RF3 vs Forte 2

quadklipsh

hi there

im a klipsch rf 3 recent owner and wud like to know if i can hv my hands on a forte 2 klipsch ,wud that be an upgrade from the rf3s or not . ill be using my quad 303 pre power amp to power em , n im a music man mostly . plz help out and suggest something quick. thanks in advance

IMHO, yes, the Forte II (I'm an owner) is going to be a significant step up. I may have heard the '3s long ago at Klipsch and they are good. There were many demoed for us at a Pilgrimage.

My guess is that Klipsch went to the RF series to have a product which is stylishly tall and thin -- and reach price points.

However, in my view, the Forte II must work better because of the greater area of the direct radiator, the big passsive radiator, the large tractrix midrange, and the tweeter. Those items made it expensive to manufacture and, in comparison, not so thin.

I'd suggest you find some Forte II, Quartets, or Chorus II.

Wm McD

• 2 weeks later...

dear william .mc d

i dont get it , why would a more newer speaker (rf-3) or any of the reference line gear, be less of a pleasure than the oldier models , which were bulit in times of lesser technology and lower tech machinery in those same factories owned by the same company ;)

and

why are the so called AV speakers always less pleasing or less desirable than the older MUSIC dedicated speakers like heritage series or the legends.

i listened to a forte 2 coupled with an adcom

the experience was nothing special

i came home and had a detailed listen to the same tracks on my bookshelf spkrs

and i dreadfully say that the klipsch adcom combo had failed to impress me

itt felt as though the highs from that super tweeter were restrained and the amp wudnt

let go the speakers to brighten up on the highs range

i felt as if there were no tweeters

[:S]

My first experience with Forte's was the same, only they were hooked up to Marantz. They sounded flat and lifeless. After all the reading I had done on Forte's/Klipsch, I knew it had to be the amp, I bought them anyway. After I got them home and hooked up to my Carver's they came to life in a BIG way. I bought a Denon AVR 3805 and they sound great! I now own 3 pair of Forte's [:D]

Get a modern SS setup to power your RF-3 HT and a vintage Marantz or tubes to power a pair of Forte's for 2 channel.

The main reason I think the Heritage/extended Heritage line of speakers sound better for 2 channel is the midrange horn.

Take a look at my system setups at bottom of page. Forte's and Quartet's sound awesome with low power vintage or high power seperates.

Bill

i listened to a forte 2 coupled with an adcom

the experience was nothing special

i dreadfully say that the klipsch adcom combo had failed to impress me

Well thats no surprise. There have been many of us preaching that for years. Adcom + Klipsch especially the Forte II/Chorus II is a big fat no no.

hi there willland

thats a heck of a rack of gear uv got !!! great job man

can u tell how much the stuff has been costing u

also plz suggest prices for chorus and fortes and of quartets equally

well

given the small differences in the looks are these extended heritage speakers any different in their

sounds too?

and wot differences were made in the mk 2 of each of these

plz illuminate

Get a modern SS setup to power your RF-3 HT and a vintage Marantz or tubes to power a pair of Forte's for 2 channel.

The main reason I think the Heritage/extended Heritage line of speakers sound better for 2 channel is the midrange horn.

Take a look at my system setups at bottom of page. Forte's and Quartet's sound awesome with low power vintage or high power seperates.

Bill

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, but when you say 'vintage marantz', what models specifically? And does that statement also apply to the Cornwalls? thanks

The Denon is for HT with a pair of Carver TFM-35's, and it does a GREAT job of 2 channel also.

BUT, I have H/K 430..630 and 930 twin power amp's and a H/K A500 tube amp for vintage 2 channel and a pair of CF2's.

You may want to do some research here and else where.... you will learn alot.

Amature it is not......

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, but when you say 'vintage marantz', what models specifically? And does that statement also apply to the Cornwalls? thanks

That kind of hijacking is legal. Any of the mid to late 70's Marantz receiver's(22** series or 23** series) sound great with Q's,F's,Ch's,H's,CW's.

Here is a link:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Bill

can u tell how much the stuff has been costing u

If you asked my wife she would say too much.

also plz suggest prices for chorus and fortes and of quartets equally

Looking at the way the market is today, used prices have a larger range.

Quartet's---------------$250.00 to $500.00

Forte's(I & II)------------------$350.00 to $650.00

Chorus's(I & I)----------------$375.00 to $750.00

These days asking prices are all over the board.

Take all this with a grain of salt. A motivated or uninformed seller will clearly be on the low end while others will try to sell them as if they are brand new.

I bought my Forte's(great condition) back in March for $450.00. At the time a good price. I saw an add for a pair of Forte's the other day for $200.00.

Bill

That kind of hijacking is legal. Any of the mid to late 70's Marantz receiver's(22** series or 23** series) sound great with Q's,F's,Ch's,H's,CW's.

Here is a link:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Bill

thanks willland, i will keep an eye out for some Vintage marantz on CL. would you be able to suggest a fair price for the 22** and 23** series in good used conditions?

would you be able to suggest a fair price for the 22** and 23** series in good used conditions?

I bought my 2252b for $125.00 a few months ago. The price range for the Marantz can be as little as $50.00 for 22** series to as much as $800.00 for 23** series. There are so many models of these receivers that rarity,wattage, and condition can play into the price you will pay.

Do an advanced search on Ebay and plug in some of the models and see what the completed listings closed at. Here is what I pulled up:

The last twenty 2230's(30w) sold for a low of $31.00 to a high of $227.50

The last two 2330's(130w) sold for $380.00 and $710.00

As you can see a huge range of prices.