New to the forum and asking the same newbie questions ...... maybe

Ocnorb

I have some Kg2s powered by a HK430 and some vintage heresys powered by a Kenwood KR9600,,

both doing vinyl with a Dennon DP45F with an Audio Technica AT125LC cartridge

they both sound excellent..... but what would be a best first upgrade to either system

I am thinkng of getting some cornwalls so that is an issue as well

thanks for any and all guidance

Jim

Best upgrade would be to get the Cornwalls .

Watch out though if you get the Cornwalls. There is a strange ailment called big-itis going around. Starts out with Heresies or KG's, then Cornwalls. Then it's: if Cornwalls sound so much better, I wonder how great K-horns would sound. Pretty soon you'll be living in a tent in the desert with a stack of Klipsch Professional Speakers 8 feet tall and 20 feet wide.

subwoofer!

CDs have “musical” things happening below 40 Hz, no matter what the subject matter! Using the Real Time Analyzer in the Behringer DEQ2496 UltraCurve Pro, let me tell you, even the human voice has harmonics that extend below 40Hz.

Rock/population music certainly does get below 40Hz, unless there is no kick drum, bass guitar or piano! I think 40Hz is the low string on the bass guitar, which means there certainly are harmonics lower than the initial 40Hz note. The kick drum makes a 30Hz note and can reach momentary peaks of 120dB! That alone should indicate the deep for very big, very deep and very powerful sub-woofers to sufficiently replicate the music. 

Watch out though if you get the Cornwalls. There is a strange ailment called big-itis going around. Starts out with Heresies or KG's, then Cornwalls. Then it's: if Cornwalls sound so much better, I wonder how great K-horns would sound. Pretty soon you'll be living in a tent in the desert with a stack of Klipsch Professional Speakers 8 feet tall and 20 feet wide.

Sheik Abdullah bin Klipsch says: "If it can be carried by the camels and set up by the houris in the harem, Allah willing, then it will be good!!!"

Honestly the biggest upgrade you could make to what you have currently would be(potentialy) the least expensive.

I agree HK + Heresy's is a great match.

Your turntable, along with the somewhat unique dynamic servo, tonarm, is responsible for some of the best playback I have had the joy of hearing and using, which is tall praise coming from a Technics fan boy.

I would either invest in a Denon 103 cart/stylus or higher if you can afford or a Shure V 15 III or IV. Both of these love that table, the Shure on there, tracks the Telarc 1812, which is no small feat.

I have a multitude of different cart/styli, mounted onspare headshells for that deck, and while I have found it tricky to get the counterbalance just right(no indicator and arm doesn't allow for traditional scale), figure out the anti-skate & dampening, once dialed in, it is a amazing turntable.

However, NOS V15 styli use a material that is degrading as we speak, so careful research or a private message to me is required to source a 3rd party that matches original specs.

Yes, I am a vinyl guy through and through, but that Audio Technica, while not horrible by any means, is the weak link and the easiest upgrade, with the biggest improvement, IMHO.

• Moderators

It's very true, really addictive, want big sound get big speakers it's that simple.

Klipsch Professional, anything less is just .........less. [:P]

Although they do require the large size Camel to move them and if your married that may also change or she would expect at least an appointment to have your head examined. I don't have these problems my wife likes this stuff as much as me, that explains the few thousand pounds of speakers. [:S]

I guess this one is fairly easy.

For about $450-650 you can get a set of Cornwalls (don't worry if they are originals or the 2's). Big improvement for fairly little money, and much more dramatic then swapping sources or electronics (as already suggested above). Another alternative is to supplement the Heresies with a sub woofer (does not need to be expensive, & also suggested above).

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Moderators

I guess this one is fairly easy.

For about $450-650 you can get a set of Cornwalls (don't worry if they are originals or the 2's). Big improvement for fairly little money, and much more dramatic then swapping sources or electronics (as already suggested above). Another alternative is to supplement the Heresies with a sub woofer (does not need to be expensive, & also suggested above).

Good Luck,

-Tom

[Y]

Many thanks for the input.

The left channel on the HK430 just pooched (still works on mono so its the preamp) and it is just the Kenwood now.

I am looking into upgrading the cartridge for the TT as a first thing at this point.

Does anyone know where I can get a service manual or schematics for the 430

the left channel was popping in and out and just the act of unplugging the source and plugging it back in would make it work again but now nada

any ideas

thanks again

Jim

Well.... just came into the possesion of a HK730 and with rabid anticipation hooked it up for that great sound with the Heresys and.....

it sounds aweful................. nasty and muddy with no prescence whatsoever ...... terribly disapointed

suggestions as to what to do to refurbish it or "freshen it up" would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Jim