Picture needed

jhoak

I'm in the process of rebuilding and refinishing a pair of 78 La Scalas. As such I'll be nuking the original labels.

What I'm looking for is a really good .jpg or .gif of a La Scala label that I can edit a pair them with the original serial numbers and apply to the backs of my newly rebuilt La Scalas.

Yes I know it's really "petty" but should I ever choose to sell them at some point (doubtful) I'd like them to have as much original provenance as possible.

THANX!

Best thing to do is photo the originals and print them out and if you really want to attach a copy of the photos. "Making" your own will not really help the "provenance", per se. But having the photos of the originals (and photos of the refinishing, etc.) is good voodoo for establishing provenance for a prospective future buyer.

Best thing to do is photo the originals and print them out and if you really want to attach a copy of the photos. "Making" your own will not really help the "provenance", per se. But having the photos of the originals (and photos of the refinishing, etc.) is good voodoo for establishing provenance for a prospective future buyer.

There's a new one "provenance". Is that the word of the day?

Jhoak,

When I am doing a refurb, I remove the old labels with a razor blade and heat gun. I scan them into the computer and restore them. I print the edited version onto glossy adhesive backed paper and trim to size. You would never know they were not brand new factory labels.

Just my .02

I considered a like method. Of the two one is very faded but still sort of readable and the other is nothing more than a totally white rectangle on the back of the cabinet.

Since the "stamped" serial numbers match I was hoping for a really good image that I could "doctor" to look like original labels.

All of that said I've now basically given up on trying to reproduce the labels. Assuming I at some point try to sell them (doubtful) I'll simply direct the buyers attention to the stamped serial numbers. If a potential buyer is THAT hung up on labels... well he can just look elsewhere. Like my "audio mentor" said to me many many years ago... "Trust your ears. Buy the stuff that your ears like. When it's all said and done it's YOU that has to live with and listen to whatever you buy".

Oh well... It was perhaps a good idea... It certainly wouldn't be the first "good idea" I've had that turned out to be a not so good idea. ;)

Don't give up so easy amigo, it's not that difficult. If you only have one halfway decent label, use it to create the two new ones. You should only have to change one number in the serial. You are going to bring the rest back to life with whatever editing program you are using.

In your other thread on veneering you said you suffered from OCD. If you are not willing to spend 2 to 3 days on a set of labels for the perfect restore like I did on my last set of labels for some '67 Khorns, brother, you don't even qualify as OC. [;)]

How can you live in Mount Dora the antiques capitol of the known world and NOT know the word provenance? Big Smile

Mount Dora, immortalized in probably the worst movie ever made, "Honky Tonk Bypass", featuring a great cast AND a water-skiing elephant!

It's just that I've never seen the word used in this or any other forum. Kudos...William F. Buckley lives!

Good Luck with your project!

Herb

You are correct, my memory wanes and my copy was stolen! I pity the fool that got that one. John Schlesinger's offering to bookend Midnight Cowboy! What a waste of the talents of Jessica Tandy, Hume Cronyn, William Devane, Beau Bridges (although I think it may have prepared him to play Earl's father), et al.

How are you coming on your project? I just finished morphing a cannabilized pair of Cornwall's into Cornscalas. Still trying to get the right sound out them, but that's the fun of this whole obsession isn't it?

Good Luck!

Herb