New DVD player...

SilverSport

I am currently using either a Toshiba SD-3950 (remember the bargain CD player with the good chipset?) or a low priced Sony...I am not at Blu-Ray just yet...what might on recommend for a nice DVD player to go with a 50" Sony LCD 720p native...?

Are the Oppo players really THAT much better???...

Look for an Oppo 983 (basically the Blu-Ray player without the Blu-Ray)? ($300-$350 shipped)

Buy a new Oppo 980???

Toshiba HD-A2 used???

Something else???

Bill

I am not sure what you want to spend but I highly suggest you try one of these.

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?sorcdvda&1252509571

I recently bought the Onkyo version(DV-SP1000) and could not be more pleased. A tank of a player(26+lbs) with great sound and video and plays all formats except BD and HD-DVD.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/121839.aspx

A couple of the Onkyo's on the bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320384942410

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320384064968

Look at these reviews.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/DV-SP1000E.html

Bill

PS

As you can tell, I really like this player.

I am currently using either a Toshiba SD-3950 (remember the bargain CD player with the good chipset?) or a low priced Sony...I am not at Blu-Ray just yet...what might on recommend for a nice DVD player to go with a 50" Sony LCD 720p native...?

Toshiba HD-A2 used???

Hi Bill,

I have the 3950. I bought the HD-A2 off ebay after Toshiba announced they were vacating the business. It has a fantastic upscaler and will do 720P or in my case 1080i. As a DVD player (or if you grab some hd-dvd's) it is fantastic.

I have almost pulled the gun a dozen times on a blu ray player... they just aren't good enough yet and have too many issues with SD's and even the blu ray disks themselves. Read around and you will find discussions on them taking up to three seconds to do a layer change on SD... many of the new titles end up requiring a firmware update to play a movie and the load times are just this side of ridiculous.

I will wait until the next generation and even then am not sure - using Java as the basis was a huge mistake.

PS3 has 0 delay on layer SD layer changes, no issues that I've encountered with SD or Blu-Ray discs, incredibly fast load times, completely upgradeable to all future Blu-Ray firmware versions. If you're ok with spending around $300 for a player you should seriously consider getting one.

Samsung BD-P 1590. I got mine from Wal-Mart for 248.00 ! It goes with My 46" Samsung TV w/ 1080p , that I got for only 998.00.................

I know there is not alot of love for Wal-Mart, but there prices are stomping Best Buy .......................

• Moderators

PS3 has 0 delay on layer SD layer changes, no issues that I've encountered with SD or Blu-Ray discs, incredibly fast load times, completely upgradeable to all future Blu-Ray firmware versions. If you're ok with spending around $300 for a player you should seriously consider getting one.

I totally agree. Simply no problems whatsoever from my PS3. Load times are very fast, never really felt that I was "waiting" for it to load.

I, too, use a PS3 as my BD player and I agree with the above comments about its speediness. Remember that its only HD audio output is via HDMI, and then only PCM, so if your receiver does not support multichannel LPCM over HDMI you cannot play the new HD formats from the PS3. Also, unlike some of the newer BD players, there is no link to Netflix or other streaming media sources to allow Play on Demand.

I totally agree. Simply no problems whatsoever from my PS3. Load times are very fast, never really felt that I was "waiting" for it to load.

Yes, I have done some reading on this as to why the PS3 always works well with new discs. What I found was the discs contain patches that are automatically loaded for the PS3 (take a look at a couple discs).

I am certainly contemplating this route but hesitate due to the audio limitations and slightly reduced pq. Pick your poison right.

Here is a Sony 360 for only 199.99.

Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray Player $199.99 Free Shipping,
Jul. 27 3 PM

if (showPics())
document.write('
A2646232.jpg
')
A2646232.jpg

Dell Home has the Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray Player for $199.99 Free Shipping after $100 off Coupon Code: BCK4799VVBX8T7 (Exp 7/29 or 500 uses). Tax in most.

Features BD-Live 2.0, DVD 1080p upscaling, ethernet/USB ports and 6 second QuickStart Mode.