which klipsch loudspeaker plays most base

fredrik

Oh ok Roger

Yea at the time I gave 600.00 for 1 TSCM speaker. It was heavily damaged. The K-55-M 4 driver manifold was broken. Also at the time my Klipschorns had the older style K-77, they were'nt a mud magnet.

I sold off the K-55-M drivers here on the forum, that I got with the TSCM. 1 of the drivers had a displaced magnet.

Anyway. what I did was modify the sqwauker horn for 1 driver, and I rebuilt the top section and ran it as a center channel.

I did run into some room issues here, and I remember posting the single TSCM and got no replies. So I took apart the top section, and placed the Mud k-77 tweeters into my klipschorns, at the time 1975 models.

I dont really know what I did with the dual K-77 manifold?

I was doing something stupid with the woofer, and I accidently tore the cone cutting my hand wide open, on the top rim of the voice coil. I quit drinking shortly after.

Anyway, I then installed 1 Earthquake 15inch car sub into the bass bin, and then bridged a pyramid pro audio amp to it, making it a subwoofer.

I had the biggest freaking subwoofer around. This lasted for quite a while, and then i just decided to scrap the bass bin, considering I really had nothing left, driver wise, for the TSCM.

Since then I have parted with my Klipschorns, and traded them to a local freind for KLF-20, RF-7, and a pioneer SX1050 receiver. At almost a year later, I decided to trade the RF-7 for a set of oak Cornwalls with the same person. I have the KLF-20, and Cornwalls as we speak. I just replaced the oil caps in the Cornwalls, and havent done anything else at this point. I did miss the Heritage sound.

In 1999-2000 I had 4 Cornwalls, and I should have just stayed with that, but of coarse I had to travel the courious route. My listening room will not compensate for klipschorns, its too small. I always knew this, but I loved them very much. My neighbors were complaining very consistent, so that is where the trades came into place. Besided my wife covered her ears everytime I listened to them for 7 years.

Earlier this decade I started out with a set of type D Klipschorns, I was famous on the Forum for a while, when I was modifying them. I modified an Altec 511b horn to the top section, and I had the K-horns almost 6 feet in height.

In the process of doing this I purchased the 1975 walnut Klipschorns, so I had 4 Klipschorns at the time. I have decided to undo my modifications on the type D and built them into an original Type C.

After I was finished, I listened to them for a while, but I never really ran all 4 Klipschorns at once. I actually built a wall across my listening room, that closed off the kitchen, so I would have 2 more corners.

The TYPE D Klipschorns turned out georgeous, I at that time met up with a freind in Denver, Marksdad, and traded a set of Cornwall 2's plus cash for them.

I was down to the 1975 Klipshorns and the Cornwall 2's. Now at this time I had another issue. I took down my temp wall, and had no other place to put the Klipschorns, except for in my bedroom. So once in a while I would swap around the Cornwalls and Klipschorns. I did this a few times, then the Cornwalls sat and did nothing for about a year, I got stupid and sold them.

So to make a long story short, this is what happened over those years.

I have the Cornwalls, KLF-20, and KG 5.5s here. Also a full Klipsch 7.1 surround.

Money spent, is money missed.

Regards Jim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally the pitch of a drum is determined by the diameter of it's head. Those smaller kicks can also give great sound (although not as low) if they are miced and eq'd properly. You may be hearing the click, or punch of the kick, along with some reverb at the sound board if it sounds REALLY HUGE. They can also tuned as low as they can go, gated, and possibly given reinforcement by triggering synthesized drum or by use of a subharmonic synthesizer like the DBX120

I agree completely with Doc as the musicality of bass and what is really 'required'. This column started with a pretty simple question about 'most' bass (base- sic) so let's not bicker about apples and oranges.

I have heard the 884 LF and although it's not as powerful of output as some of the other models, it's LF is full and rich and tight. Just because a speaker dives down low does not mean that it has to be sloppy. I'm working with a guy who has a PA system that had dual 12" horn loaded for subs and it's incredible. So you never know.

Honestly I'm not quite happy with the KP682 bass compared to the MWM punch. There's just something very magical about bass coming through a properly designed horn. I think it's the low level of distortion that pleases my ears. 'Effortless' keeps coming to mind. Large drivers in bass reflex cabinets beating themselves to death just isn't as pretty.

