OT: Unemployed Writer gets Front Page Publicity

Colin

I guess “All publicity is good, except an obituary notice” (Brendan Francis Behan, Irish writer).” This might just be my "15 minutes of fame" (Andy Warhol).

I am profiled on first page, article, paragraph and sentence of Tampa Tribune: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jun/28/na-caution-men-out-of-work-in-crisis/

Saying chickee pooh stirred up some resentments online. I did not mean to offend any young female restaurant professionals. My therapist friend referred the reporter to me. I spoke with her for about ½ hour about many things including the hard times at her newspaper. I told her a story about a restaurateur who told me that he could hire 20-somethings with nine years experience that are happy making $10 an hour instead of hiring somebody like me. I paraphrased him, she paraphrased me. Ah well, guess it was a good quote…for her.

I have a decade of experience in technical writing, management and sales. My resume is on LinkedIn.

A. Colin Flood

"chickie-poo" DIG IT! More modern tongues would call them 'chicklettes' though.

The offers should come flooding in any time now.

Congrats on the fame, the only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about. ( I think it was one of Wilde's)

Michael

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine was turned down for a waitress job? She noticed all the waitresses were large-breasted and thought that's why she didn't get the job. She even got the Human Rights Department on the case, to no avail.

When Elaine finally asked the restaurant owner why all his waitresses had "a certain look", he told her it was because they were all his daughters, which left Elaine looking and feeling stupid.

No disrespect to you, Colin, but most employers would prefer an experienced worker who's satisfied with the existing low wage, finds the job reasonably challenging and is unlikely to leave when a better-paying job that requires higher skills (like yours) comes along.

On the bright side, it's starting to look like things are turning around. A lot of economic indicators are looking like the bottom has been reached and we're on the way back up, although it will take a while yet for optimism to return to the job market.

• 3 weeks later...

Beats a sharp poke in the eye.

Having had my eye poked just this past Sunday with a branch....I'm here to agree with imperical proof that the above statement is true. Fortunately, the damage was restricted to the white of the eye and the eye itself wasn't punctured like I thought when it first happened.

Can't type, can't spell and don't know no good English!

I learned how to spell check:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/restaurateur

This is also spelled restauranteur (with an ‘n’), but this is considered erroneous by some, and the form restaurateur (without the ‘n’) is preferred in formal writing, and especially in Britain.[1]

(I was Canadian.)

• 11 months later...