smooth response without sounding peaky are harsh or too revealing. They best the 716P Orange Drops in this regard although those are good caps for the money. I think this is the best deal in caps right now.

kh

Mobile,

What about Jensen? I ordered them to do the mod.

Also I know you don't like Jan tubes. Give me another type for my pre amp.I am using Jan 6SN7WGT. I have found so many from $6.00 each to $200 a match pair.

Give me another Art Pepper title. I usually buy 3 or 4 CD's a week, but now that I'm trying to get money for the house I'm tring to cut back to 4 a month.

Danny