Generally the pitch of a drum is determined by the diameter of it's head. Those smaller kicks can also give great sound (although not as low) if they are miced and eq'd properly. You may be hearing the click, or punch of the kick, along with some reverb at the sound board if it sounds REALLY HUGE. They can also tuned as low as they can go, gated, and possibly given reinforcement by triggering synthesized drum or by use of a subharmonic synthesizer like the DBX120

I agree completely with Doc as the musicality of bass and what is really 'required'. This column started with a pretty simple question about 'most' bass (base- sic) so let's not bicker about apples and oranges.

I have heard the 884 LF and although it's not as powerful of output as some of the other models, it's LF is full and rich and tight. Just because a speaker dives down low does not mean that it has to be sloppy. I'm working with a guy who has a PA system that had dual 12" horn loaded for subs and it's incredible. So you never know.

Honestly I'm not quite happy with the KP682 bass compared to the MWM punch. There's just something very magical about bass coming through a properly designed horn. I think it's the low level of distortion that pleases my ears. 'Effortless' keeps coming to mind. Large drivers in bass reflex cabinets beating themselves to death just isn't as pretty.

Michael,

I am not bickering, that is why I stopped replying about that with Mike. The orriginal question was what speaker has the most Bass and mid Bass. I take the KP-600 as a single Klipsch speaker SYSTEM, and as a single system, I think it fills the bill for the answer. Nothing "Magical" about that.

Of much more importance to myself is finding the final 2 HF sections for my TSCM 7.1, although I do think Indy Roger came up with a good substitute.

My second priority is to get the KP-600s up and running.

Third priority is to keep chipping away, trying to accumulate the parts for some MCMs of my own. If I ever complete the stacks, I agree with you totaly about the MWM Binns. I have already talked with Kevin about discussing with Roy of parameters for building my own MWM Binn with dual 18s.

On a final note, I am sorry I was not able to make it to your Indy Klipsch fest, but my Mom flew in for a 4 day weekend in Loisianna and brought my daughter with her.... sorry dude, no contest, not a fair fight, Klipschfest went down hard!!! It would be cool if we could all get our KP-600s up and running for next year and assemble 4 sets and maybe a cople of MCM stacks. Let's see what we can get assebled by next year!!

Roger

Fred - if you already have 7s and subs, than yes, I would explore either tube amps or upgraded crossovers to smooth the upper end peaks, I heard DeanGs and they are well worth the improvement!

In 2004, Colin, me and a few others had the opportunity to hear the 7's driven by some nice tube gear. We had extensive listening sessions with both stock and with the DeanG network upgrades. It was night and day, ....It was the difference between apples and chainsaws. (IMHO)

You know how (at volume), the RF-7 mids/top start to chew on your pant legs? That can go away. Don't walk, but run to Dean for his RF-7 crossovers.

Dean, please mail the check to .............[:D] No joke, I couldn't own the 7's without his networks.

All said from a two channel point of view.

tc

tc

Great thread. I'm all about the base.

Nice to know some of my old schoolfunk was demoed on the KP600's. I would love to hear em'.

I love the sound of dual 18" woofer reflex bins that are tuned 35-45Hz. Very common rigs in disco clubs back in the day. No they aren't horn loaded but handle the space bass nicely.

If I remember correctly, the KP600 dual 18" woofer bins were tuned somewhere around 40Hz. The ports are nothing but 3/4" circle cutouts. This is much different than the modern day KPT-684's used for Klipsch theater stuff. The port on those are much longer and I think tuned to 28Hz...with a -dB slope after about 40Hz (something like that).

I too love the sound of horn loaded bass but there are few that reach the bottom end well w/o a sub. I've heard the MWM's in corners and love the way they sound.

I now own 6 pairs of the double stacked MWM bins (12 woofers worth). In time I hope to stack them in corners to achieve an even lower response. Who knows.....even after doing that.....may have to add a sub[8-|]

jc

Great thread. I'm all about the base.

Nice to know some of my old schoolfunk was demoed on the KP600's. I would love to hear em'.

I love the sound of dual 18" woofer reflex bins that are tuned 35-45Hz. Very common rigs in disco clubs back in the day. No they aren't horn loaded but handle the space bass nicely.

If I remember correctly, the KP600 dual 18" woofer bins were tuned somewhere around 40Hz. The ports are nothing but 3/4" circle cutouts. This is much different than the modern day KPT-684's used for Klipsch theater stuff. The port on those are much longer and I think tuned to 28Hz...with a -dB slope after about 40Hz (something like that).

I too love the sound of horn loaded bass but there are few that reach the bottom end well w/o a sub. I've heard the MWM's in corners and love the way they sound.

I now own 6 pairs of the double stacked MWM bins (12 woofers worth). In time I hope to stack them in corners to achieve an even lower response. Who knows.....even after doing that.....may have to add a subGeeked

jc

JC,

Glad you found the thread!!

