Review of my 4638

CarlV

It came yesterday by cargo truck. This thing is huge and weights around 140lbs. I had to have a friend help me lug it to my hometheater room.

I hooked it up alone first, this sub definitely moves air, I could feel the air blowing out of the ports... felt like a fan. I would have to say that this sub is right on par with my SVS 16-46 all they way to 20 hz probably. I didn't take any measurements but this sub rocks. Shook my entire room with the same authority as my SVS. Also this sub is very tight for dual 15" woofers, no distortion at all, pure acurate bass.

There's only one problem though, it has a very slight hum... kinda static sounding. Is this normal? I'm currently using a peavey cs800 that I will be replacing with a denon poa-5200. I'm hoping that replacing the amp will cure the hum or I may try to plug it into my moster 2000 conditioner.

I will call JBL if I can't get rid of the hum/static.

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by CarlV:

I would have to say that this sub is right on par with my SVS 16-46 all they way to 20 hz probably. I didn't take any measurements but this sub rocks.

It should be interesting to see some numbers, the pdf says its 10dB down already at 30Hz, so it should be (guessing) at least another 2dB or 3dB lower at 20Hz.

The buzzing sounds like an amp problem. The subwoofer is TOO simple to have a problem like that. If it is the subwoofer, I have no idea! Try as many amps as you can. The JBL will hide nothing, so it could be any electrical interference.

Glad you are enjoying the JBL. I hope I don't get threats from people who say I got them a bad deal! Get a good amp and enjoy!

The subwoofer WILL go below 25 Hz for sure, probably into the teens with ease and no noticable distortion. The specs are taken in a "free space" where the room chariteristics are nill, so in a room, especially one in a house, the subs are underwhelmed and will be able to play a LOT lower than in a theater or open space. JBL is very conservative on outputs, so don't listen to them, listen to the sub once installed!

Canada eh?

I hope JBL is kind to you. It should just be a long truck trip, but tax could rape you. Good luck, are they helping you or are you getting the cold sholder?

I would hate to see what it would cost our Greek friend, truck to L.A. port, container ship, duties, shipping/(bribes?) in Greece! That could be rough! I bet it could be $500 for shipping!

The buzz on these 4638s is good. cwm12.gif

I have one coming along with the PartsExpress 250W sub amp. I have now started to focus on another sub to carry the "sub" range. It looks like this might not be necessary!cwm20.gif

What are people using to measure frequencies? Measuring hardware? Test tones? My Yamaha DSP-A1 will generate test tones. Is using this and listening good enough?

Can't wait for my shipments!!!

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

Update:

I've upgraded interconnect and now the hum/static is gone.

But now when I connect my SVS 46-16 via y adapter the hum/static comes back. What the ****. It may have something to do with the radio shack 1/4 adapters that I'm using. My new Denon amp will be arriving in a few days, hopefully this will take care of the hum/static.

Anyway with both subs connected, my hometheater is downright scary. I'm afraid to turn it up too much in fear of damaging something in the house.

I'll update when the new amp arrives.

quote:

Originally posted by CharlieTuna:

What are people using to measure frequencies? Measuring hardware? Test tones? My Yamaha DSP-A1 will generate test tones. Is using this and listening good enough?

If you already can make the tones the next step would be to buy an SPL meter. Radio Shack sells one, and its cheap.

The next setp would involve an RTA software (like Spectralab or ETF) and a calibrated mic to do more professional and accurate tests.

I keep it simple for me. I have a $100 music making program called FruityLoops and I make a tone, use the spectrum analyzer on my computer to find the frequency, and let it rip. If I cannot hear it from the sub, its too low. It would be easy to pop ANY subwoofer that didn't have protection circuits in it. 10-15Hz makes the woofers flap in the breeze, they don't have noise or vibrations.