Which Klipsch Speaker is the Best for.....

MikeW

Kinda depends on what your budget / room layout is. The easy answer if you have available corners and a large budget is KHorns - they will do everything - but I am guessing your question wants a more limited budget answer.

My vote for the best compromise speaker at a very reasonable price would have to go for the RF3. Plenty of Bass, masses of volume and a fair degree of detail and soundstaging for 2 channel - even for major orchestral works. It is also a great match with the Klipsch subs / centre channels and so on making it an ideal basis for building up a decent home theatre.

Actually it has enough bass to get away without a sub, and sufficent staging and imaging to allow you to manage without a center channel if you re in the sweet spot.

As I write this I am wondering why I do not own a pair....oh yes...I have Heresy's - phew!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (DECWARE ZTPRE with separate beefed up PSU)

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones (on loan to a friend)

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

MikeW,

maxg made some very valid points. If you were to check out threads in the "Home Theater" and "2 Channel" Forums, you would see similar speakers being used for music and HT. That's one of the joys of owning Klipsch Speakers, they're very versatile. If you think about, movie tracks are primarily music and dialogue.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-05-2002 at 08:33 AM

The venerable Klipschorn has become one of the most successful and enduring applications of horn technology. A result of some of the best engineering minds of the time, this technology was developed in the 40s and 50s for movie theaters. The components in the designs developed for smaller theaters were then translated into speakers for the home. Since recordings were in monaural, only one speaker was needed and, thus, their large size and bulk was not as critical a factor as it is today in multi-channel home theater applications.

Never-the-less these old horns, designed for theaters, make for very good home theater today. But there are problems. Their size and bulk do not lend themselves to decorator applications and, thus, require dedicated rooms. Todays surround sound was designed for elevated surround and rear speakers. Ever try to hang a LaScala on the wall?

Also the Heritage speakers were very focused and thus directional; were surrounds usually work best with a more diffuse effect. However, with determination they can make one spectacular home theater with the added benefit of full range capabilities for SACD and DVDA multi-channel music. I recently acquired two Heresys for use as rear channels (elevated on sand-filled Lovan stands) and have my LaScalas stacked and angled for a more diffuse side surround effect.My center channel uses LaScala components but with Altec 511B horns driven by K55Vs in an enclosure/TV stand I constructed.

I am now using my LH10s wired using their line level inputs one for each Khorn and set to a 40 Hz crossover as Ray Garrison suggested (He was right my first attempt had them hooked up wrong). For non-musical movies I flip on my KSW-15 which is in the center of the room and supplies jarring and house-shaking LFEs.

This brings us to the role of sub woofers in the modern Home Theater which allows for smaller speakers for center, surrounds and rear. Easily placed and mounted, they are more suited to decorator applications and space limitation considerations. So the answer to your question is depends. The newer speakers were designed for home theater and music and certainly the Klipch reference series does very well in this regard with the least effort. The Heritage speakers are, however, better on music reproduction but require a good deal of effort (not the least of which is obtaining them) to apply to a home theater application.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Thanks for the replies. I do own the RF 3's and I can't complain. For now RF 3's make an excellent introductory system into Klipsch and a great start to a 50/50 Music/HT.

The reason I asked the above three questions was to give me something to ASPIRE too. I would love to have a two room system: The Listening Lounge and Home Theatre, similiar than that of HornEds', who wouldn't.

I'm a bargain shopper and having a list of speakers that Forum Users recommend will of great help to me and maybe others. There might also be Klipsch speaker out there that I should stay clear from.

Does anyone need snow....sure have alot up here in Edmonton!!?

MikeW

We'd love the snow out here. This is going down as the warmest winter on record for us. We basically have had no snow (or rain for that matter) this year. THe area's drinking water supply is 11 feet lower than normal with no relief in sight.

To get back on topic, I think the Heritage line is the way to go if you have an unlimited budget and space.

Soundog, the description of what you have done with the LaScala surrounds and custom center cabinetry for a LaScala oriented custom center is most intriguing... and creates questions that a few photos may intrinsically answer.

The strategic placement of Heritage and Legend speakers in relation to one's ear height while seated without entirely losing the benefit of large bass enhancing surfaces (like the floor or ceiling) has been an area that Q-man and I have been exploring for some time separately... and now together via email since we both have the ability to reconfigure our listening spaces to accommodate good sound.

Clearly, the discrete vs. diffuse factor varies widely from sound source to sound source... and is probably an area of greatest compromise for most multi-channel dual purpose systems. So, some extra details of how you applied your ingenuity to that challenge with LaScalas would be most interesting.

Each time I see your avatar I am reminded of the downfall of so many I have known who have become statistics on pages that reflect the effects of drugs, alcohol, drive-by shootings... and the tombstones that mark the person but not the AIDS that put them there. And I also recall the 14 year-old boy in Spanish Harlem who was fascinated with photos and movies I had taken on an extended European trip... and changed his direction from street kid to a student at the special school that made "FAME" famous. He went on to Emmy nominations in Public Television and has now been a Hollywood fixture for many years.

