gota chance to get klipsch rf7 with a problem...i need help

mosteller

this local gentleman has a set of klipsch rf7 for sale for $100....but it is a little scratched , the covers are missing , dust covers pushed in,and one speaker bearly makes a mumbling sound they think the crossover is messed up.....what should i do.

the workin speaker has 2 wires bridging on the back , the one not working doesnt....but I dont think that is the reason they dont work...help please

Buy 'em! Woofers tweeters and crossovers are readily available.

If the one speaker doesn't have the bi-amp/wire plates it makes sense that it doesn't seem like its working. Buy 'em, get them home and then we can go from there.

If you look at the speaker that has the metal jumper in place you'll see that positive to positive and negative to negative is the way they need to be hooked up. If not, you'll only hear sound from the woofers or from the tweeter depending on which input terminal you connect to.

You can use a short piece of speaker wire to serve the same purpose as the metal jumper.

Originally when I saw this thread pop up I was thinking NO WAY ‘cause it seems these speakers have been through the battlefields, but didn’t respond as I really know nothing about how speakers work, crossovers, etc... But after reading people comments I must say they have changed my view towards this and I now say YES YES.. for the initial $100 it could be a fun project and you could be responsible for making these speakers sing again.. I would do it and you know you have so much help and support in this place.. this project can lead you into a whole different world of speaker restoration..

Good luck and let us know how you go..

I would get a hold of the Klipsch parts Dept and see how much the parts are for cosmetic issues you couldnt live with. Mainly the woofers since you say the dust covers are pushed in(if that is the only problem with the woofers, it will NOT affect the sound) and if you want to live without grills or covers. I would opt for the cheaper of the two and then use or dont use the grills. If you get the grills it really doesnt matter what the woofers look like. I would then weigh it against how severe the damage is to the cabinets. It really comes down to if you want a rocking speaker only or if you want it to look nice as well.

You may want to try the jumper trick AFTER you pay him the 100 and get them home. If you do it in front of him and he sees that is all it was, he may want to increase the price. Unethical on sellers part, YES. Good Luck.

Even if you wind up puting another few hundred dollars into them, it'll be well worth it. The scratches can be covered to an extent.

But, yea, the jumpers HAVE to be in place for all the drivers to work (unless you're bi-wiring or bi-amping -- whole other can of Pandora's Worms there). If they don't after that, take out one of the offending drivers and trace it back to the crossover to see if the wire connections are in place and tight.

it was worth the $100...today i got them and biwired the back like the other one and they worked .......the best sounding speakers i ever heard
thanks everyone for the help.

$100 ..... you're one hell of a lucky guy ... have fun with the RF-7's ... you won't regret your buy for a minute ... be sure of that [Y]

What a deal ... what a deal !