Academy, Buy it now $275.00

Lucky Leeroy

I often wonder if this type of bid results from sellers friends. Especially given the fact that many here have stated they've contacted sellers and informed them what price ranges their items have been selling. I can't understand why anyone would do this. Maybe selfishness on my part, but I refuse to provide a seller price info during a live auction.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

My guess is that the bidder is just trying to get it for less than $275. I don't think he expects to get it for $75.

Note that this speaker has had its original finish removed. So it is not worth as much to most folks as some of the others that have appeared on eBay. $275 may not be such a good deal.

Hmmm... Don't suppose the bidder is thinking of refinishing it then reselling at a higher price?

Makes you wonder.

I was just surfing around E-Bay and noticed a used Crown CE1000 amp at a current bid price of $735.Had my handy-dandy Parts Express catalog laying here and flipped open to see the CE1000 new at $499. Go figure.

Keith

My 2 cents with expeirence!

I had a sw-8 2 sub years ago, that i sanded the black off!

I just about sanded the lamination off, if he has it that clean of black stain, you guys need to realize the lamination in some spots is prabably gone!

So if it was stained it might look like hell!

Id try to swing this academy for $200.00 NO MORE!!

I have both academy and KLF-C7 and like them both a lot, ive stored my second set of corns, so my system is running nicely now!

Not overwhelming!

Cornwall front

academy center

RS-3-2s rear

KLF-C7 rear center

Dual JBL 12 inch subs subwoofer

Pyramd sub amp

Zenith DVD

Harman Kardon 7325 CD player

Sony 27inch flatscreen TV

Regards Jim

How about giving us a Jim's Ear comparison of the Academy and C7... you know timbre, intelligibility, bass, etc. I can guess at the reason that the Academy is up front... but I would rather hear it in "Cornellian" terms.

Hey, it doesn't look underwhelming either! cwm34.gif HornEd

As best I can, I would like to take a shot at explaining my listening experience, having used a KLF-C7 vs. my present Academy with Heritage Fronts. The C7 is an indeed an excellent speaker, but when I used it as the center with my Cornwall & Heresy fronts, I always knew it was there as the predominate speaker in the front array. Its sound was separate and distinct from the left and right fronts.

After adding the Academy, the center section of the fronts just blended in, panning sounds from right to left & left to right transitioned evenly and smoothly. The entire front was very seamless; it was as if the Academy settled in did its job without you realizing it was there. That seamless sound is no doubt due to its close timbre and tone match with the Heritage line.

My HT is presently 5.1 with Cornwall/Heresy fronts, Cornwall/RS-3 rears and the Academy Center. All speakers are set as small. When size matters, the Academy will definitely deliver those center channel matching benefits for Heritage Speakers, the ones we so often recommend others consider when selecting their fronts.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 02-26-2002 at 09:36 PM

Boa,

No, They're fed from my NAD's audio outs to a seperate amp. I'm planning later this year to add the Outlaw 950. This will allow me really use the Heresy's and RS-3's as effect fronts and rears. Just getting use of these as I slowly migrate. Given Academy prices, the C7 is the best alternative.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Wes

I second your opinion---I'm using Heresy II's as fronts and (until the "bug" hit me) had used a KV 3 as the center (which my recent tweaking revealed was actually a pretty good match--all along). I brought in a C7 for a try and found the same thing---the C7 really kind of dominated the front stage---you really knew it was there (I think it is that Tratrix horn vs the exponentials in the H-II's). Then obtained an Academy (in a 3 way deal with a guy in Italy--who had bought the pair of same you may have noticed on EBay a couple of weeks ago)----and YES the Academy is the pick for at least Heresy II's mains.

My next test will be to find another H-II singleton to test as the center----anybody seen a lonely one out there?

So, I now have a KLF C-7 looking for a home---it was bought NEW and I've used it for 6 hours--it's medium oak finish---and as stated it is in MINT condition.

Have %300 in it----ANY INTEREST?---ANYONE?

Tks Dave

True to your "Shape Shifter" image, Wes! Thanks for the insightful description of the KLF C7 vs. Academy in the center... it echoes my experience with the C7 in the center with the KLF-30's... it was a good speaker but just too noticeable! When I went to a customized KLF-30 as a center... it blended into a perfect dynamic and timbre match of L&R Mains and Center Main! Celebrated last night with the most dramatic playing of "Saving Private Ryan."

I picked up a second C7 to make a pair and put them atop some specially built narrow bookcases three feet outside the L&R Mains providing the most effective Front Effects experiment yet... plus I picked up storage for about 200 DVD's. On the flanks and slightly forward of the front of the 65" HDTV, the C7's power blends in... raising and extending the front sound stage... and providing a smoother transition to the direct radiating KLF-30's used for surrounds.

Like Dave, I suspect it is the Tractrix horn (plus higher sensitivity) that makes the C7 too dominant in the center but just right as vertically mounted Front Effects. So, Dave, all you have to do is find another matching C7 and you too can have it up front where it counts!

I have tried 6.1 vs. 7.1 and much prefer 6.1 with Front Effects to 7.1 WITHOUT Front Effects. I don't believe we human beings have anywhere near the sensitivity to what's going on behind us as we do toward our right and left flanks... plus, it offsets the tendency of mixers to pour too much sound, proportionately, through the center speakers. Movies suddenly are better than ever!

Multi-channel music is too!

I suspect that C7's would also do well as Rear Effects speakers in a 6.1 or 7.1 rig... because of their "sit up and take notice" characteristics in an area that needs a bit more attention in most matrixed 6.1 renditions of 5.1 movies or multi-channel music. You might try it there, Dave, and give us your impressions of a Rear Effects "Shape Shifter" experiment.

Thanks again Wes & Dave for confirming my suspicions and giving reasons other than scarcity as to why the Academy goes for more than a C7. cwm13.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-27-2002 at 09:07 AM

HE, ShapeShifter and Dave -

Couldn't have described the KLF-C7 experience with my Chorus II's more perfectly. It's an awesome speaker, but has just a bit too much presence vs. the Chorus'.

I guess that's why I too will enter the market for an Academy in black finish, mint condition (I can dream, can't I?!)

Are the upgrades ever done?? LOL!

C

------------------

My System

Boa,

It is a wall of sound with all four mains and center engaged, but it can become a bit fatiguing at very high volume on some movies, as you know 5.1 provides no means of controlling the individual volume for each speaker separately. Really shines on multi channel music which has a more consistent volume level. An upgraded processor is definitely in my future plans.

Dave,

Congrats on your newest Klipsch. I too agree with your assessment. You shouldn't have a difficult time finding a home for that C7.

HornEd,

Thanks. I was under the impression that the C7 was a spot on match for the KLF Series. But I must say your customized Center must have elevated your theater experiences to a level beyond reality. I was truly mesmerized by your HT photos and amazed at the well-integrated look of that center. What a setup! My biggest task will be getting the Heresy speakers elevated on or near the back wall for effect duties after obtaining a new prepo. With proper planning and patience, this too will come too past.

Keith,

It is becoming very difficult to get that match for some speakers due to availability and price gouging. The price point for diminishing returns is different for each individual.

Chickey,

Done! I'm not sure, but I do hope to arrive at a satisfying and stable HT setup. I hope you will find an Academy soon.

Regards to all,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 02-27-2002 at 03:14 PM