How the other half lives -- Bill Clinton's BBJ experience

LarryC

No, not what you're thinking! I couldn't identify by looking the intercontinental jet that brought Bill and the 2 journalists back to the US non-stop (after refueling at a USAF airbase in Japan). From the front, it didn't have a wide enough stance to be an Airbus, and didn't look big enough to be a long-distance Boeing.

I thought the answer was very interesting -- a private Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) based on a 737. Because it's only made to carry 30 people at the most, it can fly well over 4,000 miles, in contrast to much less in airline useage.

To someone used to squeezing into coach, this looks like an enviable experience! I couldn't download pictures, so you'll have to poke around the website to see for yourselves. Go to http://www.boeing.com/commercial/bbj/, click on "private", then "models,", then "BBJ," then "floor plans." Use the R/L arrows to look at the representations of the lounge area, dining room, washroom and bedroom. No doubt custom variations are available. See http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4506458/3/#1 for an informative thread. The plane, perhaps this one, made the 4,770-mi flight from Japan to Burbank in 10 hrs.

Boeing 737-7EI BBJ aircraft picture

Other information from the above thread:

N2121 -

SHANGRI LA ENTERTAINMENT LLC
C/O AVJET CORP
4301 EMPIRE AVE
BURBANK, CA 91505

The film production company provides their BBJ to many political figures. Republican Trent Lott has been criticized for the large number of flights he has taken on their aircraft and his relationship with the company backers.

Andy Meyers is/was the Presidetn of the company - which was behind such productions as Polar Express, Beowulf and many more. The company also has a record branch and is involved in commercial real estate and construction.

Hard to find who is the real money behind the small privately held company - but it appears to be Steve Bing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bing

Bing is listed as a contributor to the William J Clinton Foundation at the "$10,000,001 to $25,000,000" level.

Bill and company could've gotten there & back much faster and with less cost had they taken one of these:

http://www.gulfstream.com/products/g550/

Check out the specs.

Does it have a bedroom?

I wonder if they lollygagged to arrive in Burbank at a good time for the media. 477 mph (4770 mi in 10 hrs) seems slow to me for Eastbound unless it included refuel time.

Does it have a bedroom?

Bedroom.....all Bill needs is a desk and a chair.

I'm sorry but that has to be the funniest thing I've read in a looooooong time. All that was needed was the snare drum roll and cymbal crash.

LMAO...........

Oh - and yes, we can put a bedroom on a plane.

Tom

Bill and company could've gotten there & back much faster and with less cost had they taken one of these:

http://www.gulfstream.com/products/g550/

Check out the specs.

The G550 might be a great plane, but the BBJ looks more presidential, which is important in some political situations. Bill probably didn't want to arrive like some rich businessman, but like a statesman.

The mission seems to have been a success. If meeting with Bill Clinton helps reassure Kim Jong-il his country's not on the next-to-be-invaded list, he won't feel the need to have nuclear weapons at the ready. I know that wasn't the reason for the visit, but it will likely be an additional benefit.

Talking is cheaper than fighting, and, as you'll recall from Team America - World Police, Kim is so rone-ry. I'm sure he enjoyed having some company other than his bodyguards for a day.

Hope that wasn't too political, Amy.

Kim Jong-il is a scared little man who's no longer backed up by his big brother, China, so he wants to look tough. He's not trying to take over the world, or even the district. If a visit from Bill Clinton can make him feel less paranoid and feel that he's seen as another head of state, not a pariah that no-one will talk to, that's a good thing for everyone, especially his neighbours.

Dialogue and respect (or at least the appearance of it) is better than ostracism and conflict. Kim has been ostracized for years, and it just made him more paranoid, with predictable results. It's all very well to demonize one man, but he represents a whole nation of people who barely have enough to eat and aren't likely to take up arms unless their leader feels he's backed into a corner. They would be the ones paying the price for his personality issues.

Dialogue and respect (or at least the appearance of it) is better than ostracism and conflict. Kim has been ostracized for years, and it just made him more paranoid, with predictable results. It's all very well to demonize one man, but he represents a whole nation of people who barely have enough to eat and aren't likely to take up arms unless their leader feels he's backed into a corner. They would be the ones paying the price for his personality issues.

Do you really believe he controls the country?[^o)] Yea sure he does.[8-)]

Also dictators do not represent the people of their country.

Also dictators do not represent the people of their country.

Perhaps I used the word "represent" ambiguously. The people of North Korea may not have chosen him to lead them, but they will benefit or suffer from his actions.

Dtel- HA HAHA thats rich- Let's see here- Bill Clinton- Kim Young Jill- 2 hot young women-a korean prison cell and a private jet....The only thing missing here is a box of cigars and a dry cleaner.Wise man say- vinchester leave thread now before he get into trouble . I am taking the wise man's advice

Peace out.

I will stick around long enough to answer that question. We sell to GS big time. Recent 3 week furlow. The immage of Car co CEOs jetting around hurt the sales of luxury jets along with the recession. maybe the recent order by the US congress will help out. Good enough for them but not the car makers..

GS is doing better- we are seeing some orders from them.