Preamp recommendations? around $1200?

aj01

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on a preamp. I have a Rotel that I *was* happy with, but now I suspect that it is the weak link in my system. Eventually I'd like to build a set of cornscalas using altec 511b's (I only have the horns right now), but that project won't start until fall. I'm looking for something equally good for both tube and ss amps, recommended for rock, blues, vocals, $900-$1500? If they were still being made - I'd save up and buy a Peach or Blueberry, so unless someone has one for sale - I'd love to hear your 2nd choice too.

Sources: various digital (ipod, cd, etc.) linked through ps audio dac

preamp: rotel 1070

amp: mccormack dna-1 (a friend has a mod'd dynaco that he's going to let me borrow for a while to play with)

speakers: Klipsch Forte ii (BEC crossover and tweeter upgrades - thanks Bob!)

Lots of options....but one thing you may want to keep in mind is the input impedance on the power amp you are going to use.....If you will use a tube power amp there should be no problem......

but some SS power amps are not compatible with all pre amps...for example since you mentioned Juicy Music....A Mac MC 301 wont be compatible with a BBX ...but will work fine wih a peach because of the Peach's "LoZ" mode....

I'd look up the specs of your power amp and then work from there to narrow your field of choice.......

Sorry I can't be much help in the suggestion area.....besides JM products, all the preamps I like are in the $3-5K range

Looked up an older review and the input impedance is listed at 100k ohms.

I saw a couple of places where a 20:1 ratio was recommended for the amp/preamp impedances, so at 3.5k ohms in the Peach that's at 70k (and in the JM operation notes - HiZ recommended for >100k ohms). Is there a standard recommended ratio? Can you have too high of a ratio?

If you can't find a Peach/Blueberry and your not completely set on a tube preamp, I can recommend the Audio Research LS-3. I owned one of these for several years and was very pleased with it. While it's been a few years since I sold it, I've often considered buying another one as a backup preamp or heck, as a summer preamp for here in hot AZ. When it came out it was rated as a Class A product by $tereophile (if that is worth anything to you). You should be able to find one for no more than $600 or so (maybe even less now).

Lots of options....but one thing you may want to keep in mind is the input impedance on the power amp you are going to use.....If you will use a tube power amp there should be no problem......

but some SS power amps are not compatible with all pre amps...for example since you mentioned Juicy Music....A Mac MC 301 wont be compatible with a BBX ...but will work fine wih a peach because of the Peach's "LoZ" mode....

I'd look up the specs of your power amp and then work from there to narrow your field of choice.......

Sorry I can't be much help in the suggestion area.....besides JM products, all the preamps I like are in the $3-5K range

Fender,

What do you like in the $3K to $5K range?

the last few that I listened to were one by Hovland (I'd have to look at the model #) and the Rogue Athena and Hera models...(and a Cayin that was no slouch)

All wonderfully clear and accurate ....detailed....blah Blah , other stereophile terms.......But for my money my BBX with the 6H30 is just as wonderful at a third the price... The build quality of the Hovland and the Rogues is amazing (Not to imply that the JM products aren't) But they are super slick and the Rogues are tanks....

I spent many hours listening, comparing and except for the slick factor of the Hovland($6K new )....Mark D really has one hell of a special product at a very low (IMO) price point for what you are getting....I'm very glad to able to own one, or I would have to shell out an extra few $K to get the same results....

I have not had the opportunity to listen to one But I here Good things about Trancendents Line Grid Pre....For about $1200?

Fender,

Thanks. I am actually considering upgrading my preamp but it is a very tough decision. I love the one that I have. To the author of this thread, if I do upgrade, my Muical Fidelity A308cr will be for sale in your price range. This pre performes well above its price range (originally about $3,000) and has a built in phono stage for both MM and MC. Nice tube-like sound and super quiet nd detailed. I just need to complete this decision of wheather or not to upgrade.

Tiger,

If you don't mind ,Keep me in the loop with what you are considering/getting......Nice to know what your opinion are on the gear out there....Never know when i want to put together another system.....This may label me a heretic in these parts, but I have fallen in love with the Sonics Anima 2 way monitors....may just have to put a system together around those one day...If business ever gets any better [:P]

Tiger, If you don't mind ,Keep me in the loop with what you are considering/getting......Nice to know what your opinion are on the gear out there....Never know when i want to put together another system.....This may label me a heretic in these parts, but I have fallen in love with the Sonics Anima 2 way monitors....may just have to put a system together around those one day...If business ever gets any better Stick out tongue

Ajo1, I just sent you an email. Please check it.

Fender, I just bought a preamp today. I'll post after I get the check out.