DVD Audio recommendations please

I was going to buy an entry level player like the Toshiba SD 4700.

Finances got an unexpected lift this week and I was thinking about spending more than the $ 235 I was quoted for the SD 4700.

The SD 9200 has had pretty good reviews but it may be more than the $ 700 I can budget.

I am prefering to go the DVD A path instead of SACD since I am a huge Neil Young fan and he is solidly in suppor of the DVD A technology.

All recommendations would be apreciated.

I personally would go the way of DVD Audio. I have a Techniques A-10 DVD Audio/Video. There is more and more titles avalible every month. If remixed properly the multi channel sound can be awesome. with all dvd audio disc'c containing a DD sound track this will enable people that want multi channel music recording to by DVD audio disc's and then when the time comes to replace or upgrade you DVD player you can go with a DVD audio machine and look forward to playing all the disc's you bought. It would be like hearing them for the first time again.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Flynn,

Does Neil have anything out on DVD-A? I'm a huge fan myself...

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

Outlaw 1050 AV Receiver

Hello Chuck and Flynn, sorry to stick my nose in here but I was up early cruising the boards.Chuck try this:

Neil Young: Road Rock #1 (DVD-Audio)

Format: DVD (Region 1 & 4)

Retail Price: $24.98 Warner Bros.

Flynn,I like the Toshiba's. The SD 4700 is a good player.If you hunt around you may be able to get an SD 9200 for around 500 to 600 dollars.Some places are closing them out.I have one and it is great for all audio(no SACD) and a fine video player ta boot.DVD-Audio is great. It can be expensive and has a limited amount of titles available.Sure does sound good though.Have a good day guys.

It is hard to tell what Neil will do.

At one time the Buffalo Springfield box set was supposed to have a DVD A; it ended out being issued as CD only.

"Harvest" is supposed to be inprocess of being remastered DVD-A as discussed in an interview with Elliot Mazer in Listener.

Elliot has Co produced or mastered some of Neils music.

As far as the DVD goes...

Does the RP 91 Panasonic have the "Sage/Faroudja" chip so it does not have the Chroma Bug?

I tried to find solid confirmation of that on the web but was unsuccesful.

Some comments I read stated that Toshiba manages the bug better than most. My wife decided(she gets to pick video; I get to pick audio) she liked the Toshiba 36 inch tube HDTV (36HFX71) so I thought I would go for the same company for progressive scan DVD thinking they would be designed for each other to some extent.

The price difference between the SD 9200 and the SD4700 is hard to fathom since they weight only 2 pounds different.

Better off with the Panasonic Rp91 then the Toshiba 9200. The 9200 has the chroma bug and is a bit outdated "chip" wise. The Rp91 will also give you scaling capabilites for your non-anamorphic dvd's which comes in handy if you have a 16x9 HDTV set.

Keep in mind that with any dvd-audio players currently on the market now...you will need a bass manager for the 5.1 outputs. Outlaw ICBM or M & K Mini BMC would work fine for this.

Eric.

------------------

Certifed Legend Maniac :

6 KLF-20 as mains, surrounds, rears!

1 KLF-C7 center!

All powered by Denon AVR-5700 (soon to be updated to Aragon Stage 1 or Denon AVR 4802)

HDTV Toshiba 56H80

Dual Subs 12" Velodyne & 15" Earthquake

Sony DVP-NC650v SACD/DvD changer

Toshiba SD-6200 Prog Scan DVD player

DVDO IScan Pro

2 LaserDisc players

Toshiba HiFi VCR

Marantz Pronto Universal Remote

Please Visit My Website : http//hometown.aol.com/erickalet6/home.html

If you go to kencrane.com or dvdplanet you can get dvd audio discs for 18.50 or pre order new releases for 17.50. And of all places Best Buy has a pretty good selection of both dvd audio and dts audio disc.

I love my Techniques A-10 DVD Audio/video machine. retail was 1200.00 when it was introduced last year. I bought it last May for 600.00.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Scooterdog- I'm interested in finding out more about your dvd player. I've searched using the various ways you've spelled it, but so far, no luck. Is it a TECHNICS product? Where did you pick it up? Thanks.

fini

edit-Ahh, probably Technics AV-10!

edit2-Or, DVD-A10:

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?300

This message has been edited by fini on 03-03-2002 at 07:44 AM

Soundog, as I recall you use the Perpetual Technologies upsampling system to get better performances from your CD's.

Take a look at Fini's link to the Stereophile website on the subject... it sounds to me like the Technics DVD-A10 is all about building a Perpetual Technologies approach into a DVD player.

What's your take, Soundog?

Oh, and fini, thanks for another great url insight.

HornEd... Klipsching his way back to tubular beginnings.

PS: BTW, it seems that I have acquired a local enemy... I left my motorhome on the street overnight preparing for a Klipsch embellished photo jaunt... only to have the 590 hp Chrysler engine stop cold in the middle of the first intersection. After an expensive "BigRig" tow... my mechanic found that some low life had disconnected both fuel lines and rolled them up underneath my rig. I guess my decision to leave the old neighborhood has come at the right time!

HornEd-Sorry to hear about your misfortune concerning the Klpschmobile. There are more RV-friendly cities than SF. Might I suggest beautiful Sonoma County? Think of the fun we could have, you, me, Clipped & Shorn, mdeneen, your Mom, my Mom...yipee!

fini

p.s. I noticed you were up early today, too. My back wouldn't let me sleep past 2:30. Has something to do with those virtually non-existent discs down there around L4 and L5...

This message has been edited by fini on 03-03-2002 at 09:33 AM

Based upon Mike and John having success with the Panasonic RP 91, I took a longer look. Read allot of reviews.

I think it has the Gensies chip but Panasonic has worked out the Chroma Bug issue through design somehow. I do not beleive they have implemented the Sage chip in this model.

Then the RP 91 received a class 3 recommendation from "The Perfect Vision" in the issue I received on Saturday in the mail.

I will order it tommorrow from my favorite mom and pop appliance store.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts!

Rick

For fini or anyone else, the Technics DVD player can be found at www.vanns.com .They only sell it with a Technics receiver though,it appears.I don't know anything about it.Was searching for info on that receiver last year and bought one from U-Bid for $157 delivered.Decent reciver for a few bucks.Hope this helps.

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 03-06-2002 at 03:37 AM