PS3 - playing cd's

DU73

Is there any special settings for playing CD’s on PS3 or is it basically load and play. Reason why I ask is that when I play a CD something is clearly lacking. I have hooked up a separate dvd/cd player to play a cd to hear the difference and I found that the dvd/cd player sounded so much better and more lively.

I understand that the PS3 is a bundle of goodies, therefore it may not play cd’s as well as a dedicated cd player will.

Question,, Is there any settings on PS3 to get the most from playing CD’s

Although this is question relates to the 2 channel gurus I have placed it here as I wonder how many 2 channel folks will have a PS3…

I have experienced some of what you describe. For me, the answer is a bit more complicated in root cause.

I believe a major part of my issue is my pre-amp. The PS3 I have is connected via HDMI to my Outlaw Audio 970 preamplifier, which is a HT preamp. I have to manually switch the preamp mode to not "enhance" the digital bitstream sometimes when I put in a CD when using HDMI and S/PDIF (i.e., digital) inputs. When using analog (or analogue, as the case might be) inputs, I do not have this problem with my preamp.

I use a relatively inexpensive (<$200US) Oppo DV-980H player for all but my Blu-Ray disks - and I use the Oppo in discrete mode (i.e., RCA analog outputs to my Outlaw preamp) since the Outlaw preamp can't handle DVD-A output using optical S/PDIF (...this must be a protection from pirating digital media). The Outlaw HDMI channel is hooked to the Blu-Ray PS3.

Note that I also get DVD-A, SACD, and other format capabilities with the Oppo - a really great deal. And even better, apparently the Oppo's DAC is pretty good, and the Oulaw Audio's DAC isn't as good. This may be applicable to your situation, but I don't know since I don't understand your setup.

Chris

thanks Chris, my set up is as follows

I have a yamaha avr which i use as preamp hooked to a rotel rmb 1075. they yammy has no hdmi ins or outs so the ps3 is connected to my panny via hdmi and the audio from ps3 to yammy is via optical cable.

so i switch my ps3 audio to optical when i use the stereo for sound.

i have a 5.1 set up using reference 35's but when listening to music i generally listen in 2ch.

Also I should note that i dont think this is a ps3 issue as i have searched the web and can not see postings or issues of this nature

When using analog (or analogue, as the case might be) inputs, I do not have this problem with my preamp.

yes yes yes.. this is it.. i have connected a seperate cd/dvd player using the aux inputs at front of avr and using rca leads to connect the two.. when i do this there is no problem. sounds very nice..

Good!

I have had other issues with my AVR (Outlaw Audio), too. but I'm not ready to give it up for something else quite yet. However, I'm on the search for a fundamentally different design approach, one that doesn't include synthesizing surround modes--since I never use them in my 5.1/ 2.0 system.

Chris

I have tried using the PS3 and the XBox360 for my 2 channel CDs and they just don't get the job done. I used them thru HDMI to my Denon 4306. I use a Jolida 100A for two channel with my Peach and McIntosh. I just received the new OPPO BD-83 and have tested it thru my AVR using HDMI with 2 channel CD and it puts the XBOX and PS3 to shame thru the AVR. Bottom line is I think the PS-3 does many things well but two channel stereo is not one of it's strong suits.

Get a dedicated CD deck (or the new OPPO if universal is what you need).

I don't have ANY issues with my ps3, whether cd dvd sacd dvda etc... the unit plays it all and plays it well. I am going HDMI to a integrated 130wpc and running it all two channel through Hereseys. I must say the difference between sacd's/dvda's/mfsl's and regular cd's is quite apparent, like night and day.

You have to remember that there are different ps3 units even for the same model(80gb etc) , some generations play sacd/dvda and some don't...dont ask me why but that's the way it is.

In the set up menu there are options for out put 2 channel,5.1, 7.1 sampling rates etc

In the set up menu there are options for out put 2 channel,5.1, 7.1 sampling rates etc

Thabks Schu - can you expand on this - i checked my settings menu and there is no such option on mine all there is a whole lot of technical stuff that the average person will have no idea what they are on about, i am in this category.. re many opts on 2ch like 2ch48khz or something like that, then all this stuff about bitrate,, they need a book for ps3 settings for dummies.. there is nothing on my ps3 that you described and i just downloaded the latest software, hope you know what i mean..

The PS3 I have is connected via HDMI to my Outlaw Audio 970 preamplifier, which is a HT preamp.

I'm a bit confused. The Outlaw 970 doesn't have HDMI. I take it you're using an HDMI to DVI connection for the video, plus an S/PDIF digital connection for audio?

