OT: Arkansas put cheese dip on the map!

Daddy Dee

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=92453

Foodies will find this interesting. As one raised in Little Rock on Mexico Chiquito cheese dip and home made Rotel dip this was most interesting. Rotel was a staple at our house, school and youth group parties.

Moved to Atlanta in 1977 and found that only one grocery store in the whole town carried Rotel. When I went back to Atlanta in 1987 Tex-Mex had become popular and Rotel was in all the stores.

Looks like an excellent recipe to be found on this link, too.

post-11993-13819511876702_thumb.jpg

Dee,

Did you eat at the original Mexico Chiquito in Rose City? I remember eating there in the early '60s. The dessert was always a cube of sherbet--yummy.

Lee

Yes, indeed! Some of my earliest memories eating out with my family are at that very place. I was thinking about those sherbet cubes just the other day. What a great follow on for those "Mexican" dinners!

I was too young to have acquired a taste for salsa, but loved the cheese dip. My dad (who ate the salsa on chips with gusto) would tell me the devil drank it for breakfast. I would take the challenge every time, but more than a bit on a chip was beyond my tolerance. I could drink the stuff now.

Remember Take-A-Taco next door for carry out?

I've heard there are some good Mexico Chiquito cheese dip recipes on the internet. Never have gotten around to making it, though.

Last year I picked up some MC dip and chips at the West Markham location. It really brought back the memories. There is another one on Cantrell west of I-430.

Dee,

Yeah, I remember Take-A-Taco but I don't think we ever got anything "to go".

If you didn't want to make the (then) long drive to MC, there was Browning's El Patio off University Avenue which back then was a gravel road and called Hayes Street. Our favorite order there was the "Summer Plate" but I couldn't tell you what was served.

For the best burgers, you couldn't beat a Number 2 Wes Hall's Minute Man hamburger grilled on an open flame and apple pie heated in the futuristic-looking Amana Radarange.

Lee

Lee,

I can remember my mom ordering the summer plate. I don't know what was on it either. I guess guacamole, sliced tomatoes and such, maybe with a taco.

heh, yeh. Minute Man burgers were great. I grew up three blocks from the one on JFK Blvd in Park Hill. Thought the indoor charcoal grill was awesome and no one really had no clue how big the "radar range" would become. That deep dish cobbler, cherry was my fav. was hot as heck when they brought it to the table. Great shakes, too.

Too young to rememberRose City. My earliest remembrance is Casa Bonita.

great memories at Casa Bonita. The festive ambience reminded me of Six Flags. Loved the strolling musicians and running up the flag for seconds!

It was a great place for a date, once I turned 16. Many a movie followed at the Cinema 150!

That was one of my first experiences of a win-win situation. Dad got the Fury III waxed and detailed and I got to drive it on a date.