An Amazing 15 Y/O

nu2toobs

He's pretty good, but here's Desiree Bassett. She started playing guitar at three and has played with The Marshall Tucker Band, Sammy Hagar, Dave Matthews and others and she's only 15. She also has her own band and does Satriani, Hendrix and Clapton covers.

One of her original tunes played live:
Desiree Bassett - Broken Machine:

Desiree Bassett - Circles:

I watch this clip of Andy Clayton quite often. I think i read on his website, or it may have been on youtube comments, where he says he learned this in about two weeks time, and claims its rather easy--mostly muscle memory. (sorry, i don't know how to post a link, so i just cut & pasted it). this is worth watching.

btw, most of these would sound horrid without a ton of digital delays, doublers, and other electronica. Hand them an acoustic and see if they can play Over the Hills and Far Away.

Except for those 'Boris' clips- man that gave me shivers. There is some real POWER for ya. It's not how many notes you play but how you play them. Can anyone say Hammer of the Gods? Gotta give cred to a band with double neck guitar singer, drummer with basic Bonzo kit (with piccolo snare on the live Pink track) and that chick shredding with the Orange stacks. I don't know what vocal effects they used on that studio track but I've got to study them. WOw, hope they go somewhere. Raw emotion in that music. Dig it.

Boris has a bit of a cult following already. Some say they're the heaviest band in the world, and that just might be true. They even had a Youtube clip that ran over 50 minutes, but I can't seem to find it. Actually, Takeshi plays a guitarbass. The upper neck is a bass. He plays that and rhythm on the guitar neck, while Wata wails on her guitar. Unfortunately, most of the clips seem to focus on Takeshi when he's singing, even if Wata is playing some incredible riff at the same time.

Here's a review of a show they did in Vancouver. They appear to have really got the audience's attention: http://www.metalunderground.com:80/news/details.cfm?newsid=38176

Here's a picture of Wata with her Orange stack. I think it's from the CD Amplifier Worship. How's that for a cool album name?

post-23736-13819488930476_thumb.jpg

yup, just like Vai, all technique, no soul. Good for his age though.

There seem to be dozens of clips on Youtube of teens playing Canon and the like in their bedrooms, very well in many cases, but Desiree Bassett is out there on stage with her band playing. To me, that's the real thing.

BTW, here's a clip of Steve Vai discussing his audition for Frank Zappa's band: