Plasma tv with cracked panel , any value ?

sunburnwilly

My first 60" Pioneer Kuro arrived last October d.o.a. , panel had been cracked during shipping .Posted ImageTook a month of jumping through hoops but I received a new one last November and after an inspection by the shipping company the tv was left in my possession . Is replacing the panel in the tv even an option ? How about scavenging the internal parts in case something other than the panel on the working tv goes out ? Posted Image I have been toying with the idea of turning the broken tv into a coffee table .

I'd keep it for parts personally, of course I tend to hoard things so you probably shouldn't take my advice. The other thing I might do with it is take it apart. I can't help myself, I love taking things apart to see what's inside. It's another little "issue" I have.

i'd be getting estimates and getting it fixed if possible. one phone call would give you the answer you need to know. how lucky can you get if its fixable.

I am awaiting a call back from one of the local authorized Pioneer service shops with an estimate . The lady I talked to seemed to believe it was fixable but had to check . That was an hour ago . Ha , my luck she'll call back and quote me $3,750. which is what it cost , lol .

I would keep it for parts if nothing else, if it works maby use it somewhere else?

If it turns out to be fixable at a reasonable price a new 60" plasma for the bedroom is an option , selling it would be another . I have heard that once the panel is cracked on a plasma set they are toast so I'm not expecting a happy outcome . I think that turning it into a coffee table , one that matches my tv , is a neat idea but that would be one heavy piece . I'm guessing in the 250lbs+ range and would likely be a shin buster .

Still no word , service rep has emailed Pioneer but no response as of yet . Man if it comes in at $2k or under I'm going to jump on it . Once Pioneer sells the units they have these tv's are gone . I may just be daydreaming a bit but what are the chances of upgrading the internals and turning it into an Elite ? It's the same panel .

• 7 months later...

The other thing I might do with it is take it apart. I can't help myself, I love taking things apart to see what's inside. It's another little "issue" I have.

My kinda guy!

Not much that intimidates me on taking something apart. I would have been a world class surgeon.

Putting it back together however, might be an issue for me. Probably a good reason I didn't go to medical school [:P]