EV DX38 bypass compression?

greg928gts

I've set up my EV DX38 and a couple of amplifiers in my living room to test some speakers and I'm hand programming. I'm not able to bypass the compression, the master delay, the input delay, or the limiter on each output. It seems that I don't have a choice, I'm always going to have a minimum amount of delay, a minimum amount of compression, and a miminum amount of limiter. I don't want any of these things.

Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass these? I see nothing mentioned in the manual.

Greg

Greg, I'm just speculating...

If you have the RACE program and can connect your Dx to your PC, when you open a file and go to the configuration page, you can select "standard" mode or "full edit".

I'd venture to say you are not in full edit mode and you don't have full access to your unit.

I've never seen this configuation option while inside the Dx, only while in the software.

Page 8-12 of the DX38 manual shows the minimum compression ratio to be 1:1, so that is how to bypass the compressor.

Page 8-6 shows the minimum Master Delay to be 2ms. This is probably hardware-related, meaning that it is the fundamental delay for a signal to pass through the electronics themselves. As long as the delay is identical in all channels, it is not a problem.

Page 8-11 shows the minimum Channel Delay to be 0ms. That is how to bypass the Channel Delay.

Page 8-13 shows the maximum Limiter threshold to be 8.7V. Page 10-1 indicates that the maximum output voltage is rated at 8.7V, so the maximum Limiter threshold corresponds to the maximum output level, and you can effectively bypass the limiter by using the maximum.

Greg

Thanks for the info Greg, I'll tweak those settings. Actually, I think I did that already, I'll have to check. I was hoping to do a complete bypass, which by my way of thinking means get the hell out of the way of my signal coming through, you are not needed for this exercise.

Something just doesn't sit well with me knowing that all those parameters are still idling there while my signal is passing through.

Greg

Something just doesn't sit well with me knowing that all those parameters are still idling there while my signal is passing through.

Greg

Well, if they're still using the software that I wrote for them (and I have no way of knowing whether they are or aren't), then with the settings that I described all processing is truly bypassed. It's different with digital signal processors than with analog signal processors. For example, in the compressor/limiter software there is probably a code statement that says something to the effect of, "If the signal level is below the threshold, then skip the dynamics processing code entirely," or, equivalently, "If the signal level is below the threshold, then multiply the signal by exactly 1.0." That's how I implemented dynamics processing when I worked for EV, but as I said I have no way to know if they're still using my stuff.

(a different) Greg

Greg

Well, if they're still using the software that I wrote for them (and I have no way of knowing whether they are or aren't), then with the settings that I described all processing is truly bypassed. It's different with digital signal processors than with analog signal processors. For example, in the compressor/limiter software there is probably a code statement that says something to the effect of, "If the signal level is below the threshold, then skip the dynamics processing code entirely," or, equivalently, "If the signal level is below the threshold, then multiply the signal by exactly 1.0." That's how I implemented dynamics processing when I worked for EV, but as I said I have no way to know if they're still using my stuff.

(a different) Greg

I feel so much better now, knowing that my signal will be manipulated less. [;)]

(still the same) Greg

• Moderators

feel so much better now, knowing that my signal will be manipulated less.

I know the feeling, I have been married 31 years and my signal gets manipulated alot, I say one thing and somehow it's manipulated and I am wrong every time ! [;)]

Mike, I sure don't know the answer to your question but...I'd speculate about this...

Even if you have a digital out from your CD player, won't it be converted back to analog by the time it leaves the preamp? If so (regardless of where in the food chain it reverts back to analog), then the Dx is accepting an analog signal as its input, fair?

If it's accepting an analog signal as its input and converting it back to digital.... don't programs that do that, have some kind of comparison algorithym that says "we have a shape of an input signal... we have added "X" to the signal during our processing and that means the OUTPUT signal should be clearly known as "input signal + changes" and anything different from that we either need to correct or ignore"

??

I have a question... The sampling rate, bits (24) seem to be less than some cd players / DAC's for computer out put. How does this effect the sound ...?...Are the higher end players and DAC's a waste of money using this unit ? It being just before the amps. Or am I completely wrong in my thinking

The Dx38 sampling rate is 48 KHz/channel, but its resolution is 24 bits/channel.

Richard (Coytee) is correct in saying that the Dx38 accepts analog inputs and produces analog outputs. So you can think of it as a good, reconfigurable crossover network, except that it does more than a passive crossover does - like it can correct for driver delays introduced by path length differences (usually the bass drivers, but it can be any driver) and speaker room placement delays, can compress or expand the source signal.

Chris

Tommy's fixed too (i.e., our breeder's requirement). It's probably good that he is fixed because the Vet obviously forgot to tell the dog.

Does she like to throw racketballs?

Chris

I have a question... The sampling rate, bits (24) seem to be less than some cd players / DAC's for computer out put. How does this effect the sound ...?...Are the higher end players and DAC's a waste of money using this unit ? It being just before the amps. Or am I completely wrong in my thinking

The Dx38 sampling rate is 48 KHz/channel, but its resolution is 24 bits/channel.

Richard (Coytee) is correct in saying that the Dx38 accepts analog inputs and produces analog outputs. So you can think of it as a good, reconfigurable crossover network, except that it does more than a passive crossover does - like it can correct for driver delays introduced by path length differences (usually the bass drivers, but it can be any driver) and speaker room placement delays, can compress or expand the source signal.

Chris

I understand the workings... analog in analog out... but the sample rate has an effect on the sound. Or else they would not sell many high end CD's or DAC's or have lossless formats like flac for converting analog to digital so I guess my question is at what point will you hear a difference ?

When you sample something you do just that... sample.... pieces are missing. How many can you miss without hearing a difference.