Reference Vs. Synergy Vs. Icon Series

Jakeg123

Hey everyone!

I am kinda new to Klipsch and I could use some help.

What are the differences between the Reference, Synergy, and Icon Series?

Which is suppose to be the "higher class" series?

Is one suppose to be better than the other?

Are the horns or the woofers different?

Thanks,

Jake

• Moderators

Icon was made to help with WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). They look stylish, elegant and have a smaller footprint than the Synergy and Reference Line. If you can, go with the Reference Series. But as stated, all of them provide great sound.

they serve different purposes. all sound great in their own respective purpose ... synergy is more of the entry level, mass-market (i.e. best buy) product offering that suits most of the people out there that wish to just setup a nice quick system and not have to worry about it.

icon series has a higher aesthetic value and gives you that great home theater sound without feeling like you're surrounded by a ton of speakers.

the reference level is geared towards those that don't care as much about size aesthetics (but may still want rich veneering,etc) higher volume performance and efficiency, and a healthy blend of both music and movie use.

heritage is a step above them all, but comes at the cost of biggg boxes and less pleasing aesthetics ...it's all about the sound and the music.

palladium is a mix of everything, but may not be enjoyed by mortals.

i haven't listened to everything discussed here, but based on my reading and interpretations ..these opinions are relatively accurate. we might be able to answer your question better if you can give a hint as to which quality is more important ..sound? size? aesthetics? wife/girlfriend opinion?

they serve different purposes. all sound great in their own respective purpose ... synergy is more of the entry level, mass-market (i.e. best buy) product offering that suits most of the people out there that wish to just setup a nice quick system and not have to worry about it.

icon series has a higher aesthetic value and gives you that great home theater sound without feeling like you're surrounded by a ton of speakers.

the reference level is geared towards those that don't care as much about size aesthetics (but may still want rich veneering,etc) higher volume performance and efficiency, and a healthy blend of both music and movie use.

heritage is a step above them all, but comes at the cost of biggg boxes and less pleasing aesthetics ...it's all about the sound and the music.

palladium is a mix of everything, but may not be enjoyed by mortals.

i haven't listened to everything discussed here, but based on my reading and interpretations ..these opinions are relatively accurate. we might be able to answer your question better if you can give a hint as to which quality is more important ..sound? size? aesthetics? wife/girlfriend opinion?

Sound quality is what is the most important to me, but I am on a very low budget. I will be using it for mostly music and maybe a movie once a week. I don't really care all that much for size and aesthetics. I will most likely have to buy a speaker every few months and eventually have a full system. Right now I have a pair of old SF-1s.

and craigslist. my current setup has been sourced from both places (except for the ps3, bought that refurb'd from gamestop). you might also look around at stuff you already own that doesn't mean as much or get as much use as it once had. you'd be surprised at what people are willing to trade for and how perceived value for your things can help you get some good gear at little or no cost to you. (I traded an older laptop that wasn't being used for my receiver that now gets daily use.)

heritage is a step above them all

Which IS subjective however.Wink

Oh i agree Carl. SInce I've never heard anything from the heritage line (gasp, blasphemy), I'm forced to echo the popular opinion found on this forum. I personally love the reference series and it seems to hit a nice balance between sound, size, and aesthetics.

Sound quality is what is the most important to me, but I am on a very low budget.

Then the Garage Sale section of the forum is your friend (or Craiglist).

Would I really be better off getting something used or would I be okay just getting the cheaper synergy series?

• Moderators

Would I really be better off getting something used or would I be okay just getting the cheaper synergy series?

I love buying used gear. With the economy like it is, there are some crazy deals out there. I've picked up many myself.

the interpretation of "good" sound is subjective and indivdiual to each person. The best thing you can do is go out and listen to them at the store. Given thus far have been guidelines as to the quality and purpose of each line. Now, one thing that wasnt mentions is that there are different levels of the icon line, there is the best buy brand which is cheap but there is also the W and X lines as well. From what i have gathered, the refernece line is made with higher quality overall compared to the synergy series. Now, i dont know how this pairs up to the Icon W and X lines since they seem to be geared for different target markets but no matter what, you need to get what you think sounds best. Personally, i though the Icon W line had a wide sound field compared to the reference line but couldnt produce the bass footprint that the reference line could create, floorstanders that is. For me, my biggest choice is between the ref and Icon w lines.