The Bung Report

thebes

A while back a fellow forum lad stepped forth with what potential minor tweak which, by it's very name alone, caught my attention. Yes folks, pure French imported synthetic bungs, recently decanted from various vintages out west in wine country.

Here's the thread:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/122711.aspx

I immediately ordered up four of them to try out on some turntables., namely an Ariston RS suspended table using a Rega 300 arm, Ortofon OM 40 mm cart and an Empire 398 with an Ortofon Rs212 arm, Zu/Denon 103 mc cart and cables by Fini.

I was hoping that the bungs would prove useful in isolating the suspended Ariston, which suffers from footfalls, not being isolated form the floor. Sad to say, if anything the bungs made the situation worse, with no corresponding difference in sound.

On the Empire, however, things were different. Already well isolated so not a factor int that area, they did indeed improve the sound, providing a more rounded presentation. One caveat. This improvement could be a result of the Empire's plinth being a sort of "sound box" for lack of a better term. The bungs elevating this box higher than the standard feet may be solely responsible for that aspect of the improved presentation.

Whatever, I like the difference and the bungs (in use for about 6 weeks now) are staying with the Empire.

And that my friends, is the whole story about the bungs.

TP for my bunghole?

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think. From nuanced into potty in one thread. To think circus midgets were involved in bringing this report to fruition. One can only surmise what they must be thinking.

And what kind of sound do they really make when dropped?

BUNG-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G

Well I could turn them into cute little critters, complete with cute smiley faces, and high pitched dialogue along the lines of "Oh, Thebes, spare me! Whatever you do please don't drop me in front of that bus, train etc." I could even take pictures outlining their fate, sorta like those rubber ducky thingies.

But I r the Thebes and that would be too easy. After all, when all is said and done, a bung knows it's fate. It's destiny is predetermined. Whatever we may wish, we all secretly in our heart of hearts know what;s in store for it. It is a bung after all and it will someday end up in a ....

After all, when all is said and done, a bung knows it's fate. It's destiny is predetermined. Whatever we may wish, we all secretly in our heart of hearts know what;s in store for it. It is a bung after all and it will someday end up in a ....

For I am "Bungholio"......king of all bungholes.