Finally starting to pull the dream together! (THX ULTRA2)

tragusa3

Like many guys, I've had hobbies come and go. But one hobby that has stayed with me for the last 30 years has been Home Theater. My systems were always made up of hand me downs, items from the used market, pieces that fit my budget but not my desires. Life had a way of timing things that I just never could justify spending money on the hobby the way that I wanted to. Heck, my system as of yesterday still included (as mains) a pair of AR's from a pawn shop that I bought back in the late 80's and have had reconed twice.

I've always had friends that had Klipsch systems. A few with Heritage systems and a few lately with Reference systems. Just last year I helped my Dad put together a Reference system for his room. It was fun to spend his money, but painful that it wasn't for my own room.

Yesterday, all that has begun to change. I placed an order for KL-650's for the front three mains. The day has finally come.

My room is a dedicated room in the basement, 30'x17.5'x9'. They'll be placed behind an AT 2.35 screen of 168" horizontally. I'm hoping the big sound and big picture really pull the room together. I don't remember reading such steller reviews on a product in a long time and I'm confident they'll measure up.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome.

As for gear, I will currently be using them along with a Denon AVR3300 (from back in 2000), the side surrounds are Paradigm dipoles, the rear surrounds will be my current mains, AR towers from the mid 80's, the sub is a Velodyne F-1500R (a 15" servo from the mid-90's that's still pounding away). That's it for audio. On the video side, I have a Panasonic AE900 and using it on an acoustically transparant 72"x 168" screen.

As I said earlier, my hobby has been sacrificed for things like baby diapers, refridgerators, new houses, etc. BUT, GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE THAT WAIT !!!

These KL-650's are the first piece to an entire upgrade to my equipment. And the good thing about this upgrade is that every piece of it will be no compromises, get what I need to get, kinda upgrades! :)

Downside is, that the room is still under construction and money must pour into the room construction before I can do the rest of my upgrades. These speakers were bought out of sequence just to keep my morale up about the room build, which I'm doing 95% of myself (two year project so far).

Some things I'm hoping for in the future. Obviously the rest of the Ultra2 surround speakers, at a minimum a pair of the Ultra2 subs (but I'm reserving the right to find subs that pound even harder). I will go seperates with the amp and processor but haven't begun to research that yet, as it is likely 4-5 years off. But I am going to give these speakers enough power (maybe 300watts to all 7). I'm thinking Bryston, Parasound, etc.

My room is treated with Linacoustic over the entire screen wall and down each of the side walls up to a 48" height. Also have base traps in the front two corners of triangular OC703. Room treatment actually has made my old speakers sound 30% better! It was amazing.

Roger, can't take photos of the speakers, they are somewhere between Nevada and South Carolina. I've got an extensive construction thread with photos over at AVSForum. Would be glad to post here though, or direct you to that thread (if thats cool).

The system that I mentioned buying for my Dad last year was a RF62 based system, and I couldn't get the smile off my face after watching the Hell Freezes Over concert! So I can't wait for these. I suppose though that with only the front three I'll be lacking the punch for awhile....I'm hoping that it is still impressive? any thoughts?

By the way, tracking on UPS says they'll be here on Tuesday. I was really hoping to have had them by the weekend. Bummer.

• Moderators

Thats a good size room it should sound great with that setup.

If I could just pull together the dream I had the other night it would be great, it was these two tall blonds and ....well you get the idea........

hmmm, for some reason it crops the width out of my photos. But if I hit the reply button I can see the whole photo in the reply window. ???

Anyway, you get the point.

Question, you can see the space behind my screen. Would you tend to mount the 650's off the screen wall or off the back wall?

hmmm, for some reason it crops the width out of my photos. But if I hit the reply button I can see the whole photo in the reply window. ???

Anyway, you get the point.

Question, you can see the space behind my screen. Would you tend to mount the 650's off the screen wall or off the back wall?

Same thing here, crops but opens up on the reply button.

Looks freakin awsome so far dude!!

Just me, but I would build it so the speakers fronts are all flush to the point of the back of the screen, just like the center.

I plan on building on a room to do just that after I colect everything I need. My main stumbling block at this point is finding two TSCM high frequency sections for my Bass bins. The TSCM is a pro version of the Corner Horn that was only sold to theatres.

Post some pictures of unboxing the new toys when they arrive on Tuesday!

Roger

Thanks Roger! I appreciate it. After two years of pounding every nail myself, doing all the electrical myself, all insulation, all sheetrock, building risers, on and on.....It's nice to hear someone say it looks good. :) Even though the pretty layers aren't on yet!