Such stories are not easy to come by... and so I have a high regard for those battling on the front lines who can keep their focus on truly creating a workable opportunity for their clients... and their LaScalas! cwm9.gif HornEd

The best speakers for home theater are the ones that sound best with music. Recreating the subtleties of music is far more difficult than recreating the bland signal of TV or cable. Pick the speakers that sound best with music and then use them for your home theater. If you want the 5-channel sound effects, then add the center speaker and two smaller rear speakers. The biggest difference between HT and music systems is the quality of the sound, not the quantity.

As a two channel guy, I can't say that the multi-channel sound has enticed me so much that I just have to add more speakers, besides I do not have the budget or the room. Instead, really good two-channel sound - with the TV signal run through the stereo - is much better than piddly five-channel systems. The bass really makes a difference on HT systems. You need a good sub-woofer. In fact, if you can tolerate the internal speakers on large TVs, all you really need to add is a powered sub-woofer. To make a very simple HT, just add a good sub-woofer to the speaker outputs on the TV. This will give 80 -90% of the thrill of home theater without the cost. The next step up is to run the video/cable signal through your stereo system. This will give you better mid-range and stereo affect.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Ed-

I have the LaScalas stacked and positioned to the side and slightly to the rear of the main seating position. The bottom ones are on lockable rollers. I rotated the top ones slightly towards the front; the bottom ones more to the center until I arrived at the best angles and positions. Since there are mids and tweeters top and bottom they center midway which seems about right. I have the RS3s in my other system about 7 feet high i and I'm thinking that might be to high. They should be alongside or slightly to the rear (the latter is ideal for multi-channel SACD) and above ear level but how much above ear level I think depends on the posiitoning of mains and center and I bet depends on room characteristics. Like sub placement I think the answer is to experiment, experiment, experiment. Remember in movie theaters the surround speakers tend to be on the small side and have to be diffuse because of the many rows of seats. Movies are made with this in mind. However SACD and DVDA multichannel is calling for full range speakers all around. Looks like some compromising is inevitable.

At one point I was thinking of extending the top section of the LaScalas upward to move both mid and tweeter higher but they would still be quite directional. The above seems to be a better way to go.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 03-06-2002 at 08:22 PM

Keith---I dunno, I'm kinda with Colin on this one. I've been fiddling with surround sound for a long time, from when it was just Dolby Surround, and I'm pretty bored with the whole thing. You can do really well with just one speaker if it's really good, an Altec VOT or a LaScala say. Does it matter that The Sea Hawk, Angels With Dirty Faces and Going My Way aren't in bombastic multi-channel sound? I'd rather hear Bing Crosby sing in mono than hear Bruce Willis blow stuff up in surround. Ahhh, I reckon I'm just an old fart. :-)

no, I guess I can say I haven't heard much from a multi-channel HT set-up, except that there are several stores down here in the land of millionaires that specialize in $25 to $500K hometheater rooms, but they usually have more quantity than quality, I have to admit that the Martin Logan Statements do make good front speakers when matched with M-L speakers for the sides and rears, but their sub-woofer columns were not as amazing as the Krell Master Reference sub chest ....

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Surround is fun for action movies .... I really like live concerts in surround ... the energy of the audience is infectious .... but then when I was a teenager I had one of the first stereo tape decks and the first stereo records (before a stereo cartridge was available) ... my friends and I entertained ourselves by looking at the groves through a microscope ... back then I had planes and trains crossing the room ... now I have them circling the room! Progress!

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

I'll stick to the two Klipsch speakers that I own, the Heresy and the RP-3.

The RP-3 wins in these categories:

-Balanced sound from 20khz to sub 30hz, no one frequency range outshining the other.

-Point source like directivity..the right channel is on the right, left on the left..blends well in the middle.

-More accurate in reproducing delicate quiet high notes than the Heresy.

- Great speaker for both music and home theater.

The Heresy wins in these categories:

- LOUD. It can be loud with very little power. (efficient)

- Dispersion of sound. The sound eminating from the speaker creates a wave of sound that is very distinct in its breadth of coverage of the room. Very even, very concentrated wide soundfield (much different from a point source)

- quiet notes and electronics noise alike are easily heard on this speaker.

- Sound eminating from this speaker has a much stronger sounding reflection from side and back walls than other speakers (except possibly other exponential horn speakers).

- Ability to reproduce dynamics. Soft & quiet IS soft & quiet. Loud is very loud.

- best used for music.

Of the two, I enjoy the RP-3 most, but I fire-up the Heresy enough to know that they can still amaze me.

I remember being impressed by the Klipsch Quartet (and I think the Chorus too). I will never forget my two encounters with Klipschorns (I can still feel that slam of the bass hitting my chest). I've heard the Belle Klipsches, but have no memory of any impression about it. I remember wishing my Heresy's had the bass of a Cornwall. I remember being mildly impressed with the bass offered by the KG2. The Forte 1 was cheap in my opinion, but had better bass than my Heresys.

The RF-3, 5,&7 I am disappointed in. The RB3&5 are impressive for their size and price. I didn't like the sound from the Legend line or the Synergy line when I bought my RP-3s.

That's my take.

TBrennan,I'm quite certain I could match you're and Colins spin on the subject, but why would I want to? I'm happy that you guys are happy with whatever you're happy with. Just don't expect me to denigrate whatever it is that you're happy with.

Keith