I enjoyed that disc, not my number one listening pick, but it was still an excellent recordind to demo with and we listened to it many times!! It was also very good to Demo Kevins Jubilees both with and without his KP-684 sub turned on, but much prefered the sub on. As I stated, we listened on alot of different occassions to it.

I have the KP-600 literature here handy that Kevin gave me and the KP-600 sub cabinet is called the KP-680-SW and response is 30 to 130Hz, very strong on Funk!!![:)]

JC, please keep me in mind if you ever descide to let loose of any of those MWM bins as I have started collecting MCM stuff as well[6]

Roger

hmmm, now my mind has to go to the - well, why can't we retune the KP680 SW to 28 Hz then? Especially if so many of us are installing the K47EP2 drivers (same as the KPT684 theater sub bin)?

Does the internal box volume come out to about the same?

hmmm, now my mind has to go to the - well, why can't we retune the KP680 SW to 28 Hz then? Especially if so many of us are installing the K47EP2 drivers (same as the KPT684 theater sub bin)?

Michael,

Are you sure the KPT-684s all orriginally came with the K-47EP2?? Kevins KPT-684 is all orriginal,and while he did not pull one of the drivers out of his KPT-684, he did not think it was the same driver as his 4 K-47EP2 drivers he just got and installed in his KP-680-SW cabinettes.

There were 2 different driver orriginally that came in the KP-680-SW cabinettes. The magnet backs on the earlier woofer units were flat, while the later units had a humped up area on the back, these were the improved drivers. Kevin had one of each, and gave one to his brother and the other to Bill H. Bill had both types on his 600s.

The recomendation to buy the K-47EP2 as an upgrade came directly from Roy to Kevin. Bill had talked about ordering the K-47EP2 for his churches stacks, but as far as I know, he is still using all orriginal drivers in his stacks. Myself, I definetly plan on ordering 4 of the K-47EP2s when I get arround to it.

Right now I am planning on selling that single K-Horn I have and buying that RF-7 that was converted into a center channel to replace my moms RC-7 that you saw when you and Indy Roger came by.

I definetley plan to get my 600s in good shape by next year, so how about a story with pictures of the revamping of yours and maybe we can see how many 600s we can get together for your Indy Shin-Dig next year Mang!! MMMMmmKKK??

Roger

So if you get a wall of KP-600s set up, will you be playing Deep Purple and The Who, just to see if you can match their concert volumes?

Islader,

If Cholter and everyone else is game and could make it, it could be very interesting!!

Michael has a set of 600s, Kevin Harmon has a set, Bill Hendricks has a set he got for his church, I have a set. That is 4 sets, or 8 stacks that are capable of 134Db per stack, on top of which, michael has a pair of MCM-1900s, Kevin has Michaels other set of MCM-1900s now, and I am trying to piece together a set.[6]

Could get cops from a couple of different jurisdictions involved with that much SPL on tap!![6]

It is Michaels show, a long way off, and alot has to fall in place, but it is never too early to plan ahead.

I think it could make for alot of grinns on peoples faces!! I have heard 2 sets of 600s or 4 stacks, and a pair of 450s playing in an outside venue, and it was powerful, real powerful!!

Roger

Since Klipschorns have a maximum accoustic output of 124 Db, and each KP-600 stack has a maximum accoustic output of 134 Db, that means every KP-600 stack has the equivelent output of more then 8 K-Horns / 1=124, 2=127, 4=130, 8=133 Db

The wall of sound below would be capable of more output then 48 K-Horns!!

Roger

Re: Welcome to the Vintage Vault

4 kp-600 stacks, the ones on the outside are for Roger Gordon, the mcm stacks and inside 600's are mine.

Kevin

wallofsound6.jpg

There is another KP-600 Stack clear to the right that is cut off in this picture. If you HIT THE REPLY BUTTON AT THE TOP OF MY 3:44 AM POST, the picture opens up and shows the last stack, so you can use Kevins 1972 Blue 442, the Red Convertible Chevelle, and the boat behind the Chevelle in the shot to approximate the size of these speakers. I am 6'3" tall and each KP-600 stack is about 3 inches taller then me as shown. If my two KP-600 stacks had there 18" drivers, there would be 8-18" drivers, 12-15" drivers, 6-10" drivers, 6-KP-600 mid range horn drivers (mine have the double driver settup & Kevins have the single), 8-K-77 tweeter drivers and 10 Piezos in this photograph.

Roger