Help building grills for Jubilee bass bins.

Kudret

I've been away from this place too long.

Kudret has the Jubilee?!

I remember when we were both hunting for Klipschorns such a few short years ago.

Well Kudret, since you upgrade every year or so, I guess your next upgrade won't be Klipsch since you have managed to get to the top of that mountain. Let me know when you upgrade and I'll see if I can take these off your hands!

I am going to have to look you up the next time I drive to Montréal! I would seriously love to hear these!

The top and bottom 'plates' on the clones really give the cabinets a unified look. Bravo!

Bingo...

Ok... I don't know if I can describe this too well since I'm not a wood guy.

I once made the idea for making the black versions pretty by, cutting BOTH a top plate and a bottom plate. Same shape as the bass bin however, extending 3/4" to the front. These upper/lower lips would then help hold a pretty panel in the center as well as grills on the sides. For me it's easy since I'd have a 3/4" front all the way across.

Kudret doesn't have that since he's already got the pretty front BUT, no 3/4" lip.

What if...

Cut two pieces of nice plywood, shaped like the bass bin. Again, extend it 3/4" all the way across the bottom and the top EXCEPT for where the current pretty panel is. The upper/lower panels would be cut back so this front piece and these panels are flush. The only 3/4" extension would actually be on the sides.

Beveling to them, rather than a 90 degree cut might blend it in better but this would give you a square edge all the way around the top, give you lips to hold grills on their top/bottoms and would still allow the front panel to be seen.

It would be 100% reversable since your speaker would in essence, be sandwiched between these two panels without any cutting and your K402 assembly would be the weight on top (I'd probably put a new base on it too)

I am not good at drawing and my wife would tell you I'm not very artistic in my thinking either [:(] so I don't know how this would look asthetically. It's just one way I've thought of doing mine. Well, actually, it's an alteration to one of my thoughts.

I believe this is all the wrong approach.. Maybe a design like the Tannoy Westminster Royal,,, The grill covers everything from top to bottom,,, Trying to just cover the sides of the Bass bins,,and covering the top horn sepretly like a standard Khorn looks lopsided,,, But doing a clean sweep top to bottom looks cleaner,,

I believe this is all the wrong approach.. Maybe a design like the Tannoy Westminster Royal,,, The grill covers everything from top to bottom,,, Trying to just cover the sides of the Bass bins,,and covering the top horn sepretly like a standard Khorn looks lopsided,,, But doing a clean sweep top to bottom looks cleaner,,

MMmmmm Tannoy Westminster one of the sexiest speakers on the planet. If they look as good as they sound [:P] [:P] [:P] If anyone knows of a pair in the south I could listen to I would really like to hear them.

There are two versions of the Tannoys,,, The Westminster TW, and the Westminster Royal,,, The TW uses a special Tulip waveguide in the High frequency section,, And the Royal uses what is called the PepperPot waveguide in the HF section,, There is some other miner variations in the bass driver and bass bin cabinet,,, Every thing is built in house,,, Plus $10,000 difference in price. How do they sound??? TERRIFIC !!!