How

Dare

You

Agree

With

Me

Grumpy Thebes

Dear Goodfellow James.

How dareth thou quibble with me. Wereith I not busy strumpeting Thine Twins I'd have my sheriff lay low thine headeth.

Henry the Thebes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about the Beatles (not Beetles, guys!), if you listen to their CD of number one hits, 1, you can pretty well hear their producer/engineer, George Martin, learning his job. From the early mono stuff like Love Me Do all the way through to the final cut, The Long and Winding Road, the micing and mixing gets steadily better and finally really good. I was surprised at how badly put-together the early songs were, but that could be because I was hearing them on a good system for the first time, unlike when I was a teenager with a 6-transistor pocket radio hearing the songs originally.

Well, I've been around since way before that was posted. Either there is no interest or nobody else knew it was there either. Not a single post in two years. Anybody know the employee?

To some extent, I don't have a lot to say. I really don't know much. I just take a couple of mikes, put them where my ears want to be, and push the record button. Most of my blathering deals with why there is so much crapophonic recording out there when you really have to go out of your way to make it suck.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn...

Dave

I just take a couple of mikes, put them where my ears want to be, and push the record button.

I suspect you also turn up the 'good' knob and turn down the 'suck' knob, while some engineers seem to get those two knobs mixed up. Some even turn the 'suck' knob up to 11, which explains some recent recordings that many buyers have complained about. [8-)]