New K'horn owner

99PanozAIV

Hello,

This is my first post. I just grabbed a pair of sequential serial number Klipschorns, delivered to my house for $1,500. The cabinets will definitely need some TLC refinishing. I did not have a way of listening to them in any critical way but they're at least working. From the serial numbers, they are apparently 1979 vintage. They have a type AA crossover, and the K55V midrange horn. I couldn't see the tweeter to tell anything about it and didn't open anything up to look at the woofer. One of my friends looking at the crossover thought that, given the age, their performance might be marginal. I've read about cross over upgrades but am not really that technical and am looking for advice as to what might be best for this year and type speaker, please be specific; I've visited some of the websites but can't decipher the details.

My two uses will be music listening, all types, and home theater. I currently have Klipsch front, center and rears now, with SVS sub. I will move the current fronts to the rear, the rears to the side and the K'horns will become the two front speakers. Suggestions getting these all set for the next 20 years will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: ...and I do like to rattle the walls most of the time

Well, Congratulations on your Klipschorns! They are a nice sounding speaker, even in their stock form.

First things first (let's do the inexpensve stuff first). Search the threads on positioning the speakers. They must be in corners. That is an absolute. Search the threads for "pipe foam" and search the threads for "false corner"

Next try some experiments. For instance try them on the long wall, then try them on the short wall. Change your listening location etc. Simply listen,listen, listen.

Report back next month and then we can discuss crossovers. The rough choices are: 1) fresh capacitors, 2) fresh & fancy capacitors, 3) re-designed crossovers, and 4) very expensive re-designed crossovers. We can save all that for later. For now, simply set up the speakers properly and listen to them.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Very good advice. Get your khorns installed and set up properly and get familiar with how they sound. There's lots of time to get on the upgrading merry-go-round later, if you feel the need.

Also, congrats on getting some great speakers!

Congratulations on your new speakers.

I bought my KHorns in May with only a quick audition, not properly set up so I know what it's like to buy them without listening first. The guys above give great suggestions, same as I got in May. Definately set them up in the cornsers or else they will sound too bright due to not enough bass. Don't be afraid to experiment with room treatments either. I found that damping the opposite corners helped a bit. A well matched amp is a must for me, but might not be possible for you with HT. If I could do one thing differently it would probably be to take my time and listen longer before I made changes. You will be rewarded with fantastic sound.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

What we lack in picture posting abilities, we make up for in just about every other way.[:)]

Welcome back. How have you been enjoying the Khorns?

I've been here for years and can't post multiple pictures in one post! I used to until they upgraded the forum software about 5 years ago.[:S]

NICE!!! Bob also built my crossovers. A night and day difference. I thought they sounded good before the new crossovers, but they came to life. I got the Type AA/A Convertible crossovers. I have only run them as Type AA so far.

So, how do they sound?

Dennie

Congratulations on your wise purchase, it looks like you got a good deal. Recapping these is definitely in order, and shouldn't cost much. The crossover gurus on the forum that were mentioned can help you with that, and there are folks here who can give good advice when you are ready to refinish the cabinets.

Welcome to the forum!