Got a Ampex ATR-700 reel to reel today

JL Sargent

Some of you might remember this thread: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/124150/1254870.aspx#1254870

Where I was looking at a reel to reel machine that ended up being 4 track. Well I bought the Ampex today off Craigslist for cheap and it seems like a real nice machine. I know it does 7 1/2 and 15 ips on tape speed. Its a 2 track 2 channel machine. Looks like all the prerecorded tapes are 1/4 track? Sounded real good at the guys house where I bought it. Tape counter is the only problem? It does't work, but I did get the operation/service manual! So maybe I can get it going.

Anybody know anything about this machine?

Thanks for the offer Groomlake but no need for it I suspect. After much study, I have decided that I will record one album with this machine at 15ips. for a quality test. If it performs well then more recordings may follow. If it performs poorly I will probably pass it on. Thought I might find a nice Jazz tape on Ebay at 15ips but nar a one did I find. The guys at www.tapeproject.com are recording suitable material for it but unfortunately those are out of my price range. In the end I suspect what we really have here is another audio hole to pour money into.

Kevin Kaas in St. Petersburg, FL is a good place to start.

Small world Groomy...Kevin has rebuilt both of my Teacs.

JL...I think Thebes had an Ampex project about a year ago...think his was a tubed deck. May want to check with him.

As for tapes...I have bought a lot of new Maxell and TDK off ebay.

Why not try recording an LP or CD at 15 ips and play it back?