Helpful Hints From Thebesolise

thebes

Thanks for the clarification, Marty. I just looked at the picture and thought "Well, at least the Thebester has enough compassion to relieve the poor Cornies of the heartburn associated with having to swallow his funk collection."

So, the real problem is that they smelled like a Houston disco in August with AC failure.

Dave

Don't laugh Dave. My first pair of Cornwalls had survived a house fire. They were actually in a closet at the time and the house burned down pretty much around them. Durned things smelled like a campfire for two years, that paper-like dampening material really soaked up the smoke. Thebe's suggestion might have been just the thing!

Vinegar removes smoke smell.

Such a nice suggestion from such a nice young boy. Thebsolise is just sure you aren't making wise about her age like those other young hoodlums.

Yes indeed, vinegar, one of nature's wondrous inventions. Excellent for cleaning stereo glass, and tar off of tubes, metal etc., but of little use absorbing odors inside a speaker .

Now that you mentioned about the sound material in the Cornwalls, when I did open mine for the first time to replace the diaphrams. It smelled like a zombie opening their mouth for the first time after rising from the dead or maybe just sitting in some old persons house. But none the less it wasn't bad enough to put some heartburn medicine in the port after a night of funk.

• 2 months later...

It's time for yet another helpful hint from Thebesolise.

So you like to see your vinyl sparkly clean, but oh my goodness gracious you are out of cleaner. Well don't despair my worthy friends simply use one of those counter wipes that are all the rage these days. Just pull one from the tub, wrap around a piece of wood (I use an old Discwasher) throw the record on the table and round and round she goes. Then reach under the counter grab your handy-dandy bottle of distilled water and a micro fiber towel. Give her another spin and wallah, you're done.

No distilled water on hand (and you call yourself an audiophile-shame) then tap water will have to do.

Safe, sound and approved by Thebesolise.

Indeed here's a pic of me getting ready to clean an old Frank Zappa album. Once I'm through you'll see no yellow snow of this piece of wax.

post-14801-13819488686828_thumb.jpg