OT: anyone selling a '69 Camaro?

st. patrick

Hey, I know it is "slightly" off-topic, but not too dissimiliar from the 1911 post (i would like to buy one of those too), but I thought I would take a flyer and ask if anyone out there has a 1969 Camaro they want to sell. Ideally no serious rust, 4 spd, not overly molested after 40 years, relatively straight body, etc. but willing to consider anything . . . .

My son just one and it is the new project for he and I, but it is his and I feel that yearning. Strangely, unlike my speaker and 2 channel acqusitions, SWMBO has NO objections. Indeed, she said, while completely sober, that his car looks "sexy" and that if I wanted to get one it would be okay with her. . . . . . . . after 31 yrs of marriage I can't remember getting such leeway. . . . . wonder what she is up to ???????????

my email is patrick AT mccarthykroes DOT com

My son just one and it is the new project for he and I, but it is his and I feel that yearning. Strangely, unlike my speaker and 2 channel acqusitions, SWMBO has NO objections. Indeed, she said, while completely sober, that his car looks "sexy" and that if I wanted to get one it would be okay with her. . . . . . . . after 31 yrs of marriage I can't remember getting such leeway. . . . . wonder what she is up to ???????????

Uh oh get ready for something..... [:S]

Bill, thank you for the link; it is the first time i have used searchtempest (but i often thought there ought to be something out there like that). I stayed up to 1am following those items . . . . . . . I feel another obsession coming on . . . . . .

Patrick

Didn't Darrin drive a 69 Camaro on Betwitched? Or was that Major Nelson in I Dream of Jeannie?

I believe it was a 67 SS/RS convertible...man that would be worth some dough today. I personally had 3 differen 68 camaros, loved the look of the 67/68. I think the square-er look of the 69 was a huge step backward. Very ugly IMO.

235.jpg

Bewitched buy the way. I really had a thing for Samantha...but Genie was pretty hot too. I'd love some time shrunk down in her bottle with her.

You're a little far from me but there is actually a dealer near the town I live that specializes (hoardes?) in older vintage autos. I don't know if he's got a 69 camaro (I suspect he's likely to) but I know he's got some SS Chevelles, 57 Chevy's... just a variety of things.

Your distance is an issue but not insurmountable if you find something you like. Oh...most of what I've seen on his lot as I drive by (never stopped) looks to be in EXCELLENT condition.

To tell you the truth, the condition of what I see as I drive by concerns me a bit because it doesn't look like any of them have any body issues and I just don't believe that. (does he slather them with bondo and paint before putting out for view?)

I don't know.

Just found their website. Don't see any 69 Camaro's

http://www.greenesclassiccars.com/index.asp

There is yet another place like this on the road I take to go home. I've been suspecting it's the same people, second lot. I'll try to find out. It' this second location where I've seen the SS Chevelles.

Well dang... just called and the other place is NOT the same. They're called Smokey Mountain Traders

http://www.smokymountaintraders.com/

HA... I see some Camaros!!!

Patrick,

I felt the same way when I started the search................just like Alice and the rabbit hole..............................before I knew it- Id wasted over an hour.............Wow.

Plus deep inside is the old Passion for the year ............Ah High School fun !

Good Luck and try to keep your Obsession (s) in check.

My cousin's son has a '68 for sale...I'm not sure it is much of a "project" car though:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1302185258.html

And it's pretty far away from you.

My quick research found that ad also...............I found that for the Price of an Airplane Ticket, traveling out of CA you can save upwards of 35-40 Thousand dollars compared to what they want in CA...................

I sense a ROAD TRIP coming your way ! Good Luck.

Gentlemen, thank you for the help and comments. Flying is cheap if i can save that much . . . .

Rich, I never noticed the wheel well difference before; I had noticed that the top of the front fenders seemed a bit wider though. I still prefer the '69 overall . . . . . . and a redhead or strawberry blond ain't bad either . . . . . .