Good!

I have had other issues
with my AVR (Outlaw Audio), too. but I'm not ready to give it up for
something else quite yet. However, I'm on the search for a
fundamentally different design approach, one that doesn't include
synthesizing surround modes--since I never use them in my 5.1/ 2.0
system.

Chris

Is your PS3's Digital Out set for PCM or Bitstream output? My 970 was only doing ProLogic decoding at first, until I switched the output to Bitstream, and then it automatically detected Dolby Digital 5.1 and selected the proper decoding. BIG improvement in sound and dynamics.

(I'm pretty sure it was Bitstream. My DVD player only has the two options - so I used the "other" one [:P] )

Double check that before you give up on your Outlaw. If you have any questions or problems, check out the Outlaw Audio Saloon or Support forum. They can answer any questions you have and offer support for any technical issues.

The PS3 I have is connected via HDMI to my Outlaw Audio 970 preamplifier, which is a HT preamp.

I'm a bit confused. The Outlaw 970 doesn't have HDMI. I take it you're using an HDMI to DVI connection for the video, plus an S/PDIF digital connection for audio?

Is your PS3's Digital Out set for PCM or Bitstream output? My 970 was only doing ProLogic decoding at first, until I switched the output to Bitstream, and then it automatically detected Dolby Digital 5.1 and selected the proper decoding. BIG improvement in sound and dynamics.

(I'm pretty sure it was Bitstream. My DVD player only has the two options - so I used the "other" one Stick out tongue )

Double check that before you give up on your Outlaw. If you have any questions or problems, check out the Outlaw Audio Saloon or Support forum. They can answer any questions you have and offer support for any technical issues.

Well, let's see:

1) Yes, you're right - the "PS3 HDMI" that I was talking about is actually a HDMI cable connected to a DVI connector on the 970 via adapter. I refer to it as an HDMI since I leave the DVI-HDMI connectors attached as if they're part of the unit (as I wish they were, in fact). The PS3 audio is on S/PDIFoptical. The Oppo is on discrete outputs (RCA).

2) I grew tired of having to manually switch the 970's mode back to DD or other non-synthesized mode to match the input stream. I switched the Oppo outputs to discrete RCA, and the problems disappeared, even though the quality of the connections are clearly inferior. I am defeating the Outlaw's ability to "go into the mode it thinks is right". I intensely dislike synthesized modes as they're terrible on my system (see profile).

3) The 970 that I have is more than a little sensitive to supply voltage, and periodically (i.e., several times a week) goes into "never-never land" states whereby several things can occur, namely:

a) the audio gain of the unit seems to jump upwards by a factor of ~10, or

B) the audio out is contaminated with severe audio distortion, or

c) the unit locks up, and must be unplugged for 20 seconds or more to effectively reboot.

d) the video and audio channel is white noise, or

e) when just turned on and booted cold, etc., the volume control gain jumps downward by 5-10 dB when turned to the right, or

f) other interesting modes...

The unit acts as if it just doesn't have nearly enough power supply - any supply irregularities affects it like above. When it works, it's fine. But my wife won't touch it.

The bottom line is that I must power-on my 970 after everything else has fully booted up and settled for a few seconds, and the 970 is on its own power strip from another outlet. Very annoying, really.

As you can tell, I'm not buying Outlaw Audio stock, and I probably never will.

Chris

Thabks Schu - can you expand on this - i checked my settings menu and there is no such option on mine all there is a whole lot of technical stuff that the average person will have no idea what they are on about, i am in this category.. re many opts on 2ch like 2ch48khz or something like that, then all this stuff about bitrate,, they need a book for ps3 settings for dummies.. there is nothing on my ps3 that you described and i just downloaded the latest software, hope you know what i mean..

well here is a short SIMPLIFIED explaination about bit depth and sampling rate.

think of a graph that is plotted with x and y axis... horiztonal and vertical lines... #

The horizontal lines represent bit depth:

_

_

_

_

The

vertical lines represent Sampling rate:

I I I I I I I I

there for a source(sacd,dvda , etc) that is availible in high resolution may be a 24/192... that is 24 bits of depth(resolution) and 192 lines of speed(the fractions in time that a 24bit sample is taken)

the deeper the bit depth and the faster something is sampled, the higher the resolution of the sample.

Bottom line is if you are using a gaming console or DVD player to playback standard redbook CD's don't expect stellar results. If you can't hear a difference it's probably because you haven't heard better.

