jazz question / louis armstrong / satchmo

ok you guys

i want to step lightly into this jazz vinyl arena, and to start i have bought a couple new albums (old music on repressed vinyl) but my knowledge is weak in this area

i dont want to buy copies that are terriable, and give me a dis-taste for the whole genere

so right now i want to get a couple good louis armstrong recordings which include some of his best work, so if anyone would be so kind as to look at this vinyl site ( soundstagedirect.com ) and search louis armstrong and give advice on which offerings are thought to be some of his best i would really appreciate it

Joe

Satchmo one of th greatest musicians of all time.Also quite an Audiophile had all the latest gear at his home in New York.His early work with King Oliver are usually regarged as some of the finest in jazz.His work with Ella Fitzgerald is also stellar.The Summit tapes with Duke Ellington are also unbelievable.Most of the songs were done in one take.I Love Jazz on Decca is a fantastic live recording.

I suspect the trully great recordings and pressings, like "The Best of Louis Armstrong," are not that easy to come by. I have a copy, but I'm out of town and can't provide the details at the moment.

I can tell you this: When Louis starts to sing, you look in the direction of the sound and fully expect to see those smilin' pearly whites.

Awesome stuff.

However, there are also some really crappy ones out there, so your wariness is justified.

Dave

Satch plays fats is one of my favorites...i don't have his copy but an original in NM

Satch plays king Oliver is another fav....also not this pressing but an original

Not on this sight are Louis and ella on verve and Louis and Ella together again (volumes one and two) are great for the genre.... Porgy and Bess is great!

I find some of his early works are not recorded to well like, louis and the mag seven

I don't really like vocal jazz much and listen mainly to bebop-hardbop .....but Louis Armstrong always puts a smile on my face!!! mainly dixieland i find his trumpet phrasing very upbeat and his vocal syncopation "happy" and "playful"

I'd start with Fats Waller and King Oliver.....If you don't like those, just forget getting any more and I'll buy them off you....that way I won't where out my originals....

thanks for the responses they are appreciated, i buy from this site because it is mainly very high quality vinyl, which is basically all i am interested in ouning from now on !!!!!!!!!, i am sure there are cheaper prices to be found and i know first presses are the most valuable but im looking for great copies to listen to and i am not really interested in buying for the value of the album as an original etc... more worried about the sound quality

Joe

thanks for the responses they are appreciated, i buy from this site because it is mainly very high quality vinyl, which is basically all i am interested in ouning from now on !!!!!!!!!, i am sure there are cheaper prices to be found and i know first presses are the most valuable but im looking for great copies to listen to and i am not really interested in buying for the value of the album as an original etc... more worried about the sound quality

Joe

Joe that is exactly why I said I would go else where, I have bought from them before and was not happy with the results. I also learned that the vinyl they use for their Blue Note reissues is called Scorpion, not very good. Unless they have made some changes I am unaware of.

Jay

Joe,

I have some really nice copies of Armstrong and Armstrong/Ella on the Pablo label, some red vinyl too. They sound very good. 70's pressings I think.

If you're interested, I'll play grade them tonight and we can work out a deal. I'm talking $10 or less per LP (probably less)......nothing expensive.

- Gary

hello all, fender thanks for the advice and offer, gary this is a very generous offer and i would love to take you up on it so just shoot me a message when you are ready and i will forward the $$$$$ (this is what i love about this place, oh and gary i will be open to suggestions for other jazz, i like vocals like armstrong, am especially partial to acoustic guitar, piano (not organ), drum, and string bass) if you have other jazz albums you feel are excess and would be of interest shoot me some info on those as well

i received a new press of jon eardly, from Hollywood to NY on prestige and was shocked at how myuch i liked that i also ordered another jazz album called soulful drums (just on the name, because i love drums) so i guess my tastes are getting more and more varied, that and jazz just sounds right on the system

Jay, supprised to hear you had problems i have spent several hundred dollars on that site over the past couple years and have found all the vinyl i bought to be wonderful, however this is the first jazz i have bought, i mainly buy alt. rock and classic rock. indie rock, and most of that is on good label's. also i have spoke with seth (the proprietor) and he sells what the labels ship him as far as i know he has nothing to do with the vinyl used and i assume (maybe wrongly so) that anyone carrying the same titles would have the same quality as he

Joe

Highly recommend Ella & Louis "For Lovers", not sure of it's aviabality on vinyl; but the sound quality on cd rivals anything I have in my collection. It's truly as if they are standing right in the room & when louies horn is to wet you hear it, increadible detail & presence. Songs such as- Monlight in Vermont-Lets do it- Autum leaves in new york; emotionally capture me.

Cornman