Patrick,

Don't listen to the criticism, you are on the right track. Obviously we all have our own tastes, but you are looking for one of the most sought after muscle cars out there, and for good reason. The first gen Camaro ran from 1967 to 1969. The more rounded or 'coke bottle' shaped 67 and 68 have a few differences, the '67 has wing windows on the front of the doors where the 68 does not. The 68 also has side marker lights where the 67 does not. The '69 you are looking for brought in a new more aggressive grill design, and more squared off wheel openings with lines that ran down the body behind the wheel openings on both front and rear openings. Rear tail lights are also different and more agressive for the '69. The '69 Camaro actually ran for a year and a half, and then GM changed the body style in favor of the more European styled 1970 Camaro, starting the 2nd generation. The 1969 Camaro has become the most desirable of all Camaros, and arguably one of the most collectable of all muscle cars because that unique body style only ran for a year and a half. The values in the marketplace reflect that. A 1969 will sell for a premium compared to a 67 or 68, and if the '69 is a RS or SS or Z28 it is only up from there. The epitome of muscle cars is the '69 Z28, basically a factory race car with a 302 rated by GM at 290 HP, but actually made over 425 when pushed from 5,000 to 7,000 RPM, an RPM range this little motor was built for that few motors of that day could operate in without falling apart.

Look at the new 2010 Camaro, and you will see why in GM's quest to bring back this fabled brand, they went straight to the '69 for styling cues that were used both on the exterior and the interior of the car.

Caution: High fraud factor on restored cars being sold as SS or Z28 that left the factory as regular 'plain jane' camaros. Those who rebadge them as something they never were are looking to cash in on the premium prices the originals bring. Badges can be easily bought at restoration shops and installed on any car so read up on the real differences before you pay big money for something just because it has an SS or Z28 badge on it.

The good news for you is that with the down economy prices for these cars are lower now than they were a year ago, pretty much across the board. So, bad news for the seller, but good news for you. A year ago you would pay $30-35,000 for a restored 'plain jane' 1969 Camaro. An SS would go for 40 to 60 large, and a real Z would be upwards of 70 to 100 depending on condition.

I own a 1969 Camaro SS 350 that I purchased in 1979 as the car's 2nd owner. This was my first car at age 16. I loved it then, and I love it now. Just completed a restoration of the car about a year ago. It's fun to drive around and see reactions - one of my favorites was when a CHP (California Highway Patrol) passed me on the freeway and then slowed down to pull up alongside me, and then rolled down his window and started asking me questions about the car as we are moving down the freeway together. Wish I had a picture of that. My 12 year old daughter was with me at the time and still talks about it.

Forte2me,

I got to agree with you, the '69 is the ONE. I am starting to pay attention to the codes to figure out trim packages, as you indicated - seems everyone wants to dress theirs as an SS . . . .

The wife would shoot me if i even floated the price of a Z28 past her . . . . but i do need a 4 spd and a 12 bolt rear.

Ah, the search continues ..

My dad had one, he often lamented allowing my mom to nag him into trading it for a Country Squire Wagon. [8o|] [8o|] [8o|]

Didn't Darrin drive a 69 Camaro on Betwitched? Or was that Major Nelson in I Dream of Jeannie?

I believe it was a 67 SS/RS convertible...man that would be worth some dough today. I personally had 3 differen 68 camaros, loved the look of the 67/68. I think the square-er look of the 69 was a huge step backward. Very ugly IMO.

235.jpg

Bewitched buy the way. I really had a thing for Samantha...but Genie was pretty hot too. I'd love some time shrunk down in her bottle with her.

I would think on this economy that $20,000 would put you into a very nicely restored base model '69. You would be money ahead to go this route rather than pay $8 -12,000 for a project car that will end up costing you alot more than $20,000 by the time you are done with everything. Unless. of course, you want to go through the experience with your son and build the car exactly the way you want to. Tough to put a value on that.

2 resources that that you should lean heavily on right now: www.camaros.org is the first gen Camaro Research Group, or CRG as it is known. Take some time BEFORE you buy in the numbers decode section and learn for yourself how to decode the trim tag, the engine block stampings, the head castings numbers, the tranny and rear end numbers. Then you are an informed buyer, and you will learn first hand how "numbers matching" is the most overused and abused term in the muscle car market. If you wait until after you buy to go there, you will join many who have overpaid thinking they bought an RS, SS or Z28 when they are really buying a base model Camaro that was represented as something it never was.

This only really matters to you if you are going after a rare car. If you love the lines and the car and the base Camaro is what you are after, then the numbers game doesn't really matter. Find one you love and take it home. I only throw that out there so you can be informed and don't get taken advantage of.

The second is www.camaros.net which is the premier first gen site online. Join up and you will be with 43,000 others who love first gen camaros and everything about them. Get on the forum section and you will find answers to any questions you might have from those who have both built these cars themselves as well as purchased them in all stages. Also many like you wanting to get informed and looking to buy one, posting pictures of a car they are looking at and asking the experts what they think it is worth. Every bit as friendly and helpful as these folks here regarding these speakers we all love so much.