Do 115 dB peaks on the LFE channel represent what you hear in a movie theater?

Kain

I've calibrated all my speakers flat, including the subwoofer. I remember watching Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

in a movie theater and the bass during the spaceship flyover scene that

ends in an explosion at the beginning of the movie was very strong. If

I watch that scene on my calibrated setup at full reference level, I

don't get that kind of bass during that scene. I have to bump up the

subwoofer about 3-6 dB higher to get that same feeling.

This got me wondering if the movie theater had its bass hot or if

reference level for movie theaters is different from that of home

theaters.

IIRC from when I worked at a movie theater, George specifies that the star wars movies be played at a certain volume level, this specified level was hotter than we normally kept any of the systems in our theater.

When I saw LOTR The Two Towers at downtown disney the highest reading I got on my SPL meter was around 97db if memory serves..

kain: As a comparator; I use my Pioneer Elite receiver's built-in calibration system: MCACC (done with a supplied microphone) and had Dr. Who take some curves on my room. We are running all Klipsch Reference series stuff (RF7s, etc and an RSW-15 Sub) in a 7.1 configuration. The result of the calibration rendered a fairly flat response curve from our room, which I've included below. I never deviate from these settings, with the exception of adding +3 db volume to both rear channels and I love the sound we are getting. When measuring the system from the listener's position with a digital sound level meter set to "C" weighted and "Slow" response, I consistently read a 124 db peak in the low bass region during one of the missle chase scenes in 'Behind Enemy Lines". We have a small, 10.5W x 19L x 7H HT room.

So yes, I believe that the 115 db peak you are seeing is probably as intended by the movie's makers. But this would tell me that my automated, calibration settings in comparison to your manual settings are probably not intended to be flat like yours; hence your need to bump your bass level up a bit. But the scan below does say my settings are fairly flat, which contradicts what I just said. So, it's a it of a mystery to me. Natually, our rooms are different and so are the movies to which we are refering. But if this boost gives you the results that you want, I see nothing wrong with your deviation from flat for my own personal purposes. For me, enjoyment is the target I am aiming to hit. Others may tend to disagree and I respect their right to their own opinions. -Glenn

post-10177-13819498664528_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

You can't recreate a movie theater in you home unless your room is the size of a movie theater. Some guys however can create a darn good imitation.

Thanx, Russ

Or if you have movie theater speakers in your home theater ! [;)]

No, what I hear in movie theaters is 30 minutes of coming attractions folowed by:

crackling candy wrappers,

gum popping

intentional cell phone ring tones

crying children,

inane conversations

and that excitable woman who talks to the movie screen,"Don't open that door! Don't you do it! Look out! Oh, I told you not to open that door!"...