A dedicated outboard CD player will make a big difference since there are very few DVD players that can playback standard CD's with the same quality as a stand alone player. Period.

I have owned a Denon 2900, and currently have a Sony S550 Blu-ray player but use a DBX DX5 CD player for my CD's because it just plain outperforms them.

I've been using my PS3 as a CD player and I guess to me everything sounds really good. Its connected to my receiver by HDMI so my Onkyo is doing the D/A converting. If I get a dedicated CD player and hook it up with an optical digital cable shouldn't the sound in theory be exactly the same since in the end the Onkyo would again be doing the D/A converting?

Wasn't one of the audio setups at a Pilgrimage done using a $20 Magnavox DVD player or something like that?

Bottom line is if you are using a gaming console or DVD player to playback standard redbook CD's don't expect stellar results. If you can't hear a difference it's probably because you haven't heard better.

A dedicated outboard CD player will make a big difference since there are very few DVD players that can playback standard CD's with the same quality as a stand alone player. Period.

I have owned a Denon 2900, and currently have a Sony S550 Blu-ray player but use a DBX DX5 CD player for my CD's because it just plain outperforms them.

For more on this subject, see http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/120147.aspx

So speaking of $20 Magnavox DVD players I remembered I had one upstairs collecting dust. For digital audio output it has coaxial so I hooked it up to my receiver. I can't listen loud right now because my wife is taking a nap. I guess one thing I like about using the Magnavox is that it doesn't have the fan noise that the PS3 has, plus I can use my universal remote to control it.

I've never used a coaxial digital output before. Right now I'm using a shielded RCA cable for the connection. Anything wrong with using that?

If I get a dedicated CD player and hook it up with an optical digital cable shouldn't the sound in theory be exactly the same since in the end the Onkyo would again be doing the D/A converting?

The player should do the converting... one reason I am getting a dedicated sacd/dvda/cd player is for the DA converter as I am not sure which is being used on my ps3... sure sound is nice, but I think/I know there is better. I am going to try a Onkyo DV-sp506 which samples at 24/192 and uses burr brown converting, unit is about $200

well here is a short SIMPLIFIED explaination about bit depth and sampling rate.

think of a graph that is plotted with x and y axis... horiztonal and vertical lines... #

The horizontal lines represent bit depth:

_

_

_

_

The

vertical lines represent Sampling rate:

I I I I I I I I

there for a source(sacd,dvda , etc) that is availible in high resolution may be a 24/192... that is 24 bits of depth(resolution) and 192 lines of speed(the fractions in time that a 24bit sample is taken)

the deeper the bit depth and the faster something is sampled, the higher the resolution of the sample.

Thanks Schu for response, and that was the simplified version.. so all i need to know is what a bit rate and sampling rate is and i'll be right. sounds like though a dedicated cd player with rca leads is the way to go for me. plug it in connect 1 set of leads and 'let the music play'. It can not be more simple than that. I like simplicity..

Well, what that info tells you is, how much resolution something has, whether source material... playback, or in recording/copying(essentially the higher the numbers the more the resolution).

Bit depth is the number of steps a piece of software can break down a sample into per sampling cycle... Sample rate is a messure of how often that software takes a sample

I copy all my ps3 stuff at 172hz even though the original CD's are made at 44hz. I know people say its overkill and eats memory space but I don't care.

And if I copy something that is pressed at 24/192 I am falling short of 1 to 1 resolution. That's why I don't really trust the PS3 for full playback quality even though it can handle uncompressed audio... I have yet to find any FULL info on its audio capabilities.

like I was saying earlier I can get a Onkyo unit(sp506) that has three burr brown DAC's and full 48/192 playback for 200... that s fair deal. use a HDMI or TOS for connection and be done with it for the interim

I borrowed this from an online source.. it illustrates exactly the difference between a analog signal and a digital signal

Analog_signal.png

Analog... is like a single vector, smooth and curved

Sampled_signal.png

Digital is made up of points... like a bitmapped/pixel image. The more pixels/plots you have, the better the ending reproduction.

The player should do the converting... one reason I am getting a dedicated sacd/dvda/cd player is for the DA converter as I am not sure which is being used on my ps3... sure sound is nice, but I think/I know there is better. I am going to try a Onkyo DV-sp506 which samples at 24/192 and uses burr brown converting, unit is about $200

My 805 also has extremely high quality192k/24 Burr-Brown DACs. Why do you feel the player should do the converting? I'm not arguing with you, I just want to know I'm getting the best sound from what I have.

Also, what do you mean when you said that "I am not sure which is being used on my ps3" ?