OT: Sheepherding Finals

J.4knee

I've stewarded a couple of events in the DFW area. Pretty neat competition. I especially enjoyed the cattle herding. I saw a BC stare down a steer that would have nothing to do with herding. There were a few tense moments.

Shelties are pretty good at herding also!

Border Collie Trials are the best thing about the county fair! Man, they are soooo smart. Do they ever relax and get "cuddly?" Type A dogs for sure. Hmm, I wonder if my Shih Tzu Theodore could be taught to herd sheep...He's pretty good with his squeaky toys.

Border Collie Trials are the best thing about the county fair! Man, they are soooo smart. Do they ever relax and get "cuddly?" Type A dogs for sure...

I don't really consider the guy to the left (in the avatar) to be a dog - he's a Border Collie, and it's sometimes scary how much he knows: he picks up human speech quite well. He's also our best buddy -- he'll be cuddly for about 1-2 minutes in the morning with us, but then it's time to throw the racket ball (he'll only use one ball, even if the extra ball is identical to the first). I'd say we throw 100-250 times per day on average (he's 5 years old).

The most intense herder I've ever seen was when I attended Will Rogers Arena (Moncrief Bldg) in Fort Worth during the Fat Stock Show: the Australian Kelpie. Apparently these aren't pets--they work livestock only--the most intense animal that I've ever seen.

Chris