You got me thinking....I was originally either going to build shelves on the room wall, or attach shelves to the screen wall, but why not just build stands that are free floating so that I can adjust when and where I feel like? I think that's my solution.

By the way....the darn Ultra2's just left El Paso last night. :( They sat in Phoenix for over 24 hours. This is killing me!!!

Thanks Roger! I appreciate it. After two years of pounding every nail myself, doing all the electrical myself, all insulation, all sheetrock, building risers, on and on.....It's nice to hear someone say it looks good. :) Even though the pretty layers aren't on yet!

You got me thinking....I was originally either going to build shelves on the room wall, or attach shelves to the screen wall, but why not just build stands that are free floating so that I can adjust when and where I feel like? I think that's my solution.

By the way....the darn Ultra2's just left El Paso last night. :( They sat in Phoenix for over 24 hours. This is killing me!!!

I tried to copy a picture, but it was to large for me to copy. My brother in law did a room 24' by 36' I think on the length. He built the edition himself, and I wire it. the 36' length does not include the distance behind the false wall. My idea, and he built it, but he has shelving built into the wall that you can access all of the stereo equipement for rewire from behind. I wired lighting in the access space that can be turned on from behind. All you have to do to access this space is pull out the TV. He has since bought a new TV that does not fit the hole propperly. I plan on doing the same thing, but my access will be behind the center channel speaker. If you would like a picture of my brother in laws room, please email me at rgordon@watchtv.net and I will email the shot to you.

Roger

Roger, that sounds neat. I sent you an email. I'm planning something pretty similar. The equipment will all be in a cabinet at the rear of the room and I will have access to the rear through a hidden door in the room behind. I'll also be venting all the heat out of the cabinet into the adjacent room (storage room).

Thanks dtel. Does Indy have any photos of his theater online?

So I'm still tracking these Utra2's. I've had a terrible time playing the waiting game. I didn't even sleep well last night! But then, when you get to the last few days of a twenty year wait, it can be tough. :)

Tracking shows them in Birmingham and sceduled to be here tomorrow! If they get to our terminal tonight I may just have to drive out and pick them up there!

Got to get the stands built today.

They came in, FINALLY! I've got such a busy day with work today though that I hope you guys don't mind me doing a copy and paste from my comments on another forum....

---------------------------------------

Old Today, 08:33 AM #365 | Link
I had to keep telling myself to not set expectations too high, as I only have 3 pieces of the 9 piece system. And when firt turning it on and bringing my receiver up to my typical movie level of -7, I was very much underwhelmed. I expected that the higher efficiency speaker would be more dynamic and have more volume at a given point on the receiver. However, it was sort of flat and dead??? I ran through all my receiver setup again to make sure all was appropriate and it was... So I figured, what the heck, I may as well turn the volume up and see what happens. With the older speakers, I wouldn't dare turn it past about -4, as the speakers would really complain. I got to -4 and even 00 and these were starting to sound out pretty well and not complaining! So I moved up a little at a time until I hit +15 which is the max on the receiver. The room was filled with amazingly clear impactful sound. smile.gif My ears were starting to ring and a headache was coming on fast, so I pulled it back to something more "normal" and left the room for a bit to let my ears "recalibrate" themselves.

I got the whole family together that evening and we demoed a few passages of Indiana Jones (Crystal Skull) and Narnia (Prince Caspian). I was a bit concerned of my wifes impressions, as she had put faith in me to spend OUR money and I didn't want to disappoint. If she didn't see the value here, then my efforts to buy the rest of the system would have to be ramped up to a high level. smile.gif

I first played a quiet passage of IJCS so that she could get a taste of some of the more subtle improvements. It took her all of 10 seconds to put a smile on and give me the nod of approval! Job done!

She then asked to hear some more action packed scenes. I played the ant scene at reference level (plus some). Again, it didn't take but 10 seconds for that big smile and an "eyes bulging", "OH MY" look!

After a few different scenes, we paused and discussed. She commented (unsolicited) that it sounded like a commercial theater only better! She also recognized the shortcomings of our current sub and surrounds and asked me if I felt like getting the rest of the system now. It's awfully tempting, but I must refocus and channel the funds back into construction items....we have a long way to go still.

In all, we are very pleased. I'm convinced that my wife makes a good barometer of performance. Sometimes we (home theater nuts) get too close to all the technical mumbo jumbo and we need an uninfected source to be our judge of value. smile.gif For now, the judge is happy.