Original Oil caps

Could that oil have been Pyranol? Very toxic.

JJK

Some of the motor run caps had oil with PCBs, and yes, pyranol was the GE brand of oil containing PCBs,. I wouldn't want to be opening any of them.

Almost every cap I have seen in Klipsch crossovers has had "NO PCB's" written on the can. Including this one from 1972 that I took apart. I think you might find PCBs in crossover caps from the 60's. But, actually, most of those that old have probably already leaked at least some of the oil out of them.

Bob

post-9312-1381948578801_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

Back when I wore a broadcast injuneer's hat, we had a '40s vintage backup AM transmitter. Back then (1992?) the law required that broadcast transmitters with capacitors containing PCBs had to be upgraded to non-PCB caps and the old caps disposed of properly. You also had the option of building a dam around your transmitter to keep the oil from leaking out.

Of course this meant a lot of fly-by-night disposal companies sprung up and for a fee (I think we paid $500.00), they would place your deadly PCB-laden caps in a 55 gallon drum, and take them to a gubment-approved disposal site. Yeah, right....

One local station which had a 50,000 watt AM tranmitter chose to construct a concrete curb dam around the transmitter rather than replace the expensive replacement caps. I'm sure the replacement high voltage cap cost was in the thousands of dollars vs. a few hundred to build a dam. No brainer there.

As I understand it, the primary danger was not PCB (polychlorinated biphenyls) itself--it was routinely handled by workers in the transformer and capacitor industries---it was the toxic by-products emitted if the PCBs were involved in a high heat fire. PCB was used because it was an excellent insulator, had a high flash point and was stable over decades of use in a transformer or capacitor